Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 focusing

BJett

Who is shooting with this lens, and how did you figure out infinity? Just bought one, I have a Canon 6D.
Do you use Live View for focusing? I want to use for daytime landscapes and night photography.

Reading lots of people have had trouble focusing this lens, they are not all built the same apparently.
Any tips would be appreciated!

I use the same setup (6D and Rokinin 14mm). For night shots I have always used the hyperfocal distance (not infinity) which I figure out with an app on my phone. Has always worked well for me.

Hyperfocal for 14mm at 2.8 with a full frame is about 7' 7.5". I would normally set my focus around 8 feet which would keep everything from just under 4 feet in front of the camera to infinity in acceptable focus.

Excellent, thanks!
Hope to get out and play with it this weekend. Daytime shots for now.

Randy , how do you set it to focus at say 8'? Illuminate something 8' away (in the dark) in order to manually focus at 8'? Use some type of distance gradation ring on the lens?

I had a Sammy 14mm and I bought it used, as copy variation was (may have gotten better by now?) insane. Mine was dead on with focus, and was my favorite lens until I got the 14-24.

Live view is a huge help. I had a D700 when i had the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, so live view wasn't as good as the newer cameras. If you can zoom in 100%, you should get great results. Make sure you have extra batteries though