In the Land of Yant

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
In the Land of Yant

This was a long planned trip for some sunset shots for me with finally having a long weekend off again.
A few days before the trip I found out that @sixstringsteve wanted to backpack in the area that weekend and we decided to meet up at my preferred camp spot roughly half a mile away from the Yant Flats trail head. Eventually we met Friday afternoon and headed to the Yant Flats area. Unfortunately the sun was gone and we had to deal with overcast skies.
The thick layer of clouds stayed all the time while we were hiking and exploring the area.

i-SfqNX8s-L.jpg

We eventually headed to the big area and walked around a bit. We met a few friends of mine as well, they were exploring the area with the local Meetup hiking group. What a small world.
The sky wasn't looking too promising for sunset but then all of a sudden a small window in the sky opened up just before the sun went below the horizon, And it was enough the create the best light show for months. We were rewarded with one of the sickest sunsets ever.

i-vsm5JPr-L.jpg

The sky starts to glow

i-svGbffm-L.jpg

it's getting better

i-BqfJ9Xj-L.jpg

... and better

i-5fh7MqK-L.jpg

@sixstringsteve and Fender enjoying the light show

i-V4mR4Wk-L.jpg

mission accomplished - I got my perfect shot

We hiked back in the dark and got back to camp where we had a nice fire going.
Originally I wanted to shoot sunrise at Yant again but the sky again was almost completely overcast. We got a tiny little bit of color.

i-LtcHjrH-L.jpg

like last year same spot at the rim

We headed back to Yant after breaking camp and explored a bit more. And I finally was able to find the faded rock art panel I was looking for for almost an entire year.

i-FB3qbX5-L.jpg

i-M6hPgCB-L.jpg

Due to the overcast skies I did not take a lot of pictures. It was definitely not enough for a full trip report.
Even with the not so perfect conditions I got a few really nice shots. I will be back soon and camp right on the slick rock of Yant.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
that was a perfect shot, very nice.

Do you know if this area is a bike destination also?

I wasn't sure if it qualifies for its own trip report due to the lack of text and just a few pictures.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I would say your pics say at least ten times that.

Very nice, Yvonne! The rock art is very cool as well. I found an arrowhead and some pottery pieces when I was there last year, so I'm not surprised there is rock art. Another thing to add to my ever-growing to-do list.

I wasn't sure if it qualifies for its own trip report due to the lack of text and just a few pictures.

Qualifications for a real trip report: pictures. a word or two. Done. ;) Back when we did giveaways for TR's (never again, BTW), it qualified if it had 5 photos and a paragraph. I'll take trip reports any way they come though, especially when they have such nice photos. It sucks that so many people on here do so many cool trips and we never see anything from them!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I would say your pics say at least ten times that.

I was surprised they came out that way. It didn't look very promising throughout the day but we were patient enough to wait it out.

Very nice, Yvonne! The rock art is very cool as well. I found an arrowhead and some pottery pieces when I was there last year, so I'm not surprised there is rock art. Another thing to add to my ever-growing to-do list.

you found them there? This is awesome!! I never found an arrowhead in my entire live. A lot of flint stones and some pottery, but not up there. I will keep my eyes open next time. I guess there is more rock art.
I found some rock art in an alcove on the other side of the wash. That's when you look from Yant across to the colored slick rock on the other side.

. It sucks that so many people on here do so many cool trips and we never see anything from them!

that was a direct hit. I know that I'm way behind with all my trip reports from last year. Hopefully I will find some time to post a few as I promised to do. ;)

Awesome Yvonne! I love all those pics except for one. ;)

Thanks for being my tour guide and introducing me to this awesome area. I can't wait to go back.

I like this shot you're referring to. And it was my pleasure to show you around a bit. Lot of great stuff out there and I can't wait for the next trip up there. :)

that was a direct hit. I know that I'm way behind with all my trip reports from last year. Hopefully I will find some time to post a few as I promised to do. ;)

Haha. I really didn't mean for it to be! There are a lot of people that don't post trips for various reasons. Definitely great to see more from you, but I promise I wasn't aiming that at you. ;)

that was a perfect shot, very nice.

Do you know if this area is a bike destination also?

I've never seen anyone in that particular place on a bike.
Around St. George are a lot of really awesome bike trails, but up there it's more of a hiking destination.

Beautiful shots. Great camp site.

it's my favorite spot to camp and so close to the Yant area. You can actually hike in to Yant from that camp area.

Haha. I really didn't mean for it to be! There are a lot of people that don't post trips for various reasons. Definitely great to see more from you, but I promise I wasn't aiming that at you. ;)

But I remember that I promised to post a few when we were camping near Goblin Valley.
Somehow it's easier to post the ones with less pictures.
I'm almost done with some other trips and will post a few pretty soon.

you found them there? This is awesome!! I never found an arrowhead in my entire live. A lot of flint stones and some pottery, but not up there. I will keep my eyes open next time. I guess there is more rock art.
I found some rock art in an alcove on the other side of the wash. That's when you look from Yant across to the colored slick rock on the other side.
I'll have to look into the rock art some more. I had no idea there was any there until I saw your trip report. I'm spending three days in St. George in a couple of weeks, but I don't know whether I'll make it to the Yant area. If not, a weekend trip later in March might be in the works. These are the points I found, apparently I didn't take a photo of the pottery pieces but they were plain gray and nothing special.

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

I'll have to look into the rock art some more. I had no idea there was any there until I saw your trip report. I'm spending three days in St. George in a couple of weeks, but I don't know whether I'll make it to the Yant area. If not, a weekend trip later in March might be in the works. These are the points I found, apparently I didn't take a photo of the pottery pieces but they were plain gray and nothing special.

way cool!! The second one looks like some stuff I found in a different area but not up there.
The entire area around St. George has so much Rock Art, I still try to figure out a few spots.
I knew about the panel at Yant for almost a year and was searching for it for months. It is so faded that you can hardly see it and I'm pretty sure I walked past it at least once or twice.

Great shots Yvonne! Hopefully the lighting and animals cooperate when you go to Yellowstone.

Outstanding Yvonne!
Beautiful lightshow.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 II LTE mit Tapatalk 4