podcast

Duke

Mountain Carver
Nick, why dont you create and provide a monthly podcast. Backpack info, latest TR, etc would be perfect. Digital recorders are cheapo cheap now and the mp3 is easily edited in freeware like audacity or even better in Sony Vegas if you have that for your video. There are very few backpacking, backcountry podcast available out there so the market is open.

That's a pretty cool idea, actually. I'll look into it. Thanks, Duke. :)

I know this is old, but I would be interested in helping put this together.

I also have the equipment, and most of the know how do get it done.

bump.

+1 for BCP podcasts.

I know this is old, but I would be interested in helping put this together.

I also have the equipment, and most of the know how do get it done.

look, if slc-dan's spoken word is anything like his written word, i'd move right on up to the first pew. can i get an "amen" from the BCP congregation!

I love the idea. I did quite a bit of research over this past winter on making this happen but never got it off the ground.

slc_dan - what do you think we need in the way of equipment? I'm down with buying what is needed but it was kind of confusing trying to figure out what is really needed. I've read that Garage Band on the mac can be a great multi-track recording method but getting it all in there and monitoring feedback etc. can be an issue.

Is there anyone else who would want to be involved? I'm no podcast expert but I think that it would require a couple of regular people on board and ideally something like a guest host every month to keep things interesting. If anyone is interested in being a part of this, let it be known.

Well... I do radio for a living and can certainly help with the technical side of things. I have the necessary equipment for a basic set-up and possess the know-how. Feel free to hit me up via PM if you'd like to discuss details.

ashergrey can certainly talk with more expertise than I. My background with recording is music, and less spoken word.

I'm not sure what the standard is for recording podcast style shows, but I'm not a fan of Garageband. I use Reaper as my DAW of choice. Free to try, very efficient, and very customizable. It's also cheap when you buy it.

As far as gear goes, It's much like cameras. You can go as deep down as you want. I've got everything we'd need, and it's easy to transport.

I listen to a few podcasts and as long as they have a consistent format, the sky is the limit in my opinion. I listen to one that runs roughly 1.5 hours every day (Adam Carolla) and a couple others that only run 30 minutes (a survival podcast). I would also be consistent with the release dates of each podcast so your listeners know when to expect it. Every monday and friday I know I can get Jay Mohr's podcast. Carolla's (the #1 most downloaded podcast) is a Mon-Fri format, which is likely mostly due to demand. So pick a day of the week to release it, or every other week, etc.

I'd love to hear a podcast geared more toward outdoor stuff I like. It seems most "outdoor" podcasts out there are for the "hunter" audience. It would be cool to have topics on specific hikes and as others said, special guests, maybe outdoor/environmental issues that are hot topics, etc.

ashergrey can certainly talk with more expertise than I. My background with recording is music, and less spoken word.

I've done some band production as well. Adobe Audition's waveform editor is king of the hill when you want fine-grained control of your recordings. Its multitrack editor is also very flexible. For music I prefer Apple Logic.

You can scale recording a podcast a couple of ways. A simple handheld recorder with multiple mic inputs works fine to get a couple of voice tracks down. Or you can step that up to using a full outboard mixer while recording right into your DAW.

To really set a BCP podcast apart, I'd consider field recording whenever possible. Bring the listener along for the trip. I'm going to be experimenting with something along those lines for my employer a bit later this month.

This thread has me super excited!!! I have no experience in podcast production but would be very interested in helping do something. And i agree most outdoor podcasts are directed at hunter's, fisher's and ATVer's. The backcountry has so much more to offer, and more remote as well. We have the deserts to the northwest rainforest. Long-trails with all the interesting people, to local high-altitude lakes that are as solitudinous as space (minus the megafauna). River trips to technical canyoneering adventures. I'm saying this would be sweet. sign me up.