Please don't be hatin' on me cuz i'm from Pennsylvania...

ruffterrain

Hey all,
New here and very happy to be part of this community. PA is the place I call home and the place where my boots get broken-in, but aforementioned boots almost always find themselves being put to the test every August/September in northwest WY. Am uncontrollably drawn to the wild, and to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem in general, and to the Absaroka Mtns in particular. The Washakie Wilderness and the Teton Wilderness right next door are where my boots seem to hit their stride.
Anyways, nuff about me. Looking forward to hearing about the forum members' wild treks throughout the intermountain west and beyond.

---Ruffterrain

Darn Pennsylvanians! Welcome to BCP. ;)
I hear ya, Nick! Not a heckuva lot of backcountry left in the Alleghenies any more...I admit that. That's the main reason why vacation time always seems to find me near a longitude closer to your neck of the woods.

Where exactly in PA are you? I have a friend who is trying to buy property in Lehigh County.
WestcentralPA---about midway between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. Don't know much about Lehigh...lived in Lebanon Co years ago, but spent most of my time west of the Susquehanna River.

Oh so your pretty far from me. I can make it to the PA border in about 1:15 but you sound like another 4 or 5 hrs further. I tend to think of there being two types of Pennsylvanians geographically speaking... Eagles fans and Steelers fans. Your from Steeler country.

Hey all,
boots almost always find themselves being put to the test every August/September in northwest WY. Am uncontrollably drawn to the wild, and to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem in general, and to the Absaroka Mtns in particular. The Washakie Wilderness and the Teton Wilderness right next door are where my boots seem to hit their stride.

Welcome to the site. Would love to read some trip reports of your past trips if you feel like sharing.

Oh so your pretty far from me. I can make it to the PA border in about 1:15 but you sound like another 4 or 5 hrs further. I tend to think of there being two types of Pennsylvanians geographically speaking... Eagles fans and Steelers fans. Your from Steeler country.
VH,
Yep, you're right about NFL/geographical divide in PA, and yes, I am in Steelers country. But there is one other NFL fan contingent here. Down along the I-83 corridor from Harrisburg and points south...big time Baltimore Ravens country. (yuck, spew, gack!!!)

Welcome to the site. Would love to read some trip reports of your past trips if you feel like sharing.
Joey,
Will do, except that I am probably the most photographically challenged backpacker you will ever meet. It's not that I can't work the little picture-taking machine mind you, it's just that I'm lax (aka lazy) when it comes to photographically recording my sojourns. So you'll have to suffer through my blahdy-blahdy-blah verbiage for now.

That said, this forum may be just what I need to prod me to get the camera out more often. The photography that the memebers share on this site is beyond words. I am impressed and amazed. And humbled too.

Joey,
Will do, except that I am probably the most photographically challenged backpacker you will ever meet. It's not that I can't work the little picture-taking machine mind you, it's just that I'm lax (aka lazy) when it comes to photographically recording my sojourns. So you'll have to suffer through my blahdy-blahdy-blah verbiage for now.

That said, this forum may be just what I need to prod me to get the camera out more often. The photography that the memebers share on this site is beyond words. I am impressed and amazed. And humbled too.

Don't worry about pictures. Its the stories that matter. You name dropped some of the most rugged, spectacular country in the lower 48 states :). I've never been to the Washakie, but several people I know speak of it incredibility. I have spent time in the Teton Wilderness backcountry, and have spent several hundred nights in the backcountry around the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. And countless more in the front country. What I have learned in time is that those of us who return year after year to this wilderness share something in common. I can't name it specifically, but it relates to that feeling you get when your sitting somewhere like the north fork of the Yellowstone, under Younts Peak. That feeling of being alive, of being out there, of being a part of life. I'm guessing by your post you have experienced that.

I really don't care about photography. I love photos as a way to peak someone's interest in a place. To show those who will never see it. To help illustrate a story. But as for photography as an art, its just that. No different than someone writing a rap song, or drawing a cartoon. Has more to do with the person, than the place. I respect these artists. But these people are different than me. We have different reasons for venturing into the backcountry.

