Hammock gear quilts

jentzschman

Looking for a new UL spelling bag and have heard about the well known Zpacks but recently came to hear about Hammock Gear Burrow quilts.

For the price, the HG seems to be a very good value but was curious if anyone has any experience with them? One to the coolest feature of the HG is a snap toe box with a cinch closure that can be undone to create a complete blanket.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

You could also look at enlightened equipment. I've heard good things about all three vendors. I have a Zpacks bag and although it's very light and works well I think I would go with enlightened equipment if I had to do it over again.

You could also look at enlightened equipment. I've heard good things about all three vendors. I have a Zpacks bag and although it's very light and works well I think I would go with enlightened equipment if I had to do it over again.

Thank you for the recommendation, Looking into them.

Based on your use of the zpack, what makes you lean to the enlightened one over the zpack ?

Thank you for the recommendation, Looking into them.

Based on your use of the zpack, what makes you lean to the enlightened one over the zpack ?

Price, overall quality and customer service . My bag from zpacks took two months to arrive and while it's a nice bag, I've see the enlightened stuff and it's top notch.

That being said, Zpacks has a great reputation and my poor experience may have just had a fluke. One thing I would recommend is getting a bag that's a size longer than you think you'll need if you order from Zpacks, they run small.

I have a Hammock Gear Burrow and Incubator. Ten-degree on the top quilt and 20 on the under quilt. They are light individually compared to my 15-degree Big Agnes down bag. Cost is significantly higher for the quilt combo though.

I have a Hammock Gear Burrow and Incubator. Ten-degree on the top quilt and 20 on the under quilt. They are light individually compared to my 15-degree Big Agnes down bag. Cost is significantly higher for the quilt combo though.

For what it's worth, the folks on HammockForums.net generally rave about Hammock Gear's craftsmanship and quality of service. It's just a husband/wife team so delivery can be delayed during prime season, though they always deliver when promised. I own their "Standard" cuben fiber tarp and am very pleased with it. Good luck!

Edit: Here's a link to the Hammock Gear discussion section on HammockForums.net: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/92-Hammock-Gear

Last edited:
I have ben looking heavily into the Enlightened quilt, Hammock gear quilt, and the zpack quilt. For some reason I am leaning toward the enlightened revelation due to the versatility of the foot box design. I like the idea of the quilt being opened fully as a blanket. Yet, it review last on outdoor gear labs review... http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews

Im not use I will pull the trigger before a hike I have planned in September, but I am highly considering it. It is very difficult to spend that kind of money, use it (not be able to return it at that point) and potentially loose money on a sale.

So, the research continues. On another note, I received my ULA Circuit today!

I have a hammockgear top quilt and underquilt and am happy with both. I bring the top quilt instead of my sleeping bag when I'm tent camping in warm weather.

Im new around here but not new to the gear. I use a EQ Revelation now and have for about a year now. was turned onto the quilt thing on another website and haven't looked back. Spent a good 45 nights out in my EQ Rev Quilt and I have always been super happy with it. Recently I just got my wife into the quilts, she hates being restricted. So we found her a used Hammock Gear Burrow Quilt. She just had her first weekend out in it and shes sold now. Both quilts are great quality. I cant say a bad thing about either one. Tim at EQ is a great guy to deal with and makes an excellent product. But if price is a consideration then the Burrower quilt will definitely get the job done. I think the one thing that I like that EQ does that isnt done by the HG Quilt is the zipper in the foot box. HG Quilt only has snaps. Also the way EQ Baffles are setup runs the length of the quilt where as the HG Quilt runs straight across the quilt. Performance wise and in theory this helps keep the insulation over more of your body instead of falling to each side of your body. One piece of advice I can give about using quilts is your pad has to be great quality and insulated as youll only stay as warm as your pad will allow. I currently use an Exped Synmat and have a BA Qcore as a backup. Both are great and very well insulated. Good luck on your research. I am happy I made the switch and wouldnt go back to a Bag.