Kermsuh Lake September 2011

FARGO

This is my first trip report.

A little background, I grew up on the east coast. All through middle school and high school I was heavily involved in the scouting programs and I loved camping and exploring the outdoors. When I moved to Utah my first impression was, "this is a desert!". But then I was playing around on google maps one day and found this.

I picked up a few books, maps and read through a ton of Nick Wooleys trip reports. After spending all of last winter looking for the perfect trip, I decided on Kermsuh Lake.
IMG_0898.JPGIMG_0916.JPGIMG_0917.JPG IMG_0900.JPG
Boy was I happy about my choice, it was a short drive from Downtown SL to the Christmas Meadows trail head. It is very easy to find just about 400 yards from the ranger station heading south from Evanston, WY.
IMG_0924.JPGIMG_0938.JPGIMG_0942.JPG
Most of the trail is pretty rocky, there are several stream crossings so plenty of fresh water is to be found. I heard about this little tool called a steripen, takes 90 seconds to purify 1L of water, its extremely light weight. No more big camelbaks or boiling water. All I brought was this little tool and a small water bottle. Cut down on a lot of weight.
IMG_0911 copy.jpg
There were quite a few trees down over the trail, however I thought this made it a little more adventurous.
IMG_0919.JPG
If you want to learn more about the trail itself see Nicks trip report, he does a fantastic job describing the trail. Its very steep and rocky but its not very long and you could easily go in and out on a day trip if you wanted but I would recommend at least 3 days and 2 nights.
IMG_0906.JPG
All and all it was a great trip, I don't really know what else to say. If you have any questions feel free to comment.

Awesome! That's one hell of a good first post. Welcome to backcountrypost! Kermsuh is one of my favorite spots in the Uintas. :)

I'm going to have to keep Kermsuh in mind when I plan a trip to the Unitas! Thanks for posting!!!

I'm going to have to keep Kermsuh in mind when I plan a trip to the Unitas! Thanks for posting!!!

It's a great one for fishing. Really plump brookies in there. Although the best campsites on the south side of the lake also have the worst fishing because of a big shallow area on that side. Best fishing is on the west and north sides. Check out my Kermsuh TR's here if you'd like to see more.

It's a great one for fishing. Really plump brookies in there. Although the best campsites on the south side of the lake also have the worst fishing because of a big shallow area on that side. Best fishing is on the west and north sides. Check out my Kermsuh TR's here if you'd like to see more.

LOVE this pic of yours Nick!!! Is this the one you were talking about that you think you captured the Aurora in?
6025434181_b943cdd2aa_z.jpg

LOVE this pic of yours Nick!!! Is this the one you were talking about that you think you captured the Aurora in?

Yep. That night anyway. I caught a few shots like that with the purple on the horizon but wasn't really sure what it was. When I ran the time lapse from my star trails, it's clearly the aurora fluctuating through those trees and over the horizon. It goes away completely and comes back well afar dark. A day or two after that trip, there was a story on KSL with some photos from some people up in northern Utah/Wyoming somewhere that caught photos of purple aurora activity and they were talking about how incredibly rare it was to see it in the area. We must have been just south of it where we were camped. That shot is looking directly north from Christmas Meadows so the nearest 'city' is Evanston around 30-40 miles away.

I am thinking about taking another trip up there soon, I really loved the fact that no one else was around. Got me a new stove and fashioned a new tent and I need to try it out!!