Oct 4-16: Here We Come!

jdgibney

So, it's official (still), my friend Karen (who I explored a lot of UT/AZ/NV with in Sept/Oct 2010 with), and I are returning with a vengeance this fall. I have talked in a few different threads about plans, ideas, and whatnot, and I've gotten a lot of good ones. I was holding off on putting together an itinerary until we found out if we could get Coyote Buttes North (Wave) permits for the time we were there (we did), so now the fun can start.

My tentative outline that is starting to come together is:
Thurs, Oct 4 - Arrive in Vegas at 1:30p Pick up gear, supplies, visit with, and stay with friend in Vegas
Fri, Oct 5 - Day Trip to Death Valley. Karen Arrives in Vegas at 10:40p (yuk) (stay with Karen's friends in Vegas)
Sat, Oct 6 - Drive up to Hurricane - hotel for a few nights as our base - explore easy Zion stuff, intro to Narrows perhaps?
Sun, Oct 7 - Kanarra Creek more easy touristy Zion stuff?
Mon, Oct 8 - Observation Point/Hidden Canyon
Tues, Oct 9 -Drive to Page, maybe Alstrom Point Camp/Sunset?
Weds, Oct 10 - Wahweap Hoodoo 9 mile hike from Big Water
Thurs, Oct 11 - Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend/local Page stuff
Fri, Oct 12 - Coyote Buttes North/the wave Waynee-ack Camp near CBN (Stateline?)
Sat, Oct 13 - White Pocket with Waynee-ack Camp near White Pocket
Sun, Oct 14 - Sunrise at White Pocket, pick up car (not sure where we'll leave it yet), head back towards Vegas, stop at Coral Pink Dunes?
Mon, Oct 15 - Drop off Karen at McCarran by 1:00p Stay in Vegas with friend
Tues, Oct 16 - Get to Airport to fly home by 9:30a

Sometime either Tues or Weds, we will make our way over towards Page.... I'd like to do Wahweap Hoodoos hike, and I think Karen wants to see Antelope Canyon (I'll probably take her to lower, so we're not amongst millions of people, though at that time of year, lower will still be more packed than when I went last January I reckon!) We don't want to over-do the hiking, and also driving, so we're limiting ourselves to the Zion and Page areas and trying not to do consecutive days with long hikes.

If anyone wants to meet up, or has more suggestions (I'm still going through suggestions from the other threads, and other research), It'd be great to do so!

Suggestions for sunrise/sunset spots for photos would be awesome, as well as places to try your fancy star-trails ;)

Thanks to Waynee-ack for offering to drive us out to White Pocket in exchange for our extra CBN permits! Am I correct in my understanding that there is no fee for this? Trying to figure out the best way to logistically do CBN and then White Pocket as far as where to camp and drive between the two. Any suggestions? (we are meeting Wayne Thursday in Page, or Kanab, not sure yet.

Anyway, just rambling, but we're wicked psyched to come back out that way, see new things, re-see some old things, and meet some great people! nick I noticed you're conveniently leaving the state for our visit :D

Sunrise in Zion = court of patriarchs viewpoint (depending on when sunrise is you might need a white permit so you can drive your car there if it is before the first shuttle)or museum patio.
Sunset= Parus trail looking toward the watchman, along kolob terrace road is another good spot, or near grafton, or smithsonian butte back way (all looking toward Zion)

Horseshoe bend for sunrise/sunset shots, not sure which is best. Also Lake Powell.

If you're going to do CBN, I'd highly recommend checking out Wirepass (at least to the confluence of the Buckskin) (it shares the same trailhead as CBN).

There's plenty of places to camp for free in the area of CBN (mostly BLM land in the area). I'll PM ya some of the spots I've camped at!

Also, it would be easy to include Bryce in the trip, especially since you will have already bought your park pass when you go to Zion! I think they are good for a week so you'd have to plan accordingly.

Sunrise in Zion = court of patriarchs viewpoint (depending on when sunrise is you might need a white permit so you can drive your car there if it is before the first shuttle)or museum patio.
Sunset= Parus trail looking toward the watchman, along kolob terrace road is another good spot, or near grafton, or smithsonian butte back way (all looking toward Zion)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely have to work some of those in. How do you get a white permit? I think sunrise times are somewhere around 7:30ish. I'll bug you for some more specifics as the time draws near, thanks again!

Horseshoe bend for sunrise/sunset shots, not sure which is best. Also Lake Powell.

If you're going to do CBN, I'd highly recommend checking out Wirepass (at least to the confluence of the Buckskin) (it shares the same trailhead as CBN).

