Guess the Spot (not where you think)

Jammer

❤2Hike
OK -- it's not my turn in Guess the Spot, but I REALLY wanted to post this one. This can be a one-off picture instead of a new thread. I just liked this picture because it's a VERY familiar spot, but I never would have guessed it (not my picture.) I realize it's difficult because it's such a CLOSE shot, but any guesses where this is:

WII_5.jpg

- Jamal

It is a SEM (scanning electron microscope) shot of the eye to eyelid interface on a bed bug.

Haha my first thought was finger nail, but it looked so worn and beat up that I thought it might be from one of your feet after one of your epic treks :)

Hey, we were right, or close to it. I love SEM photos. In a former life I used a SEM for investigations and did a bit of photomicrography. Here are some favorites (not my work). I did work on metals. These pics are animals under a SEM colorized to bring out details...

sem_1.jpg

sem_2.jpg

sem_3.jpg

sem_4.jpg

Hey, we were right, or close to it. I love SEM photos. In a former life I used a SEM for investigations and did a bit of photomicrography. Here are some favorites (not my work). I did work on metals. These pics are animals under a SEM colorized to bring out details...

Really!!! That's what I currently do. Actually most of my research has been in TEM but have done a fair amount of SEM including cryo-SEM. Our lab was the first to take images of snowflakes in an SEM. Right now I have to go look at some Salmonella.

http://emu.arsusda.gov/snowsite/

Balto,

The snow crystal SEM photomicrographs... That's you ?!?! They are great. I love the crystalography they display. Makes my metals work look simplistic. I am an engineer and hired a SEM lab to help me with forensics on failure causes in adhesive bonding in the construction of gyroscopes and lasers for inertial navigation systems. Most of my optical photomicrography was for similar reasons. I always admired the people that were able to do SEM work on objects (snowflakes) that required keeping the object of interest in much lower than room temperatures. Must be a pain in the @#@#@. Have you done any scanning tunneling microscopy? Maybe that is what you mean by TEM. I will be sure to chase down some of your work through the link you provided. Thanks!

BTW give us a pic of a salmonella bacteria in your "chamber".. (hands wringing)

@ Art: Salmonella was negatively stained, looks like a black sperm. Not very exciting. The snow pictures I linked were from our lab but not my images. A former scientist was our snow guru, Eric Erbe. Google his name, USDA microscopy and snow for other images. He was probably the best cryo-microscopist ever.
No scanning tunneling for me. TEM means Transmission Electron Microscopy. Fixed biological tissue, ultra thin section it, stain it then view on a TEM. All of my projects are biological. Too many to mention but if it affects our agriculture products then I am looking at it. The parasites are by far the coolest to investigate. I am lucky to have such an interesting job. Now if I can do this part time and play more all would be golden.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Outdoor_Fool The value of the various Guess the Spot threads General Discussion 6
wsp_scott NYTimes article: Guess the spot saves someone's life General Discussion 1
C Guess the Spot: somewhere in Southern Utah General Discussion 4
JDWalters Guess the Spot: Eastern US Edition General Discussion 515
LarryBoy Guess the Spot: Trip Reports Edition Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom Guess the Spot--DIY version General Discussion 33
Ben Guess the spot: Utah Edition General Discussion 6309
Artemus Guess the Spot: International Edition General Discussion 283
Backcountry Post Guess the spot: Maps Edition General Discussion 4670
Backcountry Post Guess the spot General Discussion 7683
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
Jammer Havasu Falls Extra Spot General Discussion 3
Nick Spot X Gear 27
SKLund Sticking with SPOT Gear 0
Ross Unofficial Where’s The Spot General Discussion 0
Perry Good Deal on a Spot Gen 3 Gear 5
Jammer Spot/InReach for May? Trip Planning 7
Bridgette Good camping spot in the Uintas with 4WD Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Spot Tracker Rental? Trip Planning 1
uintahiker The bloodiest spot in Arizona Hiking & Camping 0
Jammer InReach vs Spot Messenger 2013 Gear 32
wnorton Do you use Spot Connect or DeLorme InReach? Gear 6
Nurrgle Good car camping spot in the Uintas General Discussion 9
Nick SPOT Connect Gear 2
C WHERE TO GO IN MARCH? Trip Planning 2
P Packing your pack, what goes where? General Discussion 16
gnwatts Not sure where this is. General Discussion 8
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
regehr Dude Where's My Arch Hiking & Camping 8
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
balzaccom Bear Canister...where does it go? Trip Planning 19
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
TrektheWorld Where should I go this weekend? Trip Planning 7
Titans Matt took his trailer where? General Discussion 6
o2bav8 Where ever the wind blows Hiking & Camping 19
Miya International Backpacking: Where to Store my Junk? Trip Planning 11
mathew suggestions on where to go Trip Planning 1
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
F Any where good? (in Texas) Trip Planning 4
Perry Dumb Question of the Day: Where is the northern gate on the Mirror Lake highway General Discussion 4
Perry Where's my trip report? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Dustin Gent where to go? 4 days Trip Planning 11
Jammer Where is this Arch? General Discussion 4
Jammer Where is it -- TV/Movie Edition General Discussion 13
Kullaberg63 Anyone know where this petroglyph is located? General Discussion 5
Bigred72 Prints and framing-Where to? Photography 3
Tye Dye Twins Where to Post Backcountry skiing stuff? Questions, Suggestions & Support 8
12trysomething VIDEO: Meandering Down The NPT...UhOh Where Are My Keys? Backpacking 1