Newbie In Georgia

Jon Carbaugh

Hello everyone. New to the BCP and wanted to say hi. Currently living outside Atlanta Georgia, originally from Dallas Texas area. Quickly falling deeply in love with backpacking and have tons of plans. Have done Great Smokey Mountains NP and some of the AT in Georgia. Heading to Yellowstone in August to see it for the first time. We’ll be doing a couple of days of the touristy stuff, Old Faithful, springs and falls then doing a trip thru the Pelican Valley to Lamar River and up to the Lamar Valley. It can’t get here quick enough!
Love the site and all the great reports! Thanks!

Welcome Jon. Since you have an interest in the AT in Georgia, I highly recommend the book "Just Passin' Thru" by Winton Porter if you haven't read it. You are probably familiar with the outfitter/hostel about 30 miles from the start of the AT in Georgia called Mountain Crossings (the name may have changed by now). I believe it's at the base of Blood Mountain as you descend. The book is written by Winton Porter, an ex- AT thru-hiker who purchases the outfitter/hostel/home and moved there with his family to stay connected with the trail. The AT actually goes under the breezeway between the section of the building that is the store and his home. He chronicles stories from the more memorable characters who have passed through on their AT thru-hike. It's a great book but you'd probably enjoy it even more being from the area. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0897328493/?tag=backcountrypo-20

Would love to see some reports from down your way.

Thank you for the warm welcome Vegan.Hiker! I will definitely make it a point to get the book, sounds very intriguing!
We have been to Mountain Crossings a few times, it is a very cool place! The first time was when riding a motorcycle around the area of Blood Mountain about 10 years ago, however at the time I had not been hiking and did not realize the significance of it. The other times we had been hiking a bit and knew more about it. We haven’t made a BP trip through it yet, but we plan to this fall. I’d like to see all of the Georgia section, or more, by next summer.
Thanks again!

Thank you very much Nick! I see you live in Salt Lake City. Very jealous! The wife and I are seriously considering moving out that way in the next year or two and SLC is on the very top of the list. It seems like the perfect place since you can get to so many wonderful places within a few hours’ drive from there.
If you ever have any advice, I would gladly soak it up like a sponge!

Reading it before a trip through there this fall would definitely add a cool layer of meaning to the trip. I considered flying down to Georgia to do that section after reading the book but it seems like such a pain getting to the southern terminus of the AT from the ATL airport. Hopefully I'll get down there eventually. I'd love to see a trip report of a trip that went through Mountain Crossings, especially if you spent a night at the hostel there.

Reading it before a trip through there this fall would definitely add a cool layer of meaning to the trip. I considered flying down to Georgia to do that section after reading the book but it seems like such a pain getting to the southern terminus of the AT from the ATL airport. Hopefully I'll get down there eventually. I'd love to see a trip report of a trip that went through Mountain Crossings, especially if you spent a night at the hostel there.

I was thinking the same thing, a must read before we go do any more of the AT. Let me know if you ever plan a trip down and need a ride. We did the trip to the terminus in my Nissan Altima the first time, not advised. It’s a 9 mile gravel road, some pretty steep sections and some very deep grooves that bottomed out my car many times. We have an SUV now that will make the trip much better next time.
You can also start on the AT approach trail at Amicalola Falls a little south of the terminus. It’s a beautiful very large waterfall well worth seeing. It’s about 8 miles from the falls to the AT.

AT ST 2013.jpg AT ST 2013 1.jpg AT ST 2013 2.jpg

Really nice of you to offer. I may take you up on that one day :) The east coast is terribly underrepresented here so let us hear how it goes and don't be shy with the pictures!