?'s about tents

I was hoping to get into a 3 person tent, it may be a little more weight but I am sure I will end up needing it on occasion.

I noticed the copper spur ul3 is 20% off now at backcountry. The rei quarter dome 3 seems very similar and is about the same price but has a little larger packing volume.

Hope to make up my mind before these deals dry up.

I like trekking pole tents but not in the desert. Sometimes you get a spot that has good soil for it but soft sand is the worst. I'd go for a freestanding or better yet, a trekking pole tent for mountains and a freestanding for the desert. Source: too much experience pitching trekking pole tents in the desert.
I'm pretty quick to rely on the whole "rocks atop the stakes" fallback when pitching on sand or rock. Thought about getting a free-standing shelter a few times, but honestly for the number of times that 1) I actually need to use my tent in the dry intermountain west and 2) I can't just "make-do", I can't justify dropping that kind of coin on a lightweight freestanding tent

Maybe a little off topic, but I now secure my free standing tent (in sand) like this: We bought some very large tent stakes, dig a hole at each staked corner, lay the tent stake sideways through the tent loop at the bottom of the hole, fill it back with sand the pour water over the filled in hole and tamp it down. Add sand as necessary then pour more water on it.

Mids! No doubt. Lightest, most versatile 3-4 person shelter option. Storm safe, too. A lot of companies make them, but we did our own. If you don't use trekking poles you can get a 4 part alu or carbon pole from many places.

Staking out in the desert is hardly a problem with lengths of string and some creative solutions. Bugs in the mountains are handily negotiated with a screen skirt.

image by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

String to reach out to bushes, boulders, sharp little corners of bedrock, bunch grasses, anything. Throw a wide glance, there always seem to be something solid to anchor to. Strong twine is light, so I bring plenty. Weigh it down with rocks near the tent to keep from lifting in wind. Or wrap dead branches, rocks, sand filled stuffsacks/dirty socks with cord and bury them. Put rocks on the surface and along the cord if gusty.

Sure, lots of work, but usually time is plentyful out there. And socalled free standing designs do not completely eliminate the need to secure things to the ground. Many have stake out flys or vestibules, or if not sudden wind can still mess with lightly loaded tents when you go take shots of sunset.

Edit: I do not bring any stakes in the desert. It's typically either sand or rock, so I rely solely on above methods.

Last edited:
That makes sense, but the free standing tents don't come most of the way down when one of those stakes pulls out. It's the part about getting it taught that causes me the most headache, not just getting it good enough to pull my vestibule out enough. I guess it still sounds like a comparable pain in the ass and that is exactly why I'm not a fan of non-freestanding in sandy situations. But to be fair, in the desert, I'm usually inclined to just ditch the tent altogether whenever possible.

Maybe I was not clear, but only rocks at corners and/or depending on a few packs inside to keep things in place is not what I'm advocating.

I want my tent to be anchored, like a boat facing a hurricane or a hanging belay on a wall. Among the other methods I suggest the buried sand filled stuffsack done correctly is actually quite bomber. I'll admit the socks were anecdotal.

Curious, what is your reason for a 3 person tent for two people? Personally I am a huge fan of the Sierra Designs tents. Free standing is the way to go if you aren't sure you'll have trekking poles or not, and follow Nicks advice about the desert. The SD Flash and Lightning tents are great options.

Because I am sure I will end up with 3 people on occasion. It's just my little boy and I now but my oldest boy, who is in the Marines may want to go when he is on leave, and who knows if I'll find a gal or not.

I've been pretty sick but I am hoping to get out today and look at a couple at REI that have me interested.

Thanks for all the help, A LOT more options than what I thought!

Because I am sure I will end up with 3 people on occasion. It's just my little boy and I now but my oldest boy, who is in the Marines may want to go when he is on leave, and who knows if I'll find a gal or not.

I've been pretty sick but I am hoping to get out today and look at a couple at REI that have me interested.

Thanks for all the help, A LOT more options than what I thought!

Good Luck on your adventure at REI. Let us know what you end up getting.

Bigagnes.com......... 40% off prodeal code...........BA16CWinterOR ..... said good till 5/1/16

Thank Bob! I did not get out today, still fighting a bad cold.

I think I am down to the big Agnes copper spur ul3 and the rei quarter dome 3. They seem really similar on paper, not sure if anyone can give good info on the new models. I've read the rei tents have come down in weight over the last 2 years. But packing dimensions may put this in favor of the BA. Either way I think I would get a good tent with ability to star watch without the cover when not needed.

I really want to thank everyone for all the help and questions you ask! It helps me think about how I will be camping, where, when and with how many people. Much appreciated!

I always -1 from the person rating on a tent. I like to have my gear in there with me, and usually a dog or two. Oh, and I like having more than a few inches between my head and the person next to me. :) My 'solo' tent is a 2-person.
Same here.. My solo tent is a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. This also let me use my wider air mattress when car camping. Love the quality of the Copper Spur and fairly low weight.

Packing size is relative.... I pack my tarptent rainbow in a stuff sack the size of a 20 oz water bottle....poles slid down the inside corner of my pack. That's why you go look or measure tent dimensions.......so you don't get a two Chinese person size. Don't know about BA.....but tarptent are made in the USA....a plus for me

:)