New InReach

Did you to import these files via -> draw tab -> file -> import, pixie?

Gesendet von meinem iPadAir mit TapatalkPro

Did you to import these files via -> draw tab -> file -> import, pixie?

No, I hadn't tried that before, but it worked. Thank you very much for the tip! The problem I have with the software is that it's not very intuitive for someone who is newer to GPS and mapping software.

My pleasure.
Any questions? Plz feel free.

I just got back from 4 days doing the Granddaddy to four lakes basin Loop, and the Delorme did great. Sent and received texts twice a day with no issues. I really like it way more than my Spot. Battery power never dipped below 80% after four days, and if needed I could recharge with my solar panel. I don't use it for tracking or as a GPS, only for texts. Sent my messages in a few minutes and I didn't go out of my way to find clear line of site to receive/transmit. Usually, from inside a cluster of trees as I ate.

I agree with the interface and graphics looking old school compared to an iPhone 6 or whatnot, but I don't mind that at all because it's simple, easy to use, and does what I need it to do (send messages and SOS) although I've never used tried using the SOS. During the two weeks I was in Canyonlands I used my InReach SE to exchange messages daily with my wife. The other 3 people I was with used it to message their wives daily as well. So we're probably talking close to 200 messages and I they all transmitted fine by all indications. I didn't use it for tracking (I use Gaia and PDF Maps for that) and kept it off while hiking so battery never dipped below 90% and I just topped it off each night with my external charger when we were done using it. Where I find it helped the most was since we were out there for a long period, we were able to text my wife every morning to get an updated weather forecast from her. Most importantly though, it gives my wife peace of mind.

Well, inReach (I use a 1.5 for iOS) is good for texting to friends and family and SOS/SAR, but it is nothing for tracking.
Trip planning is also not very comfortable. Cloud based or on the device itself.
DeLorme, now Garmin was very sleepy the past years. No new up to date devices.

Gaja GPS is nice. @Nick and @Artemus gave me some tips - thanks again. But a 900$ device in the boonies isn't everybody's darling.
My pros and cons of Gaja are:

- a all-in-one device (GPS, cellphone, camera) w/a big screen
- good GPS accuracy

Not so good are:
- extra device protection is necessary
- battery drainage during tracking
- no auto screen off
- while backpacking a couple of days, extra power is necessary (solar panel or power bank)
- no detailed Topo, like the old USGS, in the non-pro version
- trip planning??

But in the sum - not bad. :)

Gesendet via iPhone 6S mit TapaTalk

Where I find it helped the most was since we were out there for a long period, we were able to text my wife every morning to get an updated weather forecast from her.

If you have the paid version of the Earthmate app or the inReach Explorer, you can now get some nice looking weather forecasts via satellite:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-weather.php

If you're cheap like I am and you're unwilling to pay for the app and you have an older model inReach, then this service will also give you free (except for the cost of the message itself) forecast. It's clunky and tough to decipher, but I have verified that it does work:

http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/

If you have the paid version of the Earthmate app or the inReach Explorer, you can now get some nice looking weather forecasts via satellite:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-weather.php

If you're cheap like I am and you're unwilling to pay for the app and you have an older model inReach, then this service will also give you free (except for the cost of the message itself) forecast. It's clunky and tough to decipher, but I have verified that it does work:

http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/

Thanks. I don't have the explorer, I have the SE, but I'll look into the paid version of the Earthmate app. I only have the free version of the app downloaded.

the earth mate app itself is way worth the $30 a year. I used it in The Winds last week. doesn't use much battery on my Galaxy Note 4 either.

It's too bad, because it's a great idea. I just wish that it was way better executed. With Android being free, and simple, I don't get why someone hasn't worked that software into a gps device. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Its a different type of antenna used to send data to a satellite than receiving coordinates from a satellite.

I really want to want a SPOT or ELB, or InReach, but the subscription $ kills me. That's the first thing. The second is that it really takes away part of the adventure of being way out there. You really loose something when you know you can pull the plug and call in a rescue. There is something to be said for being careful, and planning, and being prepared, and having that pit in your gut. Danger is part of the experience, an important one. Unless you are guiding or are responsible for those with you, I'll skip it and buy another pair of boots. No way I would second guess anyone who has one of these for any reason, especially with kids, wives and others waiting and worrying.

I *love* my InReach! But the service is pricey for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I *love* my InReach! But the service is pricey for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I love mine, too! I bit the bullett and signed up for the basic annual plan. Mine is the InReach SE. I already pack a Garmin Oregon on my shoulder strap, so I don't need another GPS. Plus, the InReach is a little big for a pocket or pack attachment. Out here, our cell service is spotty, and basically non-existent in the hills. One thing to remember is that, although you get to send any number of preset messages, every reply counts as a "point." Even if you don't want one, so tell your recipients not to start a long SMS exchange. Note, however, that anyone can save at least one of your outgoing SMS or emails and contact you anytime in the future by replying. Obviously, your location will change.

I really want to want a SPOT or ELB, or InReach, but the subscription $ kills me. That's the first thing. The second is that it really takes away part of the adventure of being way out there. You really loose something when you know you can pull the plug and call in a rescue. There is something to be said for being careful, and planning, and being prepared, and having that pit in your gut. Danger is part of the experience, an important one. Unless you are guiding or are responsible for those with you, I'll skip it and buy another pair of boots. No way I would second guess anyone who has one of these for any reason, especially with kids, wives and others waiting and worrying.
That's what I like about my PLB. The only thing it does is send the "help" signal. I refer to it as "helicopter-ride-please button" and have informed my loved ones that if I push it, it means I'm in a life-threatening situation and need help NOW.

I also only bring it on trips that are remote enough that if something happens to me, nobody will find me for weeks or months. If I'm on-trail or a popular off-trail route, it stays at home. My though is this - if I'm doing a remote hike that includes a 35-mile waterless stretch, a simple case of the flu could kill me if I'm not strong enough to walk/crawl to the next water source. Similarly, if I'm at 12k off-trail in the Beartooths and I break an ankle on some unstable talus, I won't last very long in those storms.

That being said, I never expect to actually use it, and it's reserved strictly for life-or-death situations.