Recommended me a 4 person tent on a budget

humble hiker

This will be for when the kid(s) go with so not real far or difficult terrain.

Shooting for about 5-6 pounds including stakes, guy lines, etc. Hopefully under $200. Don't want to go the Walmart route, again.

You're criteria doesn't exist. Cheap, light and sturdy. Pick two.

But seriously, your best bet would be to snatch something up with a coupon on Sierra Trading Post or similar. <$200 for a high quality, sub 6 pound, 4 man tent probably isn't going to happen without getting really lucky.

You're criteria doesn't exist. Cheap, light and sturdy. Pick two.

But seriously, your best bet would be to snatch something up with a coupon on Sierra Trading Post or similar. <$200 for a high quality, sub 6 pound, 4 man tent probably isn't going to happen without getting really lucky.
Appreciate it! Think I'll go to 7 pound save another $100 or so then try my luck. Just wanted to see what criteria I needed to adjust.

Try the big box stores: Academy Sports, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain. Some of their tents are in between Walmart and REI. They also have massive sales on occasion.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REI Camp Dome 4 is about 8 lbs and $200. Also Half Dome 4 is less than 7 lbs and $300. If you can wait, catch the next 20% off sale and save a bunch of money. Both tents are pretty nice for the price with aluminum poles and lots of other features. Best part is , if you don't like it, you have up to a year to return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the Mountainsmith Genesee 4 for uses just like what you described. Full price is $199. It's listed multiple places online for $150: https://www.backcountryedge.com/mountainsmith-genesee-4.html?gclid=CPHgnbbXldECFZJlfgodN18Dlg
just over 6lbs.

STP has a 6lb 7oz Mountainsmith Equinox that looks pretty similar for $139. Pretty easy to round up or wait for a 20-30% off coupon and get that closer to $100. With that basic two pole dome design, I don't think either fits into the super sturdy category, but they're probably better quality than walmart's brand.

You may want to look into the Black Diamond Megalight or similar such as Sierra Designs Mountain Guide. They are about 2.7 lbs. You could add a Coglands bug screen for $5 and a $1 painters drop cloth or a tyvek floor pulled up around the edges to form a bathtub shape like a tent. Have each of the kids responsible for one part of the tent and start them off as ultralight campers. Buy used and it would be $175 or less. Just make sure you seam seal it with the specific sealant if you get a new silnylon tent or tarp.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Pstm13 that megalight may be tight but I like the way you think. At that weight I'd take it when only a 2 person shelter is needed and for the prices I'm finding its very reasonable to suit all my needs.

Those BD Megalights are an awesome choice if you're cool with the floor situation. I've waited out storms with 4 adults in them. They aren't that tight.

Those BD Megalights are an awesome choice if you're cool with the floor situation. I've waited out storms with 4 adults in them. They aren't that tight.
Floorless is fine its the bugs that bothers everyone but me, so a net is a must. When I said four person I forgot to count the golden retriever [emoji2]

Costco down quilt $40 for 2 quilts. I'm not sure how warm they would be for kids but thought I would forward the info. My main problem has been getting a huge kid sleeping bag in my pack with my own gear. One time I went without a sleeping bag (slept in my rain gear) and just carried my 8 year old daughters sleeping bag. These are light enough they could carry there own quilt and at $20 each you can't beat that. I do not own one so keep that in mind but there are a lot of reviews online.

Costco down quilt $40 for 2 quilts. I'm not sure how warm they would be for kids but thought I would forward the info. My main problem has been getting a huge kid sleeping bag in my pack with my own gear. One time I went without a sleeping bag (slept in my rain gear) and just carried my 8 year old daughters sleeping bag. These are light enough they could carry there own quilt and at $20 each you can't beat that. I do not own one so keep that in mind but there are a lot of reviews online.
Thanks! I just got two from sams club. This is how we solved the packable kids bag dilemma. Bought another adult bag, they actually pack smaller than any kid bag. If your interested it was the kelty tuck 30, 2.5 pounds compresses to about 9x8. Its actually en rated too for under $100.

The down quilts equate to about 50 degrees according to the homework people did on another forum. Heard they work real nice in a sol bivy. They are so light and cheap with many uses.

Thanks! I just got two from sams club. This is how we solved the packable kids bag dilemma. Bought another adult bag, they actually pack smaller than any kid bag. If your interested it was the kelty tuck 30, 2.5 pounds compresses to about 9x8. Its actually en rated too for under $100.

The down quilts equate to about 50 degrees according to the homework people did on another forum. Heard they work real nice in a sol bivy. They are so light and cheap with many uses.
I found some TNF Aleutian bags on close out just after that happened several years ago. I think they are under 2 lbs. but I have since picked up down bags for everyone.