Katmai '16- Mt Katolinat

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
"What the heck am I doing?! This is ridiculous! This is AMAZING!"

I'm not sure if this actually escaped my mouth halfway up the mountain, I may have been gasping too hard, but it is a phrase that sticks out in my head. It was essentially the mantra of this entire adventure.
________

Mt Katolinat-1.jpg

Mt Katolinat dominates the view east from Brooks Camp. It's very impressive, towering 4700' seemingly straight up from Naknek Lake. It also seems unattainable, distant, wild. So when a group was forming to summit the monster and I was invited I quickly jumped on board. Literally, I jumped onto a boat.

In order to maximize off time, we set off in the early afternoon to camp out on a small island near the head of Naknek Lake. Again, island. Brooks Camp is an amazing place in itself but to get away you have to jump through some different hoops. Like jumping into a tiny boat on the fourth largest lake in Alaska. Yeah, it's pretty surreal. As you boat away from camp it literally feels like you're leaving everything behind. After a while on the water we spotted our shelter and settled in for the evening. What an evening! Good company and an epic sunset.

Mt Katolinat-7.jpg
The view east from Spruce IslandMt Katolinat-19.jpg
Mt Ikigluik, a different view from that seen at the VTTS
Mt Katolinat-25.jpg
Mt Katolinat-33.jpg
Glow on Mt Katolinat
Mt Katolinat-38.jpg

The next morning dawned glorious. Excitedly we broke down camp and hopped into the boat... and within minutes were socked into dense fog. Whoops. We proceeded to spend a couple hours sitting in the boat waiting for the fog to thin enough for us to cross the lake. Without sight of the mountain we would have no idea where we were. It's not like we were following a trail or anything. An exclamation happens, the shadow of a peak has appeared. Off we scoot across the lake!

Mt Katolinat-42.jpg Mt Katolinat-44.jpg Mt Katolinat-45.jpg

Reaching the other side of the lake, it's off through the brush we go! Grass brushes the face. Alders have to be rounded. A rushing creek is crossed. Swarms of whitesocks, bloodsucking devil spawns that bit me so much to make me resemble The Hunchback of Notre Dame or Phantom of the Opera, are unrelenting. Steadily up we go. We're beelining for "The Cheeks," a posterior resembling ridge that offers the easiest slope up the mountain. I shudder to think what harder would be like. The final bit up would have been vertical had it gotten any steeper.

Mt Katolinat-46.jpg Mt Katolinat-49.jpg Mt Katolinat-51.jpg Mt Katolinat-55.jpg Mt Katolinat-62.jpg Mt Katolinat-65.jpg Mt Katolinat-66.jpg Mt Katolinat-68.jpg

Briefly rested, we continue up. The world really does fall away sometimes. The monumentalness of this whole adventure continually cycles through my head. Remote only scratches the surface of how out there we are. When a visitor center could sit right on the lake and a trail could switchback up this mountain, that will NEVER happen because WE have chosen to leave this wild as designated wilderness. This is entirely our experience. This is the Final Frontier, Alaska at its finest.

Mt Katolinat-70.jpg Mt Katolinat-73.jpg Mt Katolinat-74.jpg Mt Katolinat-78.jpg Mt Katolinat-80.jpg
Yep, bear scat. They're everywhere!!Mt Katolinat-82.jpg

Eventually we hit the top of the ridge. A massive valley extends below us and the peak finally seems nearby. The easiest walking of the trek is upon us.

Mt Katolinat-88.jpg Mt Katolinat-92.jpg
Mt Katolinat's Summit and Mt Grggs. 4700' vs 7600'Mt Katolinat-97.jpg
Snow Bunting (on left rocks) and Mt Martin

Reaching the top is surreal. The countryside is amazingly vast. Naknek Lake stretches out below, still so vast that we can't see all of it. In the distance is Brooks Camp. To the east is the Valley of 10,000 Smokes, seemingly small up here. Volcanoes dominate the skyline. I'm not sure if I've been on a summit that has felt bigger. I'm sure they are out there, but I haven't been on their tops.

Mt Katolinat-99.jpg
View North, the island we camped on is visible.Mt Katolinat-100.jpg
View west. Naknek Lake sprawling below. Lake Brooks and Dumpling Mountain out there a ways. Margot Creek close.Mt Katolinat-102.jpg
View east. The Valley of 10,000 Smokes looks small up here. Mt Katolinat-103.jpg
Close up of the VTTS. The eruption at Novarupta came from between the brown hills (Baked and Broken Mtns) and the white peaks behind them (Trident Volcano). Kodiak Island is visible through Katmai Pass (right of Trident)Mt Katolinat-106.jpg
Mt GriggsMt Katolinat-107.jpg
Collapsed Mt KatmaiMt Katolinat-108.jpg
Closeup of the eruption areaMt Katolinat-109.jpg
Mt MartinMt Katolinat-111.jpg
Mountain layers all the way to Mt MagiekMt Katolinat-113.jpg
Two volcanoes to the northMt Katolinat-115.jpg
Margot Creek mixing with Naknek LakeMt Katolinat-116.jpg
Close up of Brooks Camp

I'm not sure if I've ever felt more wild.
Mt Katolinat-118.jpg