There's plenty of places to camp for free in the area of CBN (mostly BLM land in the area). I'll PM ya some of the spots I've camped at!

Also, it would be easy to include Bryce in the trip, especially since you will have already bought your park pass when you go to Zion! I think they are good for a week so you'd have to plan accordingly.

I was thinking about checking Wire Pass out as well. Would that be something cool to do before heading out to the Wave? I've been up to Horseshoe Bend a couple of times, and we'll get up there again during one of the sunsets, I hope. I'd love to get some sunset photos of Lake Powell from Allstrom Point if we can camp out there. I'm not sure if it's a place we can get out to. I got your message, and will respond separately, thank you for that!
We did go to Bryce on our last trip in 2010. It was amazing, though my friend was sick so I did a little bit of hiking by myself, though not very far. I'd like to explore more, but it might have to wait until another trip.

I was thinking about checking Wire Pass out as well. Would that be something cool to do before heading out to the Wave?
If you've never been in a slot canyon then definitely! It's super easy and doesn't add that much to the trip. It's so narrow in spots my shoulders rub in spots. Just as it reaches the Buckskin it opens up and there's an awesome alcove on the right. Just past the alcove look for some rock art! If it's dark when you head out for CBN then I would wait and hit this on the way back as you want sun light reflecting into the slot and making it glow!

I think the only slot canyon I've been in has been lower Antelope, which was outstanding, though I imagine this is quite different..... definitely worth checking out if we can swing it, though the time of day will make a big difference for the light.

I have to formulate a plan on how best to visit CBN and see more than just the wave. If anyone has any specific suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I think I have coordinates from the last time we went out there, but no specific tracks or anything.

So, regarding Wire Pass, am I assuming that we need a permit to hike there? For instance, we have a cbn permit for wire pass trailhead on Friday the 12th of oct. in go to white pocket saturday, camp out, catch sunrise Sunday, can we go to wire pass on our way out oftha area or only if we have a permit for that day?

The passes are good for the day they are issued. So you'd have to get another one for Wire pass if you do it another day. Unlike CBN/CBS permits the passes are self-serve at the trail head (unless you're camping in the slot). Last time I was there (in 2011) the cost was $6/person so make sure you have the right amount or you'll end up giving them a tip like we did.

ok cool, I couldn't remember if there was a self-serve station when we were there in Jan 2011. That's a cool option (obviously if we can combine it with CBN/Wave it'd be more convenient, but I'm guessing it'll be not-ideal lighting

Might be an insane thing, but, I've been contemplating driving out to Death Valley from Vega$ on Friday the 5th, leaving very early in the morning (maybe 4AM), spending the day, and coming back in time to pick my friend up at the airport (10:40PM). Would it be worth it to go and only spend maybe 10 hours there?

Might be an insane thing, but, I've been contemplating driving out to Death Valley from Vega$ on Friday the 5th, leaving very early in the morning (maybe 4AM), spending the day, and coming back in time to pick my friend up at the airport (10:40PM). Would it be worth it to go and only spend maybe 10 hours there?

My first and so far only time to death valley we spent under ten hours and I felt it was worth it!

It's soooo tempting....I bet it's still hot as heck there even in early October, eh?

I went in march, it was nice!
excellent. Of course it says the average hi temps in October are in the high 90's. Awesome! :D
I'm pretty sure I am going to do that. Instead of finding something crazy to do on my first day out there, I will gather my stuff (I have to rent a lens and some camera gear from borrowlenses which conveniently has a new location in Vegas), pick up a cooler, pick up my camping gear which I am shipping to my friend, and have a nice meal with my friend and her family who are providing a guest room for that night and the monday at the end of the trip, should I need it...)

You can rent lenses? Don't mean to hijack this thread but do tell me more. Oh if you guys are in the St. George area for dinner any of those nights holler at me. Or I am having a BBQ at my house on the 6th for the SLC Mountain Bike club you guys are welcome to pop in and join us.

yeah, there are a handful of outfits that rent lenses/equipment. I've used borrowlenses.com a few times, and they just recently opened up a branch in Vegas where you can pick up the equipment, or they can ship it to your home. I have a local place I rent from if I just need a few days, but these guys have okay rates if you want to use stuff for a week or so, I'm going to rent some filters and a good wide lens (which, in reality I should already own, but I don't)

I'm not sure what our plan is for that saturday yet. I know the marathon is going on in St. George, not sure how that will affect traffic, but I think we're planning to head up to Hurricane (at a leisurely pace) and maybe check out some stuff in Zion, including sunset, that night... I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the invite!