Lake Hardy & South Thunder Mtn

WasatchWill

Ready For More
A couple weeks ago, @sixstringsteve and @Tess put out an invite for any BCP members to join them, their dog, Fender, and their neighbor, Riley, on an excursion up to Lake Hardy just above Alpine. @Mike K, @WillisBodillus, and myself were delighted to join. While Willis also goes by "Will" in real life, I'll refer to him as Willis through this post to discern him from myself. :) On the trip, I had dubbed him "Big Will" since I'm a much smaller guy by comparison.

After meeting up at Steve's and settling carpool arrangements, it was on to the trailhead. It was about 6 pm when we started the hike.

14509518040_9c08d0b6ae_o.jpg
Riley, Tess, Steve, Willis, & Will (me) at the trailhead. (Photo by Mike)

1-P1010001.JPG
Steve & Willis heading up the beginning switchbacks.

Lake Hardy is a grueling gain in elevation, even for more fit and experienced hikers, so since we had a few beginners, many breaks were taken. I think these breaks were welcomed by all in the group and enabled us to become more acquainted.

The first break would be at the First Hamongog. This would bring up a discussion about what "hamangog" meant. Turns out it is something biblical that more or less means "a mountain meadow". From here we would maintain trail #176.

14509741667_86d2c32a49_o.jpg
Steve at the wilderness boundary entering the First Hamongog. (Photo by Mike)

14693796884_c38412dc73_o.jpg
Breaking at the First Hamongog. (Photo by Mike)

14513331087_90873a8662_o.jpg
First Hamongog. (Photo by Willis)

5-P1010007.JPG
Committing to trail #176. (Photo by Will)

14696187395_ff18914508_o.jpg
Entering the "Jungle" of 6 foot ferns and flowers. (Photo by Mike)

14696592911_4b282d93fb_k.jpg
Riley pushing through the ferns. (Photo by Willis)

The next break would be in the neighborhood of East Hamongog where a reliable stream provided a refreshing refill for our water bottles.

3-P1010004.JPG
Stream near East Hamangog. (Photo by Will)

14692999811_1440342fd9_o.jpg
Topping off the water bottles. (Photo by MIke)

14509490210_f485f6ced2_o.jpg
Stream near East Hamangog. (Photo by Mike)

Not long after, we would encounter a steep ascent up through some scrub oak. Upon reaching the top of this stretch, the sun had set and the darkness of night had quickly settled in on us. It was time to saddle on the headlamps.

14509481880_72667f33fa_o.jpg
Will (me) at the top of the steep ascent of #176. (Photo by Mike)

Typically, it's no fun to have to set up camp and cook in the dark, but the cooler temps of night time were a nice trade-off as were the views of the city lights below. This next stretch would also give us the adventure of scrambling over some granite slabs, rocks and boulders. Fortunately, everybody made it up as well as they could with no twisted ankles or slips and spills.

14509504898_ea4446263c_o.jpg
Entering the granite zone. (Photo by Mike)

14509469750_a613e8143f_o.jpg
The valley below. (Photo by Mike)

14509703127_d54e1c829e_o.jpg
Willis, Tess, Fender, & Steve. (Photo by Mike)

It wasn't until about midnight that we finally reached camp in a beautiful meadow below Lake Hardy. We all set up our various shelters, had some dinner, enjoyed some trailside cheesecake courtesy of Tess and relaxed around a fire a bit before retiring at around 2 am.

01-P1010019.JPG
Relaxing around the fire. (Photo by Will)

Needless to say, we all took the opportunity to sleep in a bit before getting a start on the new day's agenda: Getting up to Lake Hardy, followed by a summit of South Thunder Mountain, then hitting Lake Hardy again on the way back before packing camp and heading home. The beauty of the meadow we were in couldn't be fully realized until we were greeted by the morning sun.

14676742036_051a55a81c_o.jpg
Morning Light. (Photo by Willis)

14696578821_12daf9d486_o.jpg
The Meadow. (Photo by Willis)

06-P1010035.JPG
Our camp: Mike set up his tent and I set up my hammock on one side of the meadow while the others kept to spots across the meadow. (Photo by Will)

04-P1010032.JPG
My DIY hammock on its maiden voyage. (Photo by Will)

14716020753_33f2c48b51_o.jpg
Another angle of camp. (Photo by Mike)

14673074516_90348d8d04_o.jpg

Fender. (Photo by Mike)

Despite it being mid-summer, the high elevation kept the temps cool. Steve's neighbor, Riley, opted to stay back at camp and rest up his legs which were suffering from some painful shin splints while the rest of us made way for Lake Hardy. Flowers were also out in full force through this section between our camp and the lake.

14513314987_dc6ced68d2_o.jpg
Leaving the meadow. (Photo by Willis)

15-P1010047.JPG
Flowers & Stream. (Photo by Will)

17-P1010050.JPG
Flowers. (Photo by Will)

14509456820_4d2cdb5a97_o.jpg
Columbine. (Photo by Mike)

14696146385_4132205823_o.jpg
Another Columbine. (Photo by Mike)

14696072805_047a0384a5_o.jpg
Willis with Tess & Steve in the distance. (Photo by Mike)

14513069280_4c35d6f4df_o.jpg
Bouldering up toward Lake Hardy. (Photo by Willis)

22-P1010064.JPG
A small cascading waterfall and pool. (Photo by Will)

24-P1010067.JPG
Approaching Lake Hardy. (Photo by Will)

25-P1010068.JPG
Small pool beneath Lake Hardy. (Photo by Will)

14509680297_1cf644595c_o.jpg
Willis just below Lake Hardy. (Photo by Mike)

Once we reached the lake, Steve couldn't resist testing the waters. The rest of us chose to wait until after South Thunder before jumping in.

28-P1010075.JPG
Lake Hardy. (Photo by Will)

29-P1010076.JPG
Lake Hardy reflection. (Photo by Will)

30-P1010078.JPG
Lake Hardy Pano. (Photo by Will)

After a good rest, we loaded up and headed up the ridge west of the lake where we would scramble across and over granite. This would lead us to the base of South Thunder Mountain. From there it was more bouldering with a bit of class 3 here and there all the way to the top.

14673106676_726b84c881_o.jpg
Willis & Steve scrambling up to the ridge. (Photo by Mike)

14513311497_82549b1b1c_o.jpg
Will & Tess traversing the ridge above Hardy. (Photo by Willis)

14699466992_2c54fdea8a_o.jpg
Will above Hardy. (Photo by Willis)

14699755665_85ff48877e_o.jpg
Lake Hardy from above. (Photo by Willis)

14513097899_481a237379_o.jpg
On the ridge above Hardy. Camp is in the meadow below. (Photo by Willis)

14509467608_32175350b6_o.jpg
Scrambling over the ridge. Will in the background, Steve and Willis in the foreground. (Photo by Mike)

34-P1010083.JPG
A downed log upon an interesting rock formation on the way up to South Thunder. (Photo by Will)

35-P1010084.JPG
Approaching South Thunder--in the distance. (Photo by Will)

14673090026_a7d953239a_o.jpg
Tess ascending South Thunder Mtn. Steve & Will in the distance. (Photo by Mike)

Once we hit the top, we were greeted to an amazing 360 degree view. Lone Peak, Little Matterhorn (aka Pheifferhorn), Box Elder, Timp, among other nearby neighboring peaks could all be spotted with ease. I think Mike is a full time peak bagger while I consider myself a part-time peak bagger. Steve insists that he's not a peak bagger, but I think we got him, Tess, and Willis converted after taking in the views such a summit offers. Impressively, Fender had little to no trouble at all with the peak either.

14696105755_86840ffb3b_o.jpg
Fender reaches the Summit. (Photo by Mike)

53-P1010106.JPG
Will. (Photo by Will)

14673086186_7bc9699b9a_o.jpg
Representin' BCP! (Photo by Mike)

14715977193_3bdbc701e4_o.jpg
South Thunder Mtn. 11,154 ft. (Photo by Mike)

48-P1010099.JPG
Lone Peak on the left and Upper Bells Reservoir in the lower right with SL Valley upper right. (Photo by Will)

40-P1010090.JPG
Pano, from L to R: Timp, Utah Valley, Lone Peak, SL Valley. (Photo by Will)

We signed the register and soaked in the views for a good while. A couple of ridge runners paid a visit to the summit as well. Despite hearing some other voices making their way above our camp earlier in the morning, this would be the only people I remember encountering on the whole trip until back at the trailhead later in the day.

37-P1010087.JPG
Summit Register. (Photo by Will)

45-P1010095.JPG
All signed. (Photo by Will)

Once it was time to turn back, we chose to descend the boulder slide directly into the north side of Hardy rather than back down the west ridge we had come up on.

58-P1010115.JPG
Preparing to descend back down to Lake Hardy. (Photo by Will)

59-P1010116.JPG
Willis, Steve, Fender, & Tess on the descent. (Photo by Will)

14695794802_18a2556689_o.jpg
Almost There. (Photo by Mike)

61-P1010119.JPG
The boulder slide. (Photo by Will)

Once we arrived back at the lake, it now looked much more inviting to those of us who declined it earlier in the morning.

62-P1010121.JPG
Steve & Fender. (Photo by Will)

14509632027_3e6444106a_o.jpg
Willis & Fender (Photo by Mike)

14696077045_5c07c9536d_o.jpg
Steve & Will. (Photo by Mike)

After the dip in the lake, it was time to make our way back to camp to load up the rest of our gear and head back down to the cars. Steve had wanted to make the trip a loop hike, so he had planned for us to take trail #187, a route that is supposed to me more traveled with less vegetation to scratch at the legs. Finding it where the map stated it was proved to be a bit of an adventure however. Still, we pressed on with some bushwhacking and more bouldering and scrambling up and over a hillside to a point much higher that where the topo maps had indicated before finally seeing some cairns that put us on the trail we were looking for. From there it was a good descent down back to its junction with the trail we had taken up from the First Hamongog. Once out of the upper basin and meadows, the temps were noticeably warmer. Due to the time being much later in the day than anticipated, Mike, Willis, and myself moved ahead of the group in attempt to reach the trail head sooner since we had carpooled together. Steve and Tess stayed back to assist with Riley and ensure he got down the mountain OK.

As we got nearer to the trailhead, the sun was really pounding on us and the heat was starting to really take its toll. Willis was clever enough to improvise a sunbrella with his sleeping pad. We also encountered a rattlesnake lurking in the bushes amidst the switchback above the trailhead. Fortunately, it stayed in the bushes, though I was surprised that it never rattled at us. I suppose it felt sheltered enough to never have felt threatened.

14673046766_c81f876822_o.jpg
The "Sunbrella". (Photo by Mike)

Eventually, all of us had made it down safe and sound. For just a 5-6 mile out'n'back overnighter (about 12 miles RT), we were all exhausted, but ever grateful to Steve for putting together such a trip.

This was my first visit to this area and it did not feel like most of the rest of the Wasatch I've been to.
When at Lake Hardy, with all the granite we were surrounded by, it felt like we were in an entirely different mountain range. Perhaps the Winds or even the Sierras based on photos I've seen, or perhaps even the Alps. After all, those who settled and named Alpine thought the mountains above it reminded them of the European Alps and named their town as such. I always look at photos of others' trips to high alpine ranges far and abroad with awe but I'm equally amazed and grateful to have such pockets of beauty literally just outside my front door.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's what I call a trip report! Great write-up Will! :thumbsup: Seriously...fantastic.

It was a great little trip. Well, short, but not so little. Great company. Awesome cheese cake. Fender was entertaining. Bagged a peak. Gorgeous scenery. Steep hike equaled sore legs. I have to share some quotes from some of the trip participants about how sore we were afterwards (even Fender!). I hope no one minds me sharing.

And by the way...is anyone else sore? My quads and calves are killin'!!! I'm definitely not in shape for steep up and down hills with a pack. Jeesh!!!

I'm in the same boat. My legs have been hating me all day.
I'll be prepared for the next one for sure.

I'm dead. I walk up stairs like a crippled old man.

Fender was too tired to get out of the car yesterday, I had to carry him in. My calves are rock hard and my quads are feeling it too.

My calves and the upper part of my quads have been TEN-DER today!

Wow Will, masterfully reported. I know how exhausting it can be to write a trip report like that, very well done. What a great group of guys. I really appreciate everyone waiting up and staying with the group, you guys are the best. That was the most difficult hike I've done in the past 5 years. Riley had hiked timp the week before and he said this was about 10x harder.

The pics sure bring back the memories. I'll add the video in 4 months or so when I get to it. :)

Wow Will, masterfully reported. I know how exhausting it can be to write a trip report like that, very well done. What a great group of guys. I really appreciate everyone waiting up and staying with the group, you guys are the best. That was the most difficult hike I've done in the past 5 years. Riley had hiked timp the week before and he said this was about 10x harder.

Thanks. I think the most challenging part of this one wasn't the time but making sure to credit the right people on the photos. And I'd have to agree with Riley. Despite the longer distance, Timp is a walk in the park compared to what we did with this trip. By the way, did you make it on your Box Elder Peak trip Friday? How was that?

I was burned out from steep hikes, so I bailed on my own trip. I'd like to hike box elder peak as a day hike. Maybe this sat?

Now I wished I would have gone! Not that I could have but, man! The Wasatch Front is awesome!

It was quite the climb. 5640 ft of elevation gain in 7.3 miles (1-way). Followed by 5640 feet of elevation loss in 7.3 more miles.

I was burned out from steep hikes, so I bailed on my own trip. I'd like to hike box elder peak as a day hike. Maybe this sat?

I have to work this Saturday, but I don't have to go in at a fixed time. Perhaps I can slip on up there if we got started on it early enough. I'd probably be most comfortable attempting it from Dry Creek so that if time did become an issue, it would be easier for me to just turn back and head home. If you wanted to set a car up at Granite Flat, I could probably shuttle. Let me know if you're up for it and I'll talk to Jess.

It was quite the climb. 5640 ft of elevation gain in 7.3 miles (1-way). Followed by 5640 feet of elevation loss in 7.3 more miles.

Yeah, I think I incorrectly stated that it was over 7,000 elevation gain. I must have confused that with some other peak...oops.