Looking for Softshell/snowshoeing pant suggestions

Discussion in 'Gear' started by swmalone, Jan 6, 2017.

1. swmalone

swmalone Member

I have been snowshoeing for a few years now and I have been using some generic, baggy snow pants. I lost some weight and they no longer fit all that well and I really just hate how baggy they are. Even before I lost the weight they would rub together when I was moving making that annoying swishing sound.

I am looking for suggestions in a softshell pant for someone that is short. My inseam is a 30" on my tall days. I ordered some used Rab Exodus pants from ebay for a good price, but I am pretty sure they are going to be longer than I'm looking for, but for the price I paid I might just try my hand at hemming them and then hitting the hem with some waterproof seam tape.

Anyways, just wondering what some of you guys use when you go out snowshoeing.

2. Jackson

Jackson I like to go outside.

If it's mid twenties or above, I just wear Adidas soccer pants like these. If it's extra cold, I'll wear Under Armour cold gear leggings under the pants. And then gaiters. This system has been rock solid for every cold hike I've done because it's breathable and warm. I'm willing to sacrifice the waterproof aspect of snow pants and stick with gaiters because I figure I usually won't have my legs above my knees submerged in snow for very long.

3. Bob Wire

Bob Wire Member

4. swmalone

swmalone Member

5. Dave

Dave Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"

Wool pants with gaiters are something to consider. I can't stand the swish sound.

Jackson likes this.