Memorial Day Suggestions?

JMo

We would really like to take a trip over Memorial Day and thought of going down to Goblin Valley. I am wondering if we'll be able to get a camp site or if everything is likely to be full. Does anyone know? Is there somewhere we could go that won't be too crowded?

The main campground is booked but there are primative sites around there that you might be able to snag if you get there early enough.

I was camping at Goblin Valley CG last 4th of July and was basically alone. Somehow I expected a full campground, but it wasn't.
If you're not able to find a site, there are campsites along Temple Mountain Road and in vicinity.

Just looked again and all the sites in the developed campground are full from Thu-Mon on that weekend. I agree with IntrepidXJ Cedar Mesa might be a less crowded alternative.

I have a secret recipe for zero crowds on Memorial Day Weekend. Go somewhere where permits are required. ;) But if that's not doable, I would definitely avoid places like Goblin, Little Wild Horse, Moab, etc. Anything even remotely off the radar would be an improvement. What kind of amenities are you in need of? Is primitive camping okay or do you need a campground? Do you have 4WD?

Goblin was full up all last week when I was there. We camped at a primitive campsite (my favorite) nearby. On Friday we drove past the TH to LWH and I counted 30 cars!!!! :eek:

I have a secret recipe for zero crowds on Memorial Day Weekend. Go somewhere where permits are required. ;) But if that's not doable, I would definitely avoid places like Goblin, Little Wild Horse, Moab, etc. Anything even remotely off the radar would be an improvement. What kind of amenities are you in need of? Is primitive camping okay or do you need a campground? Do you have 4WD?
We have 4WD/high clearance but we also have two small children. We took them out to the campground in Cathedral Valley last year and they had a great time. We're thinking they would love running around Goblin Valley. As for amenities, I think it would be nice to have a bathroom and running water but neither is really a hard requirement. We would definitely be car camping though (the pack-n-play doesn't fit in either of our backpacks).

It will be a little crowded but you could try the Fruita Campground in Capital Reef. Bathrooms with running water. Downfall is the crowds and the fact it's a first come first serve campground, so early arrival is a must. I believe it's only ten bucks a night.

Capitol Reef is a good suggestion! The campground there will definitely fill up by Friday evening, so go early if that's where you want to stay. It's going to be pretty much the same at any campground that weekend. If you plan to go there or Goblin Valley, your best bet would be to snag a primitive spot that's still fairly close to the amenities you want. I.e., if you camp around Temple Mountain, you can still drive to Goblin Valley to use the restrooms. Or if you camp at Meeks Mesa just outside of Capitol Reef you're only a couple miles from a gas station, and a couple miles from the visitor center.

I'm also looking for somewhere to camp Memorial Day weekend. We are headed to Vegas for a concert on Sunday night and want to camp on the way down. I usually avoid holiday weekends, but since the concert is that weekend too I'm sort of stuck. I want to do something near Valley of Fire or Lake mead since I've never been. Campgrounds are already full of course, but I'm happy to do primitive camping, just don't know where good areas are as I'm not familiar. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm also looking for somewhere to camp Memorial Day weekend. We are headed to Vegas for a concert on Sunday night and want to camp on the way down. I usually avoid holiday weekends, but since the concert is that weekend too I'm sort of stuck. I want to do something near Valley of Fire or Lake mead since I've never been. Campgrounds are already full of course, but I'm happy to do primitive camping, just don't know where good areas are as I'm not familiar. Anyone have suggestions?

You can camp at Stewart Point along Northshore Road for free. It's pretty close to VOF, and very pretty, too. One word of warning, however. If you'll be in a tent, keep an eye on the weather forecast before you go. If the forecast calls for winds, they mean it, and you'll want to find somewhere else. Our camp was literally almost blown away the second night of our trip. We almost lost our canopy, and had to put everything in the truck, even heavy items. Our camp table actually blew in to the lake and I had to retrieve it. The only way to get the tent to stop blowing on top of us was to remove the fly and sleep with blankets over our faces to keep the sand out of our eyes and noses. During the rest of the trip it was a great spot. My son and his friend had a blast swimming in the lake, and there's a pit toilet nearby. Here's some more info:

http://freecampsites.net/stewarts-point-lake-mead-nra/

i know that memorial day weekend is the BUSIEST weekend of the entire season down here in the Escalante Canyons region and i would imaging that it extends to the rest of southern utah as well. most of that traffic is drive through or national park visitors though.