Meander Canyon, Colorado River, 9-6-11

gnwatts

I00009iM7A_opM8Y.jpg

We have done this stretch of the Colorado three times, the two previous trips we had pretty high winds every day, which made it a little harder, because we wanted to make it to the confluence with the Green 50 miles away. But this time we (2 friends in kayaks and my wife and I in our canoe) decided just to end up where we end up, as Texs Riverways boat would pick us up anywhere along the route 4 days later. The first day was the usual high winds, as we got on the river about noon. I was starting to get bummed out. But then it stopped for the rest of the trip. except for the last day.

In Grand Junction:

I0000UxuOVneDUDM.jpg

I0000idGXyhsS85s.jpg

I0000TAaRV4TKoo0.jpg
I0000TAaRV4TKoo0.jpg

We camped on a beautiful island, which is one of our favorite things to do. Even though we have been by here three times now I can't tell you the names of the Canyons, as I lost our river map and frankly don't remember the names.

I0000YyvqWnhocOo.jpg

I000058fY_R1udlo.jpg

I000028Z2TlIPEPg.jpg

It was a pretty bright moon, so it was tough to get star shots, but it did light the place up pretty good:

I0000bAkh7PVvaPk.jpg

I0000Ji4PUDJORIc.jpg

The next morning:

I00007CAkNpITC9A.jpg

The next day was a blur of inactivity, and I did not pick up my camera once, except for this shot of my wifes head, and the moon. It rained off and on but we did not mind, as it came down straight without wind:

I0000bYHp06Q.Fdg.jpg

I0000sZb9_ro1zPs.jpg

Camped on another island........

I00008_7YdXz.r64.jpg

I0000elQ4BwMqrsk.jpg

The next morning.
Tripping out on some drift wood.

I0000LQnnUdOuXgM.jpg

I0000qfvQUS2DHkU.jpg

I0000wODgNRgEjbk.jpg

I000023m0H4UFogw.jpg

It get's more and more amazing as you get deeper. This place looks like a city out of a Star Wars movie:

I00005RDVAiK_cKc.jpg

Our third night:

I0000kGC5_hQh1jQ.jpg

A local.

I00004ILpsNk7tkM.jpg

I0000ZKyJsQx4jHI.jpg

Another stormy evening.

I0000NBmg7BQB4Ow.jpg

I00008vulvnPNlBw.jpg

I0000aAcxRi7aiHY.jpg

I0000BjwhZhyzAzU.jpg

I0000fVvAyfIy9x4.jpg

I0000HnUwKDGhkZg.jpg

I00005DMcawXldvk.jpg

We did not have far to go to the confluence with the Green. but the wind came up (this is a shot where we were blown into the cliff) so we lost all enthusiasm and we parked it and started to drink margaritas and wait for the boat to pick us up. Next time (in the fall) we are going to have more days for exploration. Floating, swimming, beer drinking. Spectacular wilderness. What more do you need?

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Love it. Night shots are superb.

Stunning photos! Good stuff.

Thanks for the comments.
Much appreciated.

I'm tripping over the drift wood. Night shots are amazing. Thanks for the TR. I definitely need to get down there.

Fantastic pics! Especially loved the black & white night shots! Thanks for sharing a place I'm not gonna get to this year...hopefully someday. :)

Very nice trip report and pictures. I see you went during September. Is fall the best time for this trip? Obviously you set up a jet boat for the return but how do they know where to pick you up. Do they just go up up-river until they find you? Thanks for posting. Every-time I see a report from this site I drool for retirement.

Thanks for the comments!
Get a boat Nick.
Charlie:
I have never gone in the spring, it probably would be similar to the fall. Early September is perfect though, warm day's and a little cooler nights. Fewer people on the river. The jet boat guys look for you on the way down to Mineral Bottom, and then pick you up on the way back. We always make sure we are pretty visible.