Silver Glance Lake

andyjaggy

Towards the end of September I wanted to get one more over nighter in before fall set in. My co-worker and I had talked about going backpacking together all year long and we finally decided it was that weekend or it wasn't going to happen. We wanted to head up to the Uintas since he had never been up there, but circumstances necessitated something a bit closer to home. So we decided on doing something up American Fork canyon instead.

I have hiked to Silver Lake probably 10 time over the last few years, it's kind of my go to hike when I don't know what else to do. However I had never made it up to the higher lake before. We got off work at about 4:00 and headed up the canyon, it's about an hour drive up to where the trail starts at Silver Flat reservoir. At this point in the year the reservoir was a muddy pond, though there were still people fishing it.

We headed up the popular and well maintained trail about 5:00 and made pretty good time. For anyone who hasn't done this hike it's really quite lovely. A little bit of everything, a few small stream crossings, a waterfall, nice aspen groves, and wonderful views of White Baldy all the way up to the lake. It's about 2.5 - 3.0 miles to the lower lake, with moderate elevation gain. When we got to the lower lake we discovered hordes of mosquitoes.... no actually scout troops, and even though it was getting late we decided we didn't want to camp by a bunch of scouts, so we headed up to the upper lake. It's a shame too because that lake was absolutely buzzing with fish, one was breaking the surface every 2-3 seconds or so.

There is no trail to the upper lake so we consulted the GPS and just headed straight up the slope. It was pretty grueling, my GPS said it was over a mile with something like 1200 feet of elevation gain. We eventually made it to the lake about an hour before dark, found a nice spot to setup camp and just sat around and enjoyed the evening.

In the morning we hiked up the north slope hoping to get a good sunrise, it was pretty, and Silver Glance lake is really a pretty lake, or pond since it is quite small, but without any clouds the sunrise was not anything to get excited about. I will definitely want to visit again with better conditions, perhaps earlier in the year when it's a bit greener. On our way out that morning we actually stumbled upon a faint trail leading away from the lake, we were able to follow the trail all the way to the lower lake, so there is a trail, if you can find it. I have a GPS track that I will post up later if I can remember.

Some nice morning light on the pines. Always nice.

silver_glance_01.jpg

White Baldy just before reaching Silver Lake.

silver_glance_02.jpg

The view when we first got to the lake. Red Baldy in the background.

silver_glance_03.jpg

Silver Glance lake with Timp in the background. Too bad we didn't have any clouds.

silver_glance_04.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

awesome Lone Peak Wilderness stoke.

the setting of that little lake is so full of win. its almost hard to fathom that that little gem is only a few miles from the bustling metropolis of the Wasatch front.

I've ski-toured in and around that area but never bothered the explore that pocket of the LPW during the summertime. curious if you have ever completed or contemplated a link up of silver glance lake -> white pine lake -> red pine lakes (-> maybird ponds). I just might have to giv'er this summer.

thanks for posting up the stoke.

We live right near the mouth of the canyon, and we head up there weekly when the snow is melted. Hit me up if you're ever looking for hiking buddies, my wife and I would love to join. This summer we want to hike from horsetail falls over the saddle down into silver lake flats. We also have a trip planned to lake hardy, lone peak, and others.

awesome Lone Peak Wilderness stoke.

the setting of that little lake is so full of win. its almost hard to fathom that that little gem is only a few miles from the bustling metropolis of the Wasatch front.

I've ski-toured in and around that area but never bothered the explore that pocket of the LPW during the summertime. curious if you have ever completed or contemplated a link up of silver glance lake -> white pine lake -> red pine lakes (-> maybird ponds). I just might have to giv'er this summer.

thanks for posting up the stoke.

I've wanted to hike over the ridge into red pine. I've hiked red pine lake once, and I've now done silver glance lake, it would be fun to connect the two with a through hike.

I always feel that way in the Wasatch, there are areas that are really nice and feel like true wilderness, except in the back of my head I know that there are 2 million people only a few miles away.

We live right near the mouth of the canyon, and we head up there weekly when the snow is melted. Hit me up if you're ever looking for hiking buddies, my wife and I would love to join. This summer we want to hike from horsetail falls over the saddle down into silver lake flats. We also have a trip planned to lake hardy, lone peak, and others.

That would be a fun hike over the saddle. I went from silver flat up to the saddle below Box Elder Peak two years ago, I ran out of water so I had to turn around at that point, but it was a really pretty trail. There is a gorgeous meadow at the top, and just before that a really nice boulder field with some great views of Timp. I'll have to hit you up this summer.

Awesome. We are planning on camping in that meadow as long as the weather and winds aren't bad. Please do hit us up if you're ever looking for hiking partners.

Awesome. We are planning on camping in that meadow as long as the weather and winds aren't bad. Please do hit us up if you're ever looking for hiking partners.

Will do. I'm always looking for people to go with. My wife doesn't like me going alone, though it never seems to stop me. ;)

That's a great last night out. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get my bag night challenge 2014 going.

Salud!