The greatest picture you can ever take is when you don't take one at all. When you are in a beautiful place, and the light is perfect, and you know you have an amazing shot. But you don't take a picture. You just stay in that moment . Embrace it. Feel it. Be in that moment. Use all of your senses to experience it. And you will keep that experience with you forever. Leave the camera alone.

Well that was my long reply. My short reply is I would love to read your blahdy-blahdy-blah verbiage if you want to share. No pictures necessary. And welcome to these forums.

That was a beautiful soliloquy @Joey and I can relate to what you are trying to say about photography. For 10 years I never bothered taking pictures while hiking except for the occasional phone pic. It was more important for me to "unplug", be in the moment and let hiking be an existential experience. A few months ago I found this site and was suddenly exposed to the phenomenal photographic "artists" here. I have tremendous respect and admiration for them and what they do, but it wasn't so much their beautiful art as much as all of the wonderful sharing of experiences on this site via the trip reports that made me want to try my hand at taking better pictures. I get excited every time I see a new trip report is posted and now I look forward to sharing my experiences as well.

Last edited:
Don't worry about pictures. Its the stories that matter. You name dropped some of the most rugged, spectacular country in the lower 48 states :). I've never been to the Washakie, but several people I know speak of it incredibility. I have spent time in the Teton Wilderness backcountry, and have spent several hundred nights in the backcountry around the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. And countless more in the front country. What I have learned in time is that those of us who return year after year to this wilderness share something in common. I can't name it specifically, but it relates to that feeling you get when your sitting somewhere like the north fork of the Yellowstone, under Younts Peak. That feeling of being alive, of being out there, of being a part of life. I'm guessing by your post you have experienced that.

I really don't care about photography. I love photos as a way to peak someone's interest in a place. To show those who will never see it. To help illustrate a story. But as for photography as an art, its just that. No different than someone writing a rap song, or drawing a cartoon. Has more to do with the person, than the place. I respect these artists. But these people are different than me. We have different reasons for venturing into the backcountry.

The greatest picture you can ever take is when you don't take one at all. When you are in a beautiful place, and the light is perfect, and you know you have an amazing shot. But you don't take a picture. You just stay in that moment . Embrace it. Feel it. Be in that moment. Use all of your senses to experience it. And you will keep that experience with you forever. Leave the camera alone.

Well that was my long reply. My short reply is I would love to read your blahdy-blahdy-blah verbiage if you want to share. No pictures necessary. And welcome to these forums.

Joey,

Thanks for sharing those inspirational words. Wow, that 3rd paragraph of yours is pure poetry.

Speaking of name-dropping spectacular country, you mentioned Younts Peak. This is all pretty crazy, but if someone were to say to me, "Okay man, here's the deal. You've had a good run, but your time on this earth is just about up. You can strap on the pack and lace up the boots for one last sojourn before the clock runs out. So where do want to go?"

My response would be "Younts Peak" without a second thought. I have been enthralled with the GYE for most of my life, and making the trek to the headwaters of the Yellowstone River is akin to venturing into the heart of an entire ecosystem. At least that's how I imagine it.

Anyways, I've been ruminating quite a bit lately on a trip to Younts Peak. (No, no one has told me that my time on this earth is just about up, but heck, why wait?) A favorite Absaroka dayhike over the years has been the relatively quick and easy in-and-out to Bonneville Pass. After studying the Teton W-ness map and the USGS topes, I'm really liking the Continental divide route (mostly off-trail, I think?) from Bonneville Pass to Younts Peak. That high, wild, lonesome alpine country pulls at me like a magnet. Am still undecided whether to make it an in-and-out or turn it into a loop. Any suggestions?

Joey,

Thanks for sharing those inspirational words. Wow, that 3rd paragraph of yours is pure poetry.

Speaking of name-dropping spectacular country, you mentioned Younts Peak. This is all pretty crazy, but if someone were to say to me, "Okay man, here's the deal. You've had a good run, but your time on this earth is just about up. You can strap on the pack and lace up the boots for one last sojourn before the clock runs out. So where do want to go?"

My response would be "Younts Peak" without a second thought. I have been enthralled with the GYE for most of my life, and making the trek to the headwaters of the Yellowstone River is akin to venturing into the heart of an entire ecosystem. At least that's how I imagine it.

Anyways, I've been ruminating quite a bit lately on a trip to Younts Peak. (No, no one has told me that my time on this earth is just about up, but heck, why wait?) A favorite Absaroka dayhike over the years has been the relatively quick and easy in-and-out to Bonneville Pass. After studying the Teton W-ness map and the USGS topes, I'm really liking the Continental divide route (mostly off-trail, I think?) from Bonneville Pass to Younts Peak. That high, wild, lonesome alpine country pulls at me like a magnet. Am still undecided whether to make it an in-and-out or turn it into a loop. Any suggestions?

For a trip like that, I highly suggest speaking with @Absarokanaut . John knows the area around Bonneville Pass and the Du Noir area extremely well. He knows all of those wilderness areas well, and for much longer than me. I personally haven't done that route, and it is high on my list. I have been up the Cub Creek drainage, and South Buffalo Fork area. I've also been from Younts Peak south to Marston pass That route is absolutely amazing, maybe my favorite part.

I would do a loop trip. Start at Brooks Lake, get up on the divide, and follow it up to Marston Pass. From there I would follow the trail over to the South Fork of the Yellowstone, then head to Younts Peak. Maybe stay in the area several days and explore. Easy hiking above tree line. Then head back to Marston Pass. At the pass head west to Fairy Lake. You can either follow the trails around to make a loop back to Brooks Lake, or climb back up to the divide, and follow it nw. There are a few drainages you could use to drop back down to a trail. Then use the trail system to either loop back to Brooks or hike out at Turpin Meadows.

Of course you could always just continue north towards the Thorofare, and enter Yellowstone National Park.

Here Is a trip report written by @scatman of a trip I did with him out to Younts Peak. Includes the section to Marston Pass:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/headwaters-of-the-yellowstone-river-2013.3005/

Here is a trip report from Dorfworld on a loop from Turpin Meadows over to Brooks Lake, including some of the route your looking at:
http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/2010_teton/teton_2010.html

Hope you make it out there :) Great to have another GYE guy here on the boards!

For a trip like that, I highly suggest speaking with @Absarokanaut . John knows the area around Bonneville Pass and the Du Noir area extremely well. He knows all of those wilderness areas well, and for much longer than me. I personally haven't done that route, and it is high on my list. I have been up the Cub Creek drainage, and South Buffalo Fork area. I've also been from Younts Peak south to Marston pass That route is absolutely amazing, maybe my favorite part.

I would do a loop trip. Start at Brooks Lake, get up on the divide, and follow it up to Marston Pass. From there I would follow the trail over to the South Fork of the Yellowstone, then head to Younts Peak. Maybe stay in the area several days and explore. Easy hiking above tree line. Then head back to Marston Pass. At the pass head west to Fairy Lake. You can either follow the trails around to make a loop back to Brooks Lake, or climb back up to the divide, and follow it nw. There are a few drainages you could use to drop back down to a trail. Then use the trail system to either loop back to Brooks or hike out at Turpin Meadows.

Of course you could always just continue north towards the Thorofare, and enter Yellowstone National Park.

Here Is a trip report written by @scatman of a trip I did with him out to Younts Peak. Includes the section to Marston Pass:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/headwaters-of-the-yellowstone-river-2013.3005/

Here is a trip report from Dorfworld on a loop from Turpin Meadows over to Brooks Lake, including some of the route your looking at:
http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/2010_teton/teton_2010.html

Hope you make it out there :) Great to have another GYE guy here on the boards!

Thanks for the information, Joey. I've been away the past several days and haven't had a chance to delve into it yet, but I will give the two trip reports a good going-over and then start piecing a tentative itinerary together. Your suggestions are extremely helpful and much appreciated. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain for information from time to time.

Thanks for the information, Joey. I've been away the past several days and haven't had a chance to delve into it yet, but I will give the two trip reports a good going-over and then start piecing a tentative itinerary together. Your suggestions are extremely helpful and much appreciated. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain for information from time to time.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I don't mind at all, and love talking about that area.