Paging TieDyeTwins... beginner slopes for skinning

steve

I'm wanting to get into splitboarding this winter, but I'm not willing to risk my life for the best powder out there.

Are there any good routes in the wasatch that typically stay under 30*? I have an avalanche, probe, and beacon, with basic training, but I don't feel comfortable venturing into the exciting terrain yet. I'd love an easy route to get hooked so I can slowly progress. Any suggestions?

I'm clueless on such runs in the Wasatch, but I'll say that there are plenty of good ones just outside of Kamas. One really good one in the campground across the highway from Shingle Creek. I can't remember the name of it. Easy/fun skinning through the trees (dogs included) and then soft, fluffy runs down. Repeat as necessary.

I was about to post some pics, but after looking through them all, I decided to post a throwback trip report since I never posted any photos online of that winter of skinning. I'll post it up shortly with some maps to some of the nice areas.

awesome! If you'd post the link in this thread, I'd appreciate it

The book Wasatch Tours Vol. 2 best describes the wasatch.

My favorites for when the avy danger is too high is Willow Fork. It is just across the street from Solitude Resort. Gaurdsmans is pretty flat then steeper on the sides if you want to get into that. Eventually Bear Trap Fork could be a good one. Short Swing is another good one in Mill D

If its just skinning practice you want Mill Creek's Hwy is closed half way up for cars, and the next 4.5 miles is yours to play in. Also the porter fork road just below the closure in the neighborhood is a good one. Also just going from the Spruces campground to Dog Lake is pretty safe.

P.S. - Let me know if you want me to follow you around a bit to show you the ropes and keep you out of danger.

P.S. - Let me know if you want me to follow you around a bit to show you the ropes and keep you out of danger.

That would be awesome. I'd love to learn from you guys. My split won't be here for a couple more days, but starting next week I'll be wainting to explore and learn all about it. I've been boarding in-bounds for 15 years, but I'm new to the backcountry.

That would be awesome. I'd love to learn from you guys. My split won't be here for a couple more days, but starting next week I'll be wainting to explore and learn all about it. I've been boarding in-bounds for 15 years, but I'm new to the backcountry.
Next week sounds good. I am taking a quick trip to Jackson Hole to backcountry ski for a company video this weekend so that will work out perfectly.

Last edited: