Nikon d7200 vs. d750?

Mph

Which one should I buy? Cropped frame vs. Full Frame? I'm at a loss...I currently own a dx model, so I am thinking of staying with the 7200. But, my neighbor has a 750. Sweet camera...Thoughts? Ideas? Things that I should think about?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
I've been shooting APSC sensor Nikons since 2009. First a D60 then a D5300. Both were great cameras, but I finally invested in a D750 this winter and it is a big step up. Still just scratching the surface of its capabilities. Having both side by side, I can say if you can afford the investment, you won't miss the crop sensor. I have barely touched my crop sensor cameras since getting the full frame beast.

Also consider glass... do you have a lot invested in DX glass? A big consideration for me to go full frame was that I wanted to invest in real quality glass down the road, and I figured that if I was really going to go for it with glass I'd better go with full frame glass. Of course, if you're going with full frame glass you'd better get the camera that matches!

All that being said, for backpacking the little mirrorless crop sensor cameras are AWESOME. Excellent image quality and so much less weight and size. So, that's another option to consider.

Once you go full-frame, you won't want to go back to cropped...

+1

once you have a full frame, you do not want to go back.

I shoot full frame and own a Nikon D610 and since last year the D750 for studio and product shots. I love both cameras and combined with a good glass they are awesome. I only own prime lenses and good and fast lenses, so for me there no extra cost in investing in lenses compatible with my fx bodies.
Especially in low light situations both my full frame bodies are superior compared to my old D7000 I used before.

Disclaimer I am no photographer so I may have no idea what I am talking about but my ex was into it pretty heavily. That said when he went from a D7000 to a D800 the amount of file space needed for the pics was crazy. A quick search shows a D7000 raw file is 19.4MB (at it's largest) vs a D800 raw at 76.5MB. It may not make a difference to you but I did notice for us it made it hard to download them in the middle of a trip to view. We had to wait until we got home to a big hard drive.

The D750 is only a 24mp camera versus the 36mp of the D800/810 so you wont get those beastly file sizes.

the files are larger, but I think that's a good thing. More pixels, more information if needed. My files taken with my D610 average usually 28-35MB, with the D 750 they are about the same range.