Gros Ventre Loop July 2016

ramblinman

My good friend Tony and I wanted to get away to Wyoming this Summer, and we decided to go someplace in the Winds. Our schedules required a trip in mid-July, so we settled on the Gros Ventre Wilderness after reading about it on here and in Douglas Lorraine's book. The Gros Ventre is beyond words, full of alpine lakes, beautiful rock, and rolling meadows. It's also incredibly isolated. The weather was perfect, although constant dry heat and little moisture makes for prime fire conditions as we would soon discover.

Our plan was to do 6 nights starting from the Granite Creek trailhead, going counterclockwise on the loop from Shoal Creek to the Gros Ventre River, with a side trip into the 6 Lakes Basin (or at least the North side of Black peak). We spent the night at Granite Hot Springs Campground, where we met some nice Wyomingites who were happy to share their Elk tacos with us.

There was only one other car at the trailhead when we arrived, a sign of how seldom used this place is. Another car arrived as we were leaving; two day hikers with three dogs and one rather large gun, for bear I guess. The rest of the trip we would only see two other hikers, but more on that later.

The destination for the first day was Shoal Lake. We would hike down into the Shoal Creek drainage from the trailhead before following the creek up to Shoal Lake. Nothing too difficult about this hike, just 3,000 feet of elevation gain spread out over 10 or 11 miles.

wIuvUAh.jpg

The trailhead

ZWLjcI0.jpg

Shoal Falls

dSuswNn.jpg

As we approached Shoal Lake we roused a bald eagle, who circled overhead for a few minutes trying to get a better look at us.

hw2g8f3.jpg

QrfInYk.jpg

Shoal Lake. Note the ripples on the water from the many trout.

H7W93hJ.jpg

Shoal Lake the next morning. You can see the trail in the middle of the image.

The next morning we got up early to hike to Brewster Lake. We would follow the trail up to the pass, and then depart from the trail to contour around Steamboat peak and up to the pass between Palmer and Darwin peaks. This section was straightforward, and we were treated to views of a large meadow where we noticed an enourmous herd of Elk (or mule deer?). There were probably 70 total, and we sat and watched them move across the valley for a bit.

fVDEYEY.jpg

Note the Elk at the left 1/4, on the ridge above the stream in the valley. Many more were below the ridge

The final section of the hike required a short but tricky scramble up a break in the cliffs between Darwin and Doubletop peaks. This section was quite exposed and I was slightly hesitant before going up, but the climb itself wasn't too bad. In fact, it was easier going than the very loose talus we negotiated en route to the break in the cliffs.

7Ev3jaH.jpg

Shot of the break in the cliffs from above. We went up the snow free area below, and climbed up the middle of the three openings.

Happy to be on top, we relaxed and enjoyed our view of Brewster Lake

TPeI2jj.jpg

Brewster Lake

lOTVALB.jpg

Morning at Brewster Lake

GfVeGke.jpg

Clear water never ceases to amaze me

7ccwI73.jpg

Triangle Peak juts out of the water

We planned to spend our third day hiking back up to the pass between Darwin and Doubletop and enjoy a restful day. We hiked up following the main stream that feeds the lake and a series of two other lakes. Eventually we were forced to retreat to the lake by an incoming thunderstorm, a brief inconvenience, or so we thought at the time.

JnkOLED.jpg

Wildflowers above the lake

TF3ECJF.jpg

The large glacier which feeds the 3rd and smallest lake.

RK0XseD.jpg

Cliffs in front of Doubletop

KOTZcKZ.jpg

Overlooking the West Dell Creek area. This is likely the storm the started a large wildfire.

XpriJVu.jpg

Looking Southwest between Triangle and Doubletop. The Winds are on the horizon

Upon returning to camp, we smelled smoke. I looked around and didn't see another campsite, but I assumed that someone was nearby and didn't think much else of it. All the while the weather returned to normal, except for a large but non-threatening gray cloud. Well we eventually realized that we were not looking at a cloud, but a large plume of smoke coming over the ridge Southwest of the lake. We eventually decided to pack our things up and retreat to an area farther away, as the smoke was getting very thick.

zctzsh4.jpg

Triangle peak smoked out

We figured that we weren't in immediate danger, but the growing smoke with flashes of orange and pink had filled the sky and was rather ominous. We packed out at about 6pm, and hiked down Grizzly basin where we met the only two other people we'd see in the backcountry. After a quick chat about the fire, their plans, and location of the trail through the marsh, we left and crossed the Gros Ventre River. Over the next hour we continued until darkness set and we stopped to set up camp at 10pm.

The next morning we awoke to the sound of Elk (or Mule Deer?) and no smoke in the sky. We weren't sure at that point if we were going to hike all the way out or not, but either way we had to go up the Gros Ventre and begin making our way down Swift Creek.

R9pEPyn.jpg

Meadows along the Gros Ventre

awOxrVh.jpg

The trail more or less follows the stream. The forest service has installed 4 large poles to use as cairns in one especially marshy area. Southwest ridge of Black peak on the right.

Wxi814r.jpg

Closer to the pass, looking Southwest. Steamboat peak is on the right.

2y8LDyB.jpg

One of the streams that forms the Gros Ventre

As we made our way closer to the pass, the smoke returned. Unfortunately visibility at the pass was non-existent, and we'd have to wait to see the Tetons. We soon made it to the East ridge of Antoninette peak and began descending the Swift Creek trail. Here we were treated to a nice view down into the Granite Creek Valley, where we finally saw the location of the fire. We were thrilled to see that the fire was a ridge or two from our destination, and we made our way down under a sky half clear and half-filled with smoke.

6RbXzkd.jpg

First views of fire

p08KXQn.jpg

Granite Creek and road are on the right.

iPhsjd1.jpg

Orange light at 2pm. Due to smoke, we had dark orange sunlight almost dusk-like

CMNQnSa.jpg

View near Trailhead on the Swift Creek side

We later learned that the fire had been started by a lightning strike on the other side of the highway near Cliff Creek, and fueled by the wind it managed quickly spread into the Shoal Creek/Deer Ridge area. Our trip had been cut short, but we still managed to hike the entire route. We spent the next few days exploring the forests around Yellowstone, including the wonderful Shoshone, where we had a fine hike down into the Clark's Fork near Dead Indian Creek. That area reminded me a bit of Southern Utah, and Tony even claimed to see a Juniper there. Overall a fantastic trip--the Gros Ventre is a true hidden gem.

Bonus: smoky tetons

LcQDnAR.jpg

r3wbv5h.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Nice trip! Thanks for posting.

Cool fire shots, it must be a bit freaky to be in the backcountry with fire near, but not knowing exactly where.

Great report. I walked in with @scatman, @Joey and @Ben on their long backpