Misery

Nick

-
Zion - the land of shuttle busses, tourists and for many fellow hikers and canyoneers - the infamous Watchman Campground. But not this trip! We started south a little earlier for this trip in hopes of finding some primitive camping outside the park in an area I wasn't very familiar with. We made it to camp with about 45 minutes to spare and settled in for the night.

The foreground wasn't much but the sunset was nice.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-1.jpg

As often happens on the first night of a trip with good friends, we were up far too late proving that people in their thirties can still shotgun a beer amongst other shenanigans. Towards the end of out late night, I decided to get out my new camera and see how the sky looked. No foreground really, but I'm loving the performance. Should be a great rig for future trips.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-2.jpg

The campfire, incoming clouds and a little slice of milky way.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-3.jpg

The next morning was a little painful and came way too early, but soon enough we were off to our first canyon of the weekend - Keyhole Canyon. The skies were looking a bit ominous on the drive in, but we knew it was only a 20% chance of storms so we packed up and did the canyon. We took our time in Keyhole, splashing through pools and having a blast with all the little down climbs and rappels. Most of the group is still pretty new to canyoneering so this was the first extended deep, wet slot for some of them.

After we finished Keyhole, we went back to the car to get ready for Pine Creek. Within minutes the wind was howling and the rain was bordering on sleet. Some of the group started getting cold and fast. We ate some food and tried to warm up but the decision was obvious - there's no way we can descend Pine Creek right now if half the group is already borderline hypothermic. My previous trip was on a warm, sunny September day and we still had some folks running for sunshine after the cathedral rap. Starting out that cold with that kind of weather just wasn't an option.

We decided to put on some dry clothes and head into Springdale and formulate a new plan. We went to the VC and checked the permit situation. Everyone still really wanted to do Pine Creek so we set our sights on Sunday. Permits were available but we'd need to be back at 7am on Saturday morning to get one. Ugh... That put a little damper on our plan to overnight Misery Canyon Friday into Sunday but worse was that we'd have to stick somewhat close to Springdale that night in order to get our permit the next day. And we still had to figure out what to do for the rest of the day - off to the Flying Monkey for a planning session over beer and snacks.

After filling our bellies, I had the idea to head up to the Kolob Terrace and find the Cave Valley pictographs and then camp in a nice spot I know of up there. I didn't know where the rock art was up there but blueeyes had told me roughly where to go as we drove past there once.

It wasn't too hard to pickup on the social trails in the area which eventually led us to a more substantial trail that passes through a couple of gates before starting up into the cave.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-4.jpg

Pretty unique and very cool pictographs in this cave. I don't remember details but I read in some other's posts that this was a birthing cave. There is a big rock in the center that may have been the birthing rock.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-5.jpg

And perhaps these are the birthing pictographs?
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-6.jpg

Smokey, Ndheiner and colefeet pondering over a Sierra Nevada.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-7.jpg

As we hiked back to the car, the clouds were breaking up and the sun came out. It was now starting to look like a fabulous day! Too bad we were now out of time to do Pine Creek!
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-8.jpg

Classic Zion red asphalt on the Kolob Terrace Road
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-9.jpg

The campsite I had in mind up on the Kolob Terrace road was packed to the brim with a church campout so we were off to find something new. We checked a few possibilities before eventually moving on to an area I'd camped in many years ago. It was beautiful but the no-see-ums were fierce! There was a little relief out on the slickrock though.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-10.jpg

The view towards Zion from this campsite is outstanding, especially with clouds like that and late evening light.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-11.jpg

The next morning we were up before light and packing up. We raced into Springdale in time to find a decent line waiting to get permits. Crap! We were about 6th or 7th in line, but luckily they still had enough Pine Creek permits for us. We snagged them up and headed out towards Checkerboard Mesa to start the hike into Misery Canyon, aka Fat Man's Misery.

We were starting a bit later than is ideal because of the need to get permits, but with the long days, it works okay. We were on the trail at 8am and crossing the pass about 45 minutes later.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-12.jpg

After a few more miles we were down into Misery Canyon and descending the many consecutive narrow sections. There was far less water in the canyon than my last visit. Pretty much dry in spots that were very deep before. It made some spots a bit trickier but not bad. I definitely enjoyed it more with more water though.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-13.jpg

Time to get the boots wet!
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-14.jpg

The light in the arch room was awesome again.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-15.jpg

Jen getting ready to swing on in.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-16.jpg

Looking up from the arch room
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-17.jpg

The sun was hitting right into the pool this time making for an incredible light show.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-18.jpg

I didn't take a lot of pictures through the next sections but got the camera back out again after the last rap.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-19.jpg

Such great light through this section.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-20.jpg

zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-21.jpg

Starting into the rather grim looking depths of the last narrows and the famous grotto and double arch.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-22.jpg

The water was so much lower here this time around.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-23.jpg

Jen admiring her surroundings
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-24.jpg

Nate in the final stretch of narrows below the grotto.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-25.jpg

The pools in the lower section were all filled in with sand this time. This drop was a bit more difficult last time because the water below was several feet deep.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-26.jpg

Jen walking through Parunuweap. We stopped and filled up our water reserves at the nice spring between Misery and the exit point.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-27.jpg

It was nice and overcast for much of the hike out, particularly the really steep stuff. Someone has gone through and killed most of the cairns on the route out which has created quite a problem of trails going various places they shouldn't. If I hadn't done the hike before, we would have most certainly ended up in the wrong place. Remember - keep going high high high and just because there are footprints going that doesn't mean it's right. The goal is to crest out on top of the ridge and regain the trail near where you crossed the ridge to access the upper canyon.
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-28.jpg

With about 6 miles to go, I bonked. I'd been feeling pretty good all day except for some weird nerve pain in my knee, but after out first break on the exit route, I just crashed. My knee was acting up big time and I was just toast. It became quite the epic to just get out that day. I was very grateful to have brought trekking poles!

I was a bit sad not to be able to do Fat Man's as an overnight as originally planned, but it was still a fantastic day with good friends. Sadly, I over did it and was unable to do Pine Creek the next day. Or for that matter, even walk down stairs for the following week and a half. It's been 2 weeks now and I think I'm ready to get out on a mellow hike next weekend but it sure is frustrating how poorly my knee is healing up. Until next time...
zion-fat-mans-cave-valley-29.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Beautiful images Nick.
Go easy on your knee, they can haunt you in your old age!

Great report and photos Nicholas. How many times have you done FMM now?

Thanks, guys. I feel like my knees are already haunting me now! That Fat Man's route is a looong day. I honestly wouldn't mind never putting down that much mileage in a day again for the rest of my life. Art - this was my second time doing Fat Man's.

Amazing pics.

One day I'll start using those tricky ropes. One day.

Be nice to your knee.

awesome!! One day I will find someone who will take me to some of the canyons, too.
So far I can only enjoy your wonderful pictures of these great places. Simply breath taking.
Take care of your knee!! You really need it for future trips.

Even my damn knee is cursed this year. Swollen and hurting so many times, it even made some trips really awful. Ignoring sometimes helps, but not always.... :(

Where exactly did you camp? You can PM me, if you like. I'm looking for a decent place so I can skip the part of driving to Zion in the middle of the night

Awesome trip and pics, and glad the knee is holding up (Vitamin I in the morning goes a long way :D) I'm dyin' here waiting to get to Utah (9 weeks and 2 days to go!) Thanks for taking us along!

Beautiful shots Nick! I'm sorry your knee is giving you so much trouble. It sure is frustrating when your body doesn't cooperate with your plans. Dr. Lisa says take it easy on yourself and lay off the strenuous stuff for a little while, then ease yourself back in slowly.:p

i can't really say how much i love this trip report. about equal with how much i dislike your knee for failing you.

Sweet pics Nick ! The only thing missing from this TR is a guy with a pink tank top. Now you better take care of that knee:moses: so you can get up in the Uintas and point me in the right direction in August.

Okay thanks. Having just spent some bucks last week on my sons first semester of college and $3200.00 on an asphalt driveway yesterday, I'm looking for something decent in the range of -CHEAP-. I'm thinking about the Nikon 3100 or a Canon rebel in the same price range. I prefer new over used. I took photo-jouralism in high school but that was before the digitals came along. I want to get something soon so I can play with it before hiking in August.

You can do some amazing stuff with an entry level Canon Rebel and an ultra-wide angle lens. It's all about the glass - get yourself a Canon EF-S 10-22 or Sigma 11-16 and you'll kill it.

Very nice report and images. The light was spectacular.

Your knee still hurts!! Maybe time for a 2nd opinion?? Or are you pushing it too much? When I had my knee surgery it took almost a year before I returned to normal.

Very nice report and images. The light was spectacular.

Your knee still hurts!! Maybe time for a 2nd opinion?? Or are you pushing it too much? When I had my knee surgery it took almost a year before I returned to normal.

Thank you, sir! It's been a 2 steps forward, 1 step back kind of thing. I've kind of just come to the conclusion that this will not be my most ambitious year. Trying to only go out on trips twice per month to allow plenty of healing between and trying to choose slightly less ambitious routes for the two trips per month I do. I'm reasonably sure the surgery didn't work so I'll probably have to go back in for surgery #4 this fall. Fortunately it won't be nearly as catastrophic if all they have to do is cut out the damage rather than try to repair.

I am 46 and have never canyoneered before but after looking at your fine photography I am inspired to try! A really great selection of images.