MSR Carbon Reflex Tents

Dan_85

Does anyone have experience with MSR tents, in particular their Carbon Reflex series? Whilst my current set up is not uncomfortably heavy, my tent is definitely an area where I could shed some weight. Therefore I'm considering replacing it and it's looking like a toss up between the 2016 Carbon Reflex 1 or the BA Copper Spur UL1.

Both are similar tents with similar prices, however MSR have redesigned the Carbon Reflex series for 2016 and their 1 person version is coming in quite significantly lighter than the Copper Spur for almost the same price. The two things that i'm unsure on are that the MSR is not freestanding, any major drawbacks there? And also it's slightly shorter in height than the BA. I'm about 5ft 11, anyone see the reduced height causing me major problems?

Full specs below. For weight comparison, i've stated the heaviest list weight from each manufacturers site, which in both cases is the "packed weight".

MSR 2016 Carbon Reflex 1
Price: $399.95
Packed weight: 1lb 13oz
Freestanding: N
Floor area: 23sq ft
Peak interior height: 34in

BA Copper Spur UL1
Price: $379.95
Packed weight: 2lb 8oz
Freestanding: Y
Floor area: 22sq ft
Peak interior height: 37in

I've had several BA tents and have never had a problem with them, but have never owned an MSR so interested to hear any feedback be it good or bad.

Thanks!

For a similar tent, I would consider the Tarptent rainbow.

Many friends have the BA, great tent. No experience on the MSR.

If I were in the market for that kind of thing, I'd probably go with the Tarptent Rainbow. I was thinking about getting one last year but I ended up with a trekking pole type tent. I've also had lots of great experience with BA. The only MSR tent I've owned was a trekking pole setup tent so it's probably not great to compare. I liked it though.

I have the older model of the MSR Hubba Hubba and like it. I checked the specs and the body of the tents are made from similar materials. They are good quality tents but feel more fragile than say my NF Rock 22 or Eureka tent (but 2 lbs lighter). Like most tents with that ultralight fabric they break down faster (become sticky and seam seals flake away). Take proper care of it and keep it out of the sun so it will last you a long time.

Regarding the size, I'm 6'5" and do ok but not much extra room in the Hubba Hubba. The Carbon Reflex 1 is listed as being 2 inches longer than the Hubba Hubba. So you should be fine.

No free standing...It seems like it would be hard on a lot of higher elevation sites as they tend to be rocky and harder to stake out your tent.

Last edited:
Hey Dan,

I only have 1 piece of backpacking equipment that I'd go out of my way to recommend and that's my Terra Nova tent. I've never owned the 2 tents you're considering, but if you are looking to cut weight and are also concerned with room, you can get the 2 person version of the Terra Nova model I have (solar photon 2) at around the same weight as the 1 person version of the MSR and a few ounces less than the BA you're looking at.

Here's a review I wrote when I bought it. My review also has links to some other online reviews of it.

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/terra-nova-solar-photon-2-tent-review.4769/

Since writing the review I put a full season of use into it and it's been great, including the 3 nights we were dealt high winds and heavy rain, sleet, and snow in the Tetons. The first night of heavy winds I forgot to guy it out and it still shed the wind like a champ. Haven't had a single leak and it's very well ventilated. It's also worked fine without being staked on shelter floors, as it's semi-freestanding. I use it solo mostly, but it was roomy enough to sleep both my wife and myself and hold our packs in the vestibule when she came out west with me this year. It was more than roomy enough on the couple of trips that my dog came along with me on as well.

image.jpeg
That's my Terra Nova on the left. On the right is my friend's older discontinued BA (I don't remember which one, maybe a Seedhouse?)

Last edited:
i would say, what do you want to do with them? i have a tarptent notch that i LOVE, but it has drawbacks. it is absolutely not desert friendly (the sand sticks like crazy to it), but it packs up tiny, has a crapload of room including two vestibules , and sets up wonderfully with just four stakes and my trekking poles. it is a great mountain tent. i can't recommend it enough. for the mountains. it is 27 oz and about $285. i also have the copper spur UL 2. that i bought to use for two people and for desert trips when i was worried about weather or if i am going to be setting up and leaving my tent while doing day hikes. freestanding is awesome. it is much friendlier for setting up quickly for a night without staking it out or if i am going to be ditching gear and want to have my trekking poles during the day. it has super vertical walls, roomy vestibules, and feels big even with two people. also, when i got a hole in it BA repaired it with no issues. weight is important, but so is where you are going for the majority of your time and what will you be doing while you are there. if you want crazy light you can always go with a tarp and a Borah bivy, which i am looking into right now... crazy light and durable, my friend just hiked the CDT this year with his and loved it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The primary reason for a new tent is to use it whilst completing the JMT this summer, but i'd also like something that is versatile and can be used elsewhere, particularly on the Colorado Plateau.

I don't think i'm a tarp kinda guy and I don't hike with trekking poles so I think for now at least that's out of the question. I do like the look of the Tarptent Rainbow, but I think i'm swaying back towards the Copper Spur. Have spoken to a few people on FB reporting that the MSR doesn't stand up to strong wind particularly well and also that the poles are very fragile, with several folks reporting breaks and snaps.

Just to add my $.02. I have not bought a new tent in years until I bought the Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2 DP. You can set it up with just the fly (w/integral floor), or the basic tent without the fly for star watching, or the whole tent in inclement weather. I like it, especially with the added benefit of being able to climb into it (in the rain) to set up the fly outside the poles, then if needed add the tent itself which clips to the inside of the poles and fly. Pretty cool, and light.

I own all 3 ( TT Rainbow, MSR CF and BA spur). I think the MSR is the best built of the 3. Long term I think it will last the longest. However I like the extra headroom of the BA. In the same location and time of @Vegan.Hiker pic, I had my rainbow. It is far and away my favorite shelter...and I own way too many. That being said, It's not what I would consider a high alpine tent. The new rainbow has more guy outs than the first 2 models, which helps. I would rate them this way. 1st TT Rainbow. I like that it's free standing and very light weight with plenty of space. I would call it 1 1/2 person tent. 2nd MSR. Solid shelter lacks a little space and isn't free standing. 3rd BA. A little heavier, but more head room. I personally have had zipper issues with all 3 BA tents I have owned. Bad luck? Don't know.

I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for and in what kind of terrine.

Have fun shopping.

Last edited:
........ I think I still have some BA 40% off codes around....... I was looking at both but going to another rainbow....I really like the side entrance and extra headroom....