Howdy

Wanderlust073

Been lurking a while. Found my way here via 'comments are disabled - go to bcp' on some of Joey Coconato's youtube vids. Great resource. Been combing through Winds posts to aid in planning a trip next summer.

Live in northern IL, have most of my life, drop a lot of $ to get to far more interesting places to spend my time... Looking to remedy the latter by being the 11,345,678th couple to migrate to Colorado in the next year or two, lol.

Thanks!

Welcome. I made the move to CO earlier this year and couldn't be happier

COS is on our short list ;) Last time we were out there we actually talked to a realtor and started hunting around a bit. Only obstacle is finding work for my wife in that area (I can work from anywhere with a net connection), and that may push us further towards Denver metro. Springs is definitely more 'us' though, in a lot of ways.

Come to t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ Utah!

Haha, we actually looked in to UT. Pretty much sold on CO at this point but serious question - everything we read and every anecdote we heard said if you aren't a member of the mormon church out there you're borderline social outcast. Seemed like it would make transplanting all the more difficult. Ring true in your experience?

Haha, we actually looked in to UT. Pretty much sold on CO at this point but serious question - everything we read and every anecdote we heard said if you aren't a member of the mormon church out there you're borderline social outcast. Seemed like it would make transplanting all the more difficult. Ring true in your experience?
I'd like to see others' answers to this question, but I do believe that the extent to which that happens is pretty exaggerated, especially closer to Salt Lake. You'd be more likely to experience it in Utah County. You'll find friendly, accepting people all over in Utah though.

Salt Lake is more or less the "eye of the hurricane". Within SLC, especially the northeast quadrant, you're more likely to be a social outcast if you don't shop at Whole Foods.

Outside of SLC, yes, you're probably going to be a distinct minority if you're not a Mormon.

Salt Lake is more or less the "eye of the hurricane". Within SLC, especially the northeast quadrant, you're more likely to be a social outcast if you don't shop at Whole Foods.

Outside of SLC, yes, you're probably going to be a distinct minority if you're not a Mormon.

Yeah, pretty much this. I moved downtown when I was 19 and never looked back.

You can get along just fine in the 'burbs if you aren't Mormon, but you won't be part of the neighborhood. Professionally, I don't think it matters too much, but I've heard other people say different. If you are someone that doesn't really care what your immediate neighbors think, it doesn't matter at all. There are plenty of people that are outdoor minded, and not focused on their religion too much. They just won't be the majority of your close neighbors.

I've thought of moving out of the city, but only to get closer to the canyon's. That 20 min drive can be tough! :giggle:

Front Range Colorado on the other hand, NO WAY. Try to drive i70 on any weekend, and you will know why. It's a circus.

Cool to see you on here Eric. Great resource.

I think both Colorado and Utah are awesome places to live, although different from each other.

As far as the religion thing goes in Utah, it isn't that bad, and I agree with everything already said above. As someone who is free spirited, not religious, and open minded about everything, i've had no problems living in Utah for over 12 years after migrating from the east coast. Salt Lake City is like a perfectly located central hub for the entire west coast and Rocky Mountain region. You can get to Canada, Mexico, California, Vegas, Yellowstone, and Colorado in a day. And the state itself is pretty freaking awesome outdoors wise.

All that being said though, I would probably choose Colorado over Utah if I had the network of friends there like I do in SLC.

I migrated from Montana to Davis County 9 years ago and I had similar expectations as being outcast. Fortunately, I've never been made to feel uneasy or unwelcome by the Mormon community I've interacted with. I live in a primarily lds neighborhood and consider myself friends with most of them. Our kids play outside together all the time, I've never been pushed to "come to a meeting at our ward" and I've even drank in front of a few of them. My coworkers are also very welcoming, you could always pinpoint one or two people but I think that has more to do with their social skills than shunning you for not being a member. When you learn a little more about someone, almost half the people you originally thought would be Mormon, turn out not to be. It's becoming more and more diverse.

Like already mentioned, the best thing about Utah is the bounty of outdoor recreation and how close you are to so so much. There is also a huge network of like minded outdoorsy people just like you!

I moved to Salt Lake from Detroit 40 years ago. It was strange at first. It's much different now than it was when I got here. I don't feel any sort of outcastness.

everything we read and every anecdote we heard said if you aren't a member of the mormon church out there you're borderline social outcast
I'd say at first they won't be entirely willing to be super great friends; however, they will not mind your presence as long as you do not mess with them. My dad and I kind of have a mutualistic relationship with neighbors and the like of just not minding each other. So it's not that bad, there might be a few bad eggs, but overall they like basically everyone.

What a crazy 6 weeks... Life gave us an unexpected opportunity, and 3 weeks from today we will be residents of Castle Rock, CO. Our 6 month base camp till my wife finds a job either in Denver area or Colorado Springs area and we know where we will be buying a new house.

Can't freaking wait to start living where I've only ever vacationed, lol.