Album Non-Backcountry Photos

Yep.....hanging from the ceiling....... :)

shadow of our balloon as we floated above the eastern Catskills, NY (35th anniversary gift from our kids)
PICT0465.JPG

I0000_WcMXfepYQU.jpg

In a friend of mine's back yard in San Diego. He was an expert on tropical plants and bamboo. He told me that they have found this plant fossilized, and it was very difficult to find. It was growing out of that stone.

I0000mixA7GxCRFg.jpg

Don't know why I am posting this, but what the hell. A 35mm shot, taken with Tri-x, very grainy due to the rain. I swam out at Cardiff Reef in N. San Diego county, I was interested in getting some "mood" shots, as I knew no one would be out in blown out conditions. There was a pretty big swell, this is a shot taken from Cardiff Reef, looking north towards Swami's, at a break called Suckouts. It only breaks on big days. You can see why it is called Suckouts.

I0000NMg9UZ6fKbg.jpg

These 2 shots (above and below) are taken from the same spot on the Embarcadero along San Diego Bay. I was shooting the old tuna boat, when this guy taps me on my shoulder. He asks me what I was doing? I said taking pictures. I asked him if I could take his photo and he said sure. His hands told a story I think.

I0000uWxQPaJh45k.jpg

Thoroughbred country. Horse farms, bluegrass and bourbon. A few shots near Midway, Kentucky...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've been scanning some old slides that have been sitting in a box for 40 years and came across a couple that I think are probably pretty unique and I thought I'd post them here

In 1976 and 1977 I spent 9 months in the Seychelles which is an island group about 500 miles off the east coast of Kenya in the Indian Ocean. I was fortunate to see two solar eclipses while there. The first one was in October of 1976. I had no idea that there was going to be an eclipse. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was at the beach. Mid morning it suddenly began to get dark. Honestly, it felt a little like the end of the world, not only because of the sudden darkness on a sunny day, but because the darkness was accompanied by an equally sudden formation of thick clouds. I finally realized what was happening and I rushed to work to get my camera to get a picture. The October 1976 eclipse was about 95% total in the Seychelles. I knew the eclipse was coming in April of 1977. It was 90% total in the Seychelles. Like the other time the sky was pretty clear until the moon began to cover the sun and then clouds began to form. This time it didn't produce fog. Neither picture was taken at the apex, but they're the best ones I have.

There will be a total solar eclipse across much of North America on 8/21/2017.

10/23/1976
PC300918.jpg

4/18/1977
PC301005.jpg

Last edited:
I decided a few years ago to photograph some of the one room schoolhouses in the area. There are not many left or still in use.
This one is the Cattle Creek Schoolhouse, all by itself for years until people started building houses in the area.

I0000nj_qDrK6yyQ.jpg

I00008ImyKaxl_gs.jpg

Missouri Heights Schoolhouse:

I0000LbON9_hLzhs.jpg

Battlement Mesa Schoolhouse:

I0000uxugqZPDhwQ.jpg

Cardiff Schoolhouse, now a venue for private gatherings and jazz:

I0000X68dGXkpA_Y.jpg

Last edited:
I decided a few years ago to photograph some of the one room schoolhouses in the area. There are not many left or still in use.

My family lived for many years in a rural county here just a mile from the house where my wife's dad grew up and where one of her brothers now lives. Until about 2000 there were many one room school houses still in operation in rural areas in the state. My wife's family homesteaded here before the Civil War and she was part of the 6th generation to attend the same one room school house. My oldest daughter also attended a different one room school house. Around 2000 the State Legislature, in a tax/school funding scheme forced all of the one room school districts in the state to merge with K-12 districts. Nearly all of the K-12 districts promptly closed the one room schools and sold the properties. But there's still a few in operation in really remote areas in the state. Most of the old one room school houses have been converted into homes. It's really easy to identify them. Most of the home owners have left the school markings on the buildings and some have even left the playground equipment in their yards. The home owner where my wife attended school occasionally has reunions for the people who attended school at that one room school house.

I enjoyed looking at your pictures. The building style looks just like what you'd see around here.

You post may inspire me to go get pictures of the ones around where we used to live.

Last edited:
My family lived for many years in a rural county here just a mile from the house where my wife's dad grew up and where one of her brothers now lives. Until about 2000 there were many one room school houses still in operation in rural areas in the state. My wife's family homesteaded here before the Civil War and she was part of the 6th generation to attend the same one room school house. My oldest daughter also attended a different one room school house. Around 2000 the State Legislature, in a tax/school funding scheme forced all of the one room school districts in the state to merge with K-12 districts. Nearly all of the K-12 districts promptly closed the one room schools and sold the properties. But there's still a few in operation in really remote areas in the state. Most of the old one room school houses have been converted into homes. It's really easy to identify them. Most of the home owners have left the school markings on the buildings and some have even left the playground equipment in their yards. The home owner where my wife attended school occasionally has reunions for the people who attended school at that one room school house.

I enjoyed looking at your pictures. The building style looks just like what you'd see around here.

You post may inspire me to go get pictures of the ones around where we used to live.
You might enjoy photographing them, and document something that is disappearing.
The good thing is that they are being used, which decreases the likelihood that they will be torn down or allowed to decay. Back in the day the Cattle Creek schoolhouse was used as a community center, dance hall, along with the school use. It still has the old merry-go-round in front, kind of buried in the dirt. A pretty cool place to imagine what life was like 120 years ago.

One from the local rodeo, just over a week ago now. It was the first time I'd gone in years, and the first time I took a camera and tried photographing it. Action shots aren't really my thing, but a lot of the pictures turned out very well and I had a lot of fun. Here are a couple:

062416-13-L.jpg

062416-7-L.jpg

062416-21-L.jpg

First real attempts at night/star shots with the D750. Can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it.

Field at my house illuminated by farm equipment at work (the equipment is out of frame)
091916-4-L.jpg

Quite the lineup of combines!
091916-12-L.jpg