Packrafts. The thread.

I'm starting to think I might just keep my Kokopelli for my wife to use to paddle around on Powell when I don't want to deal with the big IKs. For how inexpensive it was, it's probably worth keeping. As for me, I think that zipper for the storage freaks me out too much. I just know how bad I am at properly maintaining my gear. So I think I'm just going to do it the old fashioned way. Maybe if I keep enjoying it I'll do it Kullaberg-style and get another one for whitewater. Thanks for all the great insight.

That's awesome. I've always wanted to run cateract, but I'm too scared of the rapids. Looking forward to the trip report.

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/dark-to-cataract-to-hite.5790/

One definitely is not enough. You can always add the zipper later.

But do you think it's worth the 12 lbs and $2000.

The Aire BAKraft is 7 lb 2 oz for $1450 and a self bailer. Many seem to like that one. The only complaint is that it's a bit on the small side. I've heard rumors they may offer a larger one at some point. Hopefully Alpacka will add more self bailing options to their other boats too.

Reactions: Ben
The Aire BAKraft is 7 lb 2 oz for $1450 and a self bailer. Many seem to like that one. The only complaint is that it's a bit on the small side. I've heard rumors they may offer a larger one at some point. Hopefully Alpacka will add more self bailing options to their other boats too.

Aire Bakraft Expedition! (http://www.nwrafting.com/river-equipment/aire-bakraft-expedition-review) - this is the boat I am watching very closely for a whitewater boat. Love Aire boats and this fits the bill from a lot of perspectives. With that said - people are running the entire Grand self support in Alpackas. Its an incredible time we're living in and more and more traditional rafting with 14' gear boats just isn't making a ton of sense!

Its an incredible time we're living in and more and more traditional rafting with 14' gear boats just isn't making a ton of sense!

That's not what I want to hear. I'm wavering now between upgrading the packraft or finally pulling the trigger on a 14' oar rig.

Both!! Get a raft or cat tomorrow and run the Owyhee with us this weekend.
River - have a great time! Was just in the Owyhee drainage - SF Owyhee and just got off the Bruneau river on Saturday. There is nothing like that part of the country. EF Owyhee/Deep Creek top tier for 2017.

Awesome! We ran Deep Ck this spring. And E Fk, S Fk, and Bruneau last year. Do you live over this way? Let me know if you're ever looking for folks. Bruneau has been up a long time this year.

That's not what I want to hear. I'm wavering now between upgrading the packraft or finally pulling the trigger on a 14' oar rig.

@Nick - the 14' still makes total sense! I wanted to packraft the Bruneau last week but the flows were really high and was so glad I had the big raft. The ultimate - which we tried to do - is to boat in and packraft a side drainage. Best of both worlds.

Awesome! We ran Deep Ck this spring. And E Fk, S Fk, and Bruneau last year. Do you live over this way? Let me know if you're ever looking for folks. Bruneau has been up a long time this year.

@River - that is awesome! I live in Albuquerque for the time being. Bruneau was HUGE. The Devil's Garden portion of 5 mile particularly so. Its going to have a long season, would love to go back for smaller flow packraft mission.

I bet that was a great trip. I'll pass on packrafting it at current levels. We almost caught it before runoff, but had something come up. Planning to go back once it drops to more reasonable flows. Still over here or back home now?

@River - I cant even imagine packrafts at that flow! We were thinking about hiking up and packrafting Clover Creek to its confluence but it was continuous bank full wood choked IV+. So we drank beer instead. Back home now for a bit. Trying to see if the ole work calendar will allow me to get up there again this summer. One of the most spectacular canyons I have ever seen.

We looked at Clover with the same thoughts last year. Not one I'd want to packraft. Let me know if you make it back up. We'll probably head out there once the flows are down.

Is there a trick to inflating packrafts that I am not aware of. By the time its 95% full and I unscrew the inflation bag, even after pinching it, I lose a lot of air from inside. The valve(this is kokopelli packraft) is just so hard to manipulate with finger and by the time I can get it closed, I lose lot of air.

no trick i know of, just being quick. mine is an alpacka though.