Running Shoes vs Boots

Nice. I think one key to being able to ditch the boots for trail runners is to have a lightish pack. For a 13 lb overnighter, trail runners for me all the way.

If I were doing a trip with a 30-40lb pack, I'd want the stability of a lightweight boot. Ankle support doesn't do anything for me, but having a sturdier sole that can take the weight is nice.

I 100% agree with the waterproof comment too, at least for the type of hiking I do. I only use waterproof boots while snowshoeing.

Nice article, thanks Andy. I've been thinking about making the switch for a while. I looked into the Altra Lone Peak shoes they recommended at the end. The article recommended the Lone Peak 1.5 which are 1 lb 4 oz and I was thinking "eh only 5 oz lighter than my North Face boots (1lb 9 oz) http://www.rei.com/product/868433/altra-lone-peak-15-trail-running-shoes-mens#tab-description

But then I found online there's now a Lone Peak 2.0 which are only 13 oz. That's 12 oz lighter than my frickin North Face boots which according to the article is pretty significant since the weight is being carried on your feet. And they're fully synthetic (usually my limiting factor), so I picked them up on Zappos despite them looking a little goofy. There's a little video of them here: http://www.zappos.com/altra-zero-drop-footwear-lone-peak-2-yellow Figured they are worth a try, but the boots will still have to stay on another month or two until the snow melts.

What I have realized with waterproofing is... it's just not worth it. I would rather have a shoe I can get wet and have dry in 30 minutes, than a big boot that is supposedly waterproof, will most likely get wet at some point anyway, and then will take the next day to dry out.

One other thing to consider when switching trail running shoes is the amount of heel drop they have. A lot of the altras are zero drop shoes. From what I understand, if you're not used to zero drop shoes, you'll need to slowly work up to it. Simply going from a 22mm heel rise to a 0 drop will be painful and exhausting. Maybe get a pair of 5-10mm drop for a few months before going to a zero drop.

If altra made a shoe with more heel rise, I'd be all over them. I'm not ready for zero drop yet, my legs aren't conditioned enough yet.

More info here:
http://www.altrarunning.com/webapp/...8952&pageTitle=Transition&pageName=Transition

Last edited:
There are several articles written about basketball shoes and that hightops do not offer any more ankle support than low tops. If you need ankle support, buy ankle braces.

I run in barefoot style, zero drop shoes. I'm used to the different stride, stance, etc. I've taken them on a few trips and have decided they are definitely not for me while backpacking. They are the worst for smaller stone walking, ie. dry creek beds and such. You feet just end up bruised, and your toes are in pain. The specific shoe I use for running is the Merrell Glove.

I've bought three pairs of Merrell Moab's the past three years, for me, a good middle ground between enough, and not enough.

Hiking in the Uintas where there are lots of rocky passes, trail runners would suck in those situations.
I was very thankful for my sturdy hiking boots crossing Anderson Pass last August!

I'm not sure I will go with a true trail runner. I was thinking something along the lines of the Merrell Moab. It would still shave about 2 pounds off what I am currently using.

I used to be a boot guy myself and for all the same reasons in Dave Collins lays in that article, began to experiment with trail runners (I'm a runner too, so I already had some) and some other lighter weight hiking shoes last year.

I bought a pair of these Merrell Mix Master Trail Runners on sale last year and haven't regretted it. Despite still being waterproof and having a mid cut, they are still rather light at about 12 oz per shoe, sturdy, and great traction that is very grippy. I can romp around in the snow and take them through a shallow stream without any moisture getting into them but like any other shoe, they would certainly give way to water if they remained submerged in water. Despite the waterproof barrier supposedly being breathable as well, they do have a tendency to get a little warm on summer hikes and leading to some sweaty feet. However, they are so snug that there is no friction with my feet and thus have not yet gotten any hot spots yet. I think a snug fit is important at preventing blisters because it greatly reduces the friction on your feet. This is a reason why people who use trail runners report very few to no blisters, even after hiking several dozen miles on a trip. I've found that the shoes excel best on my spring and fall hikes when weather can be cool and trails can be a bit muddy and wet from snowmelt and so forth. While the outer sole is awesome for how thin it is, I don't know that they would be sturdy enough to keep my feet from getting too sore on the longer distance and rockier trails and passes of the Uintas and the like.

The other pair I alternate to are these low-cut hikers by Hi Tec. They are much more breathable and have a sturdier sole for rockier terrain and quite cushy under my feet. I primarily use these in the summer and up in places like the Uintas. When these wear out, I'd be interested in seeing how a pair of low cut Merrell Moab Ventillators feel.

What @steve says about lighter weight packs is correct. If you are still carrying more traditional and heavier gear loads, I'd look at a pair of the lighter weight but sturdier and more breathable hiking shoes rather than actual trail runners. Your feet will probably thank you, especially if you frequent places with rocky trails and rugged trails like the Uintas. For what it's worth, I saw a pair of these today at Sportsmans Warehouse and just for fun, tried them on. They were very cushy and felt good, but I'm not sure how their durability would be. Interestingly, when you look up the brand's website address, pacifictrail.com, it redirects to Columbia's site.

Regardless what you decide on, buying shoes can be an overwhelming process and brands are constantly stirring things up and will come up with a great model, a perfect model sometimes, that they will end up breaking in an attempt to "improve" it. For this reason, when you find a shoe you really really like and that likes you back, sometimes it's worth splurging on a few extra pair of the same. Also, different brands will fit different people differently and thus feel more comfortable. When I was a passionate and avid runner burning through a few pairs of shoes every year, Aasics were a favorite of many, but they never felt as good under my feet. I found always found Saucony and Nike to be the most comfortable under my feet above all other brands the running stores would carry.

That Cleverhiker site is pretty nice. I stumbled upon it last year through looking up videos on Youtube about lightweight and ultralight systems. Dave Collins has a YouTube channel with videos that I've enjoyed while learning more about lightweight options for various kinds of gear and so forth. They have pretty good production value.

There are several articles written about basketball shoes and that hightops do not offer any more ankle support than low tops. If you need ankle support, buy ankle braces.
I've always thought that but never knew it was true. The few high top boots I had did nothing for my ankles.

Spot on, but I really don't ever recall a sweaty foot problem in lightweight waterproof trail shoes. At least no more than in non-waterproof ones. I'll have to focus on it a little more this year, maybe I just didn't notice. Boots suck.

I like a lightweight mid boot mainly because I am always smacking the side of my foot on rocks and stuff, especially when climbing boulder-strewn mountains and talus slopes. The mid height is more for protection from rocks than ankle support for me.

As far as the 5 reasons, I disagree:
Weight - My Scarpa's weigh 2lb 12oz for both.
Blister's - pretty much never.
Waterproof - until it goes over the top, wetness from inside - see blisters.
Ankle support - yes they do, I have two repaired ankle ligaments and I can tell they have more support than my 'runners'.
Demanding/breakin - No, fit like a glove first put on and feet don't get tired in them, buy the right size, see blisters.

Have you worn runners with a heavier load - no cushion on the rocks.
How abut across a scree field
or a snow field
or soaked in the rain

Don't believe everything you read...............................

Have you worn runners with a heavier load - no cushion on the rocks.
How abut across a scree field
or a snow field
or soaked in the rain
I think that's the key to selecting the appropriate footwear right there. With the article referenced in the OP, it was in context of hiking with ultralight loads and I would add, who also plan to stick with well trodden trails. If hiking with more traditional loads, traveling off trail and cross country, across scree fields, snow fields, and so forth, you're probably going to want to seek something with a sturdier sole and perhaps a mid to high cut, especially if you're not a gaiter person.

That's the problem so many people following 'gurus' or how to articles. They are professing or writing what works for them, everyone's style and use is different.......... research, research from many sources to get what works for you as the individual...... :)

Rather than trying to find the answer through endless research, i'd rather just try them and find out if they're for me. If I dont like them, no big deal. I'll still have my boots and I'll use the trail runners at the gym and for running.

By research I meant the correct boots for the terrain and the correct size for your feet. Each manufacture is different in sizing, stiffness, etc. To each his own on boots, but you don't want to blow the shoes or your feet out halfway thru a trip....