Snake River Petroglyphs, Swan Falls Dam to Wees Bar

Ben

On sunday we went out to the Snake River at Swan Falls Dam. We walked across the dam and then down the river for three and a half miles to Wees Bar where i had read there were some good petroglyphs. We only saw a couple other people on the side of the river we were walking on, but on the other side there is a gravel road that is well used for access to the river.

Some big fish below the dam.
DSCF3128.JPG

Small rapid on the Snake.
DSCF3132.JPG

Giant gravel left by the Bonneville Flood.
DSCF3133.JPG

An other giant gravel bar down canyon.
DSCF3136.JPG

Brittinei said she saw a tail indicating this was a beaver.
DSCF3137.JPG

Looks like an old oven at the Priest Ranch site.
DSCF3141.JPG

And an old foundation.
DSCF3144.JPG

DSCF3145.JPG

An other rapid.
DSCF3148.JPG

Remnants of an orchard. From the other side the trees are in rows.
DSCF3150.JPG

DSCF3151.JPG

There's a big pipe coming down from the canyon rim to the river.
DSCF3155.JPG

The rounded boulders left from the Bonneville Flood is referred to as 'melon gravel'. This is the start of it at Wees Bar.
DSCF3159.JPG

I wasn't certain that i'd even find any petroglyphs here. I'd never been before, i didn't know what to expect. But i found them. This one looks like a chinese character.
DSCF3163.JPG

Once i found it though, i could barely turn around with out finding an other rock covered. All of the glyphs were on southern faces in the rocks that the sun keeps from being covered by lichen.
DSCF3164.JPG

All abstract shapes. No sheep or anthropomorphs here. Suns were identifiable. Lots of dots, geometrics, and squiggles.
DSCF3169.JPG

DSCF3174.JPG

DSCF3175.JPG

DSCF3178.JPG

DSCF3182.JPG

DSCF3183.JPG

In the distance you can see the Owyhee Mountains.
DSCF3184.JPG

DSCF3185.JPG

DSCF3192.JPG

Closest thing i found to anthropomorphic.
DSCF3195.JPG

DSCF3198.JPG

DSCF3199.JPG

DSCF3200.JPG

DSCF3206.JPG

DSCF3209.JPG

This rock was probably my favorite.
DSCF3213.JPG

DSCF3218.JPG

DSCF3220.JPG

DSCF3226.JPG

Different rock than the one above. Just similarly shaped.
DSCF3230.JPG

DSCF3231.JPG

You can't really tell, but this is probably the biggest lizard i've ever seen in Idaho.
DSCF3236.JPG

DSCF3240.JPG

DSCF3246.JPG

And then we walked back. I probably was only out there for about a half hour, but we got a late start, about five, and we barely made it back before it was actually dark.
DSCF3259.JPG

DSCF3260.JPG

DSCF3262.JPG

Dinner.
DSCF3264.JPG

We turned around at just the right time.
DSCF3266.JPG

Swan Falls Dam at night.
DSCF3271.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Love the petroglyphs. I'm amazed at how prolific those Anasazi were in graffiti-ing up the whole southwest. Seems like they're all over the place out there.

Reactions: Ben
Gorgeous photos! Is this over in terms Hells Canyon area? I've been there once many years ago and would love to go back.

I have a picture of some petroglyphs I found over in central Oregon a couple of summers ago over around Cove Palisades Lake Billy Chinook area. Am going to try and get back to that area in the next month or two.

Not near Hells Canyon, these are south of Kuna, Idaho.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
Georgia Yankee Snake River; Wolverine, Coulter, Pilgrim Creeks, July-Aug. 2022 Backpacking 18
P Yellowstone Snake River weekend Backpacking 7
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Snake River, Heart Lake, and South Boundary Trail Backpacking 13
Duke River Snorkeling in the South Fork of the Snake On The Water 9
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Heart Lake down to the Snake River Backpacking 12
Nick Snake River Hotshots 2013 General Discussion 1
PureLightImages Rafting the Snake River and Other Shenanigans - July 2012 On The Water 3
Duke Fall Creek Falls, Snake River Idaho On The Water 8
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Udink Solstice Snake Hiking & Camping 2
wnorton Snake Gulch (Freedonia, AZ) Trip Planning 10
IntrepidXJ Snake Gulch Hiking & Camping 0
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
kwc Cedar River Flow, Central Adirondacks On The Water 1
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Gila River - Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - April 18, 2022 Backpacking 61
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4