Micro Rocket or Jetboil

ryin

I picked up a MSR micro rocket for $30. I am wondering if I should keep it or sell it for cash towards a jetboil stove. Any suggestions?

Depends. I use a Optimus Crux. Add in the pot and fuel canister it weighs less than a Jetboil. Also is small is size (volume it takes up in your pack). Boils water as fast as I need it to. I use about 1 8oz canister for a week trip (boil water morning and evening). The jetboil is faster boiling, costs more and easy to make coffee with attachments (more weight) but is large to pack. Generally with gear, buy what you think you will use, buy good quality, by as lightweight and small in size (packing volume) as you can afford. You will get a 100 different opinions.... :)

Reactions: Ben
Like Bob said, this is a preference thing. I like the convenience and speed of the Jetboil, so that's what I use. It takes a little more room in the pack and might weigh a little bit more than other options, but that's a trade-off I'm willing to make in this case....I can cut weight/bulk elsewhere to try and make up for it.

I've had my jetboil for 8 years. Still going strong. I do all mountain house type and also freezer bag cooking. I like it for how fast it boils. While all of my friends are just getting a boil, I am just about to eat my food. That's what I prefer, but whatever floats your boat.

Yep, as Intrepid says. It's all about the trade-off. From what I know, the Jetboil is one of the fastest and most efficient systems out there and pretty much sips on fuel, so you'll probably get a few more boils out of a canister in average situations than most other canister stoves, all other things being equal. Over the long haul, that could save a few dollars here and there on the amount of canisters you buy. With that said, it can be pricier up front, bulkier, and a bit more heavy of a system as others have said above. Looks like Jetboil has also created all kinds of fancy accessories for their system now as well.

Since I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like, I usually only burn through one to two canisters a year, so for the time being, I've opted for just a simple but durable SnowPeak Gigapower which compares very well with the MSR pocket rocket. Looks like the micro rocket beats it in weight by a quite a few ounces. I began to experiment with some DIY alcohol stoves this last year for weight purposes and tend to sway that way now for mid-summer use where appropriate since I'm not as concerned about getting water heated up as quickly as I would be in colder climates and seasons.

Another factor to consider is your cook set. With Jetboil, it's an all-in-one system. With most other canister stoves, you're going to have to add weight and bulk based on the cook-set you use with it. For some that's just a titanium mug and lid that they put their stove and small canister or fuel container into. For me, I'll either take a GSI kettle and mug, or if space is a premium, my GSI Minimilist both of which hold stove and canister. My food gets eaten out of a freezer bag or pouch it came in so that the only item to clean after is my eating utensil.

like Bob said. i think i even use the same stove as him.

i will add how ever that i believe stoves other than the jet boil can give you a little more control over your cooking. how slow or rapid a boil you want. this won't matter if all you need is hot water. but mountain house is expensive. so i dehydrate my own food, recook it, and appreciate greater control.

i have no personal experience using a jetboil though. just a friend who has one that i went on one trip with.
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/members/bob.831/

Reactions: Bob
The thing that deters me from the jetboil is that it doesn't look like you can cram 3 bags of ramen noodles into it. If someone with a jetboil confirms that it can, I'll say adios to my primus and pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to use the integral pot, it has an attachment that enables you to use a larger separate pot.

If you want a large inclusive stove, check out the MSR reactor as well. I know people who switched from a Jetboil to it.