Pringles

Hi, I moved to Powell, WY a bit over a year ago and just discovered this site. I was really excited to see so many posts about places to go in the Bighorns, Yellowstone, the Beartooths, and the Absarokas, which are all fairly near me. I realized I was in a pretty special place when I crossed the street today, and in looking to the left, I saw the Bighorns in the distance, and looking to the right, I saw the Absarokas. There must not have been any traffic coming, because I got happily distracted and cotinued on my way. I would have never guessed I'd live in a place with proximity to such mountains! Just the thought made me happy.

I like to backpack, though I go alone and am a poky whimp. Before I moved here, I had done 40% of the AT, mostly down south. Because I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I had hiked at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore during the more temperate seasons. (Look at your National Parks Pass for this year, that's Pictured Rocks the kayakers are looking at.) I have done a wee bit of canoeing in the Boundary Waters, and gone canoeing with outfitters just north of the Everglades, on the Missouri in Montana, and in the Yukon and Alaska. I've also managed to do some guided rafting trips, and a bit of kayaking. Mostly, I go for the scenery, but I love to get far enough into the back country that I meet *the best* people, don't have to listen to someone else's radio, or deal with small children on Big Wheels at my campsite.

Since I've moved here, I've done about as much exploring by car as I could. I've done an overnight backpack at Bighorn Canyon (didn't get attacked by a bear or rattlesnake, or eaten by a mountain lion), an overnight from the Hellroaring Trailhead in Yellowstone, and an overnight in the Bighorns. I tried another one night backpacking trip in Yellowstone, but a bison gave me the evil eye, and then moved into the campsite. Really, he gave me an extremely odd look. Fortunately, it wasn't horribly far from the trailhead so I just hiked out.

I'm making plans for next summer, and hope to do a couple of overnights in Yellowstone, one or two overnights in Bighorn Canyon, do some of the Teton Crest Trail, and explore the Bighorns more. I'd like to take my kayak and do a backcountry overnight either in Yellowstone or the Tetons, too.

I'll probably be asking some questions, and hopefully will be able to share some stories and pictures.

Pringles

Welcome @Pringles . Check out the "Meet Up" topic for the invite to the Mirror Plateau in Yellowstone. We'll be doing a day hike through Hayden Valley that your welcome to join us on if it fits with your Yellowstone schedule.

Hey Pringles!

Awe, me too! The first time I saw the Rockies was after a 16 hour drive on my motorcycle (coming also from Michigan) in order to find my Rocky Mountain home. I knew I had found my future home as I spotted Pikes Peak 100 miles out in the great plains. Many of us live near you or cherish your backyard (and ours) for the wildness they offer. We have Yellowstone experts, Winds experts, Montana and Wyoming experts, all experts in that we have walked much of the high and wild. We are looking forward to read your accounts and looking forward to sharing and answering questions.

Walk ON!

Thank you all for the welcome! Scatman, I had looked at that and thought that maybe I could offer a shuttle for your lonng trip, but then I saw it was a loop. I seriously doubt I could keep up on your day hike, but I really want to see the pictures. (And if that schedule doesn't work and you need a shuttle, I could most likely help.)

I've done a few day hikes since I got here. My boss is also a hiker, and she looked at me one Friday and said, "Don't just drive around, DO something." You can see how she got to be the boss, can't you? So I did a little hike in Yellowstone, and survived. She came back after a hike with her husband on the same weekend, and said that they had seen their first bear *while hiking* in Yellowstone for 10 years. So the next weekend I did another hike. I was on the trail where THIS summer, the man was killed and munched-upon by the grizzly. As I passed the halfway mark, I saw somehting in the woods, and cruising in the other direction was a black bear. S/he was about 12 yards away. I could see individual tufts of fur. We each behaved nicely and continued on our respective ways, but that's typical... I see wildlife. And yes, I was talking and singing. In fact, earlier in the hike, I had been doing my usual, "Hey bear! Hello moose," and looking around while I hike, when another hiker rounded the corner, heard my chatter, and turned to look at (and take a picture of) whatever I had spotted. I just waalked on by... .

Anyway, goals for this summer are to simply to do more. And to take pictures of it while I do it. It's so exciting!

Pringles

I was on the trail where THIS summer, the man was killed and munched-upon by the grizzly. As I passed the halfway mark, I saw somehting in the woods, and cruising in the other direction was a black bear. S/he was about 12 yards away. I could see individual tufts of fur. We each behaved nicely and continued on our respective ways, but that's typical... I see wildlife. And yes, I was talking and singing. In fact, earlier in the hike, I had been doing my usual, "Hey bear! Hello moose," and looking around while I hike, when another hiker rounded the corner, heard my chatter, and turned to look at (and take a picture of) whatever I had spotted.

Nice bear encounter, I'm glad both you and the bear survived it.

You could always head out through Hayden Valley with us and then turn around whenever you felt like it.

Welcome @Pringles!!! We can't wait to read your TR's with your new perspective on the area. Happy hiking!
Salud!

Thanks again. Scatman, I'll sure think about it, if the date works for me.

TannerT, I"l share what I can.

Today I drove towartd Yellowstone out of Cody. The park is closed, but I didn't have enough time to do anything anyway. I just drove along, looking for wildlife. I saw lots of mule deer, and then began seeing bighorns. There were probaby 10 sets of bighorns, and in two groups, there were males that were still debating about who was going to get to do the mating. If I can figure out how to get the pictures from my cell phone to my computer, I'll try to post them. It was a pretty nice drive and wildlife encounter.