Resource icon

Online Mapping Resource Links

i find caltopo.com insanely helpful. it has all the USGS quads together, and a slew of options i still haven't made it all the way through.

Hello, Wondered if anyone can help. Hope this isn't a stupid question.
I've used proper paper maps but I'm a GPS novice - just about to buy one. While I find all the mapping resources useful for printing out an ordnance survey "map" of an area where I'm hiking to see features (if I don't have the proper USGS paper one), once I choose the location I want and print it there's never the grid co-ordinates down the side obviously.
So if I get a GPS primarily for if I ever lose track of where exactly I've hiked to, and to get co-ordinates for when I want to find out where I am on the map, how can I do this? (I realise a better GPS might have a small on-screen map).
Also by the time I've selected the area I'm hiking on these resources, and zoomed in and out a bit, I lose track of distance, so for example if for example I know I've been hiking an hour, or 2 miles, I can't figure out how far I've travelled on my printed out map (assuming I can't see any features around that make it obvious)
Thanks

If you play around with caltopo.com then you can print maps that include the correct scale as well as the coordinate grids.

I've just now started playing with caltopo and, holy cow, that site is incredible. @Nick , I promise to stop using Acme Mapper now.