Little Death Hollow & Wolverine Loop

Great pics of the trip. We did the loop as a day trip a few years ago. We met a Canadian hiking solo and in part of the tight section in LDH his bear spray bumped the canyon wall and sprayed my friend directly in the face. It made for an interesting few minutes of the trip. Hope to do it again soon. Thanks for the reports and the site. Love it. Jake Tanner

awesome TR Nick, finally got a chance to read it all. the petrified stuff looks great.

As a fellow dog person I know the sheer panic and emotion that come up when your loyal companion runs through an issue like that. In many ways - we're closer to our dogs than our friends. Hope she recovers fully and is able to handle a few more trips!

awesome TR Nick, finally got a chance to read it all. the petrified stuff looks great.

As a fellow dog person I know the sheer panic and emotion that come up when your loyal companion runs through an issue like that. In many ways - we're closer to our dogs than our friends. Hope she recovers fully and is able to handle a few more trips!

Thanks, man. She is doing a lot better now. Her paws still aren't quite there, but the spring is finally back in her step. I'm sure she'll be good for 10-12 mile outings this year. It's pretty damn sad that I can't take her this weekend though. :( I'd love to take one of my other pups but I'm afraid I picked them poorly for things like scrambling through slot canyons and swimming. I mean really, has anyone ever seen a doberman swim??

Picture this in a slot... :lol:

IMG_4999.jpg

Thanks for the great trip report. We hiked Wolverine as an out and back on April 7th and there were some ATV tracks coming up the wash from Horse Canyon. I think we may have encountered the guilty party at the trail head around 12:45 pm before heading in, a group of several adults pulled up as we were packing gear, checked the trail register to see if anyone else was in the canyon and then quickly took off. We encountered what appeared to be very fresh ATV tracks toward the end of the canyon several hours later after stoppping for many pictures. The only other soul we saw that day was a rancher rounding up his cows.

We returned to hike Little Death Hollow on April 21st. The dead cows are still there and we had to gently coax a group of five cows (stopped just before the first drop) out of the canyon so they did not meet the sad fate of their friends. It's starting to get a little warm and the smell was pretty putrid.

Enjoyable report with beautiful pics. Hope Nikita is still hiking here a couple years later.

In May or June of 1991 I did this loop as a dayhike in bone dry conditions.

Thanks @Glasterpiece & @Kullaberg63. Nikita is still alive and kicking, but not as hard as she used to. This did end up being her last significant backpacking trip. She still likes to come on easier trips that she can handle. She even made it on a backpacking trip this past June into the Uintas. We think she turns 12 this month. Love that pup.

June 2013 backpacking the Uintas:
uintas-hiking-2013-16-jpg.11500

Last month on Lake Powell. A very old-dog-friendly trip.
lake-powell-halls-creek-5-jpg.15170

Great TR. I can use this as I am heading down there this weekend for Turkey Day. 5 days in Long Canyon and the Circle Cliffs. Now I am further jazzed!

Nice! You taking the camper down? We were going to boat camp this weekend but the weird weather forecasts scared us out of it. The water is a pretty inhospitable place to be when it's cold and windy. I'm getting very jealous of your camper!

Nice! You taking the camper down? We were going to boat camp this weekend but the weird weather forecasts scared us out of it. The water is a pretty inhospitable place to be when it's cold and windy. I'm getting very jealous of your camper!
Yes we are. 4 season camping! Was supposed to be teens at night. They warmed up the forecast.. a little.

Dumping snow on the camper this morning. Plenty of single digits last week. Wish I was closer to red rock!

Dumping snow on the camper this morning. Plenty of single digits last week. Wish I was closer to red rock!
You at home camped in your driveway to drum up your bag nights? Or are you up at Yellowstone still?

You at home camped in your driveway to drum up your bag nights? Or are you up at Yellowstone still?
I don't know if I can count that high. Molly gets bored if we go home. Working out in the desert towards Craters of the Moon.

Wild. You've had a productive year work-wise. I think you should count them. Then we can put you in that special bag night category with @Joey and @Bob for the dedicated people. Happy t'day bros.