Leaving Alaska '16-Part 1

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
The greatest tragedy of our natural world is playing out in Alaska folks.

Alaska is a massive state, full of a variety of landscapes and wonder. While working in Katmai for the summer, I never wandered more than 30 miles from where I lived. Compared to every other time in my adult life, this still amazes me. I've never been so "stagnant" for so long. It was an amazing summer, don't get me wrong, but I didn't do near as much as I envisioned when I thought "I'M GOING TO ALASKA!!" So when the season ended, a group of us decided to take a little time before returning to the lower 48.

Thus began the "Family Vacation to See Alaska's Dying Glaciers!"

After a day in Anchorage seeing society, visiting spots Katmai visitors had lead us to believe were amazing, eating food, and watching some 30 Rock, five of us piled into a rental car and started to drive south. Our destination was the coastal gateway town of Seward. We'd heard great things, and wanted to affirm them.

Despite stormy conditions, the drive south was a great lifter of our excitement levels. Tall mountains, fall colors, lots of water and glaciers. Driving can be so awesome!
Leaving AK-4.jpg Leaving AK-10.jpg Leaving AK-11.jpg

Arriving in Seward can only be described as dreamlike. The town isn't necessarily amazing, but it was far nicer than the bush towns of King Salmon and Naknek. It felt small, rustic and touristy, as opposed to run down, remote and... run down. Massive mountains with glaciers clinging to them and Resurrection Bay sure helped the atmosphere. It was what I thought of when I dreamed of Alaska.

The view south from Seward
Leaving AK-30.jpg

After a night of enjoying a cookout (we could have food outside!!) we started out our trip with what was our main draw to the area: Kenai Fjord NP's Exit Glacier and the Harding Icefield. We had all seen glaciers before, but they were all of the alpine variety. We wanted to see a big one, see what real ice was like.

Driving down the road shows enough to drop the jaw.
Leaving AK-33.jpg

Exit Glacier has to be one of the most accessible glaciers around. The park has developed a great trail that at one time took you right up to the mass of ice. Signs line the walk, documenting where the ice had been in the past, all the way until the end of the walk, where the glacier has receded beyond even poking it with a stick.

Leaving AK-37.jpg Leaving AK-38.jpg Leaving AK-41.jpgLeaving AK-40.jpg Leaving AK-44.jpg Leaving AK-48.jpg Leaving AK-51.jpg Leaving AK-53.jpg

I won't lie, I broke down and got pretty emotional here. Something about glaciers really gets to me. They are simply masses of ice, and yet they seem so alive. They have lived for thousands of years, slowly being pulled my gravity, sculpting the landscape beneath their ginormous weight. Many of the landscapes I am extremely fond of: Glacier NP, the Bighorn Mtns, the GYE, the Wasatch; have all been heavily influenced by glaciers, and yet their presence is nearly negligible in those environments now. Here was one of these creators, dying before my eyes. I had a similar experience at the foot the a glacier on Mt Magiek in Katmai, yet that experience was so odd that it was here at Exit Glacier where the sadness of the whole story really hit home (click here if you haven't read that story.) This glacier, and so many across the world, are disappearing at a tremendous rate. It could very well be that there won't be glaciers like this in a few generations, and it is our fault. It was incredibly moving.

Leaving AK-55.jpg Leaving AK-58.jpg Leaving AK-65.jpg Leaving AK-69.jpg Leaving AK-70.jpg

Yet I couldn't stay and cry all day. We had ambitions to hike up to the head of the glacier, up at the Harding Icefield. A huge glacier sounded mindblowing, what about 30 square miles of ice?!? We had to go see. That did mean hiking four miles and gaining 3000' in elevation after a summer of losing fitness, but we figured we could make it.

Leaving AK-78.jpg Leaving AK-79.jpg Leaving AK-81.jpg
The hike up had amazing views of the glacier and the valley below the entire way. I would say this trail ranks up there with the best I have ever hiked.Leaving AK-82.jpg Leaving AK-85.jpg
Dynamic skies made the view and ever evolving wonder.
Leaving AK-88.jpg Leaving AK-89.jpg Leaving AK-90.jpg Leaving AK-92.jpg Leaving AK-93.jpg Leaving AK-97.jpg Leaving AK-98.jpg Leaving AK-99.jpg Leaving AK-103.jpg Leaving AK-108.jpg Leaving AK-110.jpg Leaving AK-113.jpg Leaving AK-114.jpg Leaving AK-116.jpg Leaving AK-117.jpg Leaving AK-119.jpg Leaving AK-122.jpg

As we ate, and tried to ponder what it truly was that we were seeing, clouds moved in and wiped out our view. After a while we roused for some group picture time in the cloud. But as the picture was taking, the cloud was moving out. This happened for about five pictures until the Icefield was behind us.

Leaving AK-123.jpg Leaving AK-124.jpg Leaving AK-127.jpg Leaving AK-129.jpg

Then being spry young people full of wonder and inspiration, we decided to go down and check out the ice. Now, if the glacier felt like something dying, the icefield felt like an innocent babe, ignorant and waiting, for its time to come. It's crazy to think that before too long, it will be a requirement for people to hike up here to experience glaciers.

Leaving AK-131.jpg Leaving AK-132.jpg Leaving AK-137.jpg Leaving AK-138.jpg Leaving AK-139.jpg Leaving AK-145.jpg Leaving AK-147.jpg Leaving AK-148.jpg Leaving AK-151.jpg Leaving AK-154.jpg

With time ticking away and weather moving in, reluctantly we trudged back up to the trail so we could get back to town. Along the way we got significantly waylaid by clouds moving through.

Leaving AK-158.jpg Leaving AK-160.jpg Leaving AK-163.jpg Leaving AK-166.jpg Leaving AK-170.jpg Leaving AK-171.jpg Leaving AK-173.jpg Leaving AK-174.jpg Leaving AK-179.jpg

Wow. WowowowowowowowowowowowowowowWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

That is pretty much all I could think of as we descended the mountain. This trip was so incredibly worth it I can't articulate the feeling. All the wonder, excitement, boredom, aggravation, and joy of my summer in Katmai was blown away at that moment. As I look back Katmai has seemed much better than it was at the time, but Exit Glacier and the Harding Icefield inspired me to love Alaska.

Leaving AK-181.jpg Leaving AK-182.jpg Leaving AK-183.jpg Leaving AK-184.jpg

I don't throw the descriptor "amazing" around lightly. I don't use it for people for instance. It has to be an extremely influential person to actually deserve being called that.

This was AMAZING.

It puts all else to shame.

And it is going away folks...

Attachments

• Leaving AK-50.jpg
    Leaving AK-50.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 36
Excellent and informative post on a subject that we all wish would just go away. It won't and it does not matter what we think. Nature does not care. The Earth is in a state of constant chaos and reinvention. This is a normal and natural state of affairs. We will be gone soon, glaciers will cover the Earth and recede again and humans will not be a memory in a the long blink of geologic time.

I love your Alaska reports, and this one is another awesome one. What an amazing view of the glacier.
I'm planning on a road trip to Alaska in 2018 and your images want me to go right away.
Really cool stuff and so sad to see the evidence of all the disappearing glaciers.

Scott, Great Trip Report and Photos! Now I myself the last four summers have been up in Alaska and have Absolutely Loved It! Now have been up viewing the enormous glaciers and icefields that are in Wrangell St Elias NP and elsewhere. Awesome!!! Alaska is sooooo absolutely awesome that do think that everyone needs to get up there and see it while they can. Have been loving your photos and trip reports. And again Thanks Scott!

Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited:
Nice photos and report, pal.

I agree with much of the sentiment. Including it being one of the best trails I've experienced. Been to the top three times including an overnight backpack with a bear encounter while cooking dinner. Have nearly attempted a full Harding Icefield tour north to south on skis with my since-passed local friend.

On the glaciers disappearing that will be the theme of my upcoming TR of our Glacier Tour in the High Wind Rivers this summer.

Seems to me, to my dismay, that the extinction will continue with or without our admission of guilt, or even more sadly, our significant intervention. Personally, I will continue to fight and struggle on...

Seems to me, to my dismay, that the extinction will continue with or without our admission of guilt, or even more sadly, our significant intervention. Personally, I will continue to fight and struggle on...

x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and on and on. My computer doesn't have an infinity symbol.

I find it funny that my dad posted that in Glacier NP I declared "I get it dad." I don't doubt that I said this, but I didn't fully grasp anything glacially related. Glaciers are one of those things that despite their tangibility are also extremely hard to truly understand, much like the warming of our planet. I tried to keep politics of global warming out of my report but facts are facts that the planet is warming. Before Alaska, and meeting the glaciers of this trip and Katmai, I understood global warming but didn't understand global warming.

I had a coworker that quoted and agreed with NPS director Jon Jarvis saying that climate change is the greatest challenge facing our national parks. At the beginning of my season I disagreed, saying it was a big deal but the immediate issue of park crowding and infrastructure was the true top issue. By the end of the summer I completely changed my tune. We as a species think in immediates, we're all honestly pretty selfish, I know I am, and because climate change is a long term event it is really hard for us to challenge it. The parks give the perfect tangibles to challenge this notion though. While we're all clambering over each other to see these valuable things, those things are going to disappear. Special species will move out of parks whose environment no longer fits them. Creative forces that fuel the creation of these special landscapes are being stressed by different climates, and to the extreme of glaciers, dying out completely. We enjoy our parks, but how will people enjoy them in a couple generations? Hmm, how altruistic can we feel?

This summer, and particularly this trip, were truly inspirational to me. All of these things that we value so much are made up of much more minute parts, parts that are far easier to effect. I think my future as a park ranger, and a human being, has truly changed because of this realization. Even if my own actions can be minuscule in the grand scheme of things, I hope that I can feel proud that I chose to care when my deathbed comes. Because there are things we can do to give our future a planet they can enjoy, and they really aren't that detrimental to our experience.

Anyhoo, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the stories and the pictures. Keep loving nature and be inspired to get up to Alaska soon!

Great pictures as always. Really enjoyed looking at them. All of you Chandlers know how to take a good picture!

You mentioned global warming and I thought I'd make a comment -especially with regard to another place in Alaska. A few years ago I went to Glacier Bay. As part of that I checked out the National Park Service's map - cause I like maps. I was surprised to see on their map that they show the locations of the ends of the glaciers since 1750. What surprised me the most is that Glacier Bay physically did not exist prior to 1780. It was a vast ice field. 90% or more of the melting of that vast ice field occurred in the 120 years between 1780 and 1900. Glacier Bay has to be strong evidence that global warming was already under way in a big way as early as 1780. It surprises me that people deny that global warming is a reality and maybe that has a lot to do with politics. It worries me that there is never any discussion or speculation that its been going on longer than about 30 to 40 years. Maybe that's due to politics too. I'm sure that many would think that if we could just dial our climate back to 1780 we'd be in the clear - but Glacier Bay says that's probably not the case.

Here's the link to the NPS map for Glacier Bay. Its worth a look especially if you like maps. https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/upload/Complete brochure two sides.pdf

What a great hike. When we were there the weather deteriorated as we got higher and we never got clear views of the Harding Ice Field. It is sobering to see those signs and how they get further and further away from each other but the dates get closer to each other.