Gear Review Steripen Adventurer Opti

From past experience I need one with a display. All the flashing lights and number of flashes and colors are really hard to remember in the field :)

I don't know about the others, but the opti is pretty basic. Green flashing light = it worked. Red flashing light = try again or replace batteries. :)

I don't know about the others, but the opti is pretty basic. Green flashing light = it worked. Red flashing light = try again or replace batteries. :)

Here is one of the earlier steripens (maybe the classic..)

"Here's the daunting list of what you're supposed to memorized I guess (from the manual):

Operating Signals
Green, fast flashing (after button push)...Unit is armed and ready to treat water
Green, slow flashing: 1 second on,
1 second off (after dose completion)...1 liter (32 fl. oz.) dose completed
Green, steady (after dose completion)...0.5 liters (16 fl. oz.) dose completed
Green blinks for 15 seconds followed
by a quick Red flash...Time expired, try again. The user has 15
seconds to put the SteriPEN™ in water
after activation.
Green flash followed by Red flash...(1) Dry water sensing pins before use.
(2) Press On/Off Button for 1 second to
activate for 32 oz. timer; again for 16 oz.
(3) Clean water sensing pins.
Red, steady...Dose incomplete. Repeat treatment.
Battery Warnings
Red, fast flashing...Replace or recharge batteries
Green slow blinking with Red flashes...1liter (32 Fl. Oz.) dose completed;
battery getting low
Green, steady with Red flashes...0.5 liter (16 Fl. Oz.) dose completed; battery getting low
LED will not come on...(1) Charge or replace batteries(2) Clean battery contacts
(3) Return SteriPEN™ for repair
Lamp Warnings
Red 2 flashes, Green 2 flashes (repeating)...Over 7,900 treatments completed; lamp replacement needed in under 100 doses
Red 3 flashes, Green 1 flash (repeating)...Lamp failure; replace lamp
UV lamp emits no visible blue light...Lamp failure. Follow warranty procedure"

Good luck memorizing that......:frantic:

OK, I need this this weekend. Warranty on my Journey is 3 years and mine is 1.75 years old. Off to REI for replacement. I don't see this model available so I will go with one like the Adventure with a display or the Adventure if there is no such animal. I don't know that I would like the solar recharged one - it looks like it would take a long time to recharge.

Will take mine back. It was an impulse purchase you know. I need a trip to REI in a really bad way. sigh....

Well REI took back my 2 year old failed Steripen Journey and gave me a full refund. GO REI! They didn't have an Adventurer on the shelf so now I am in the market. The Cambelback water bottle cover UV light was over 1# so too heavy for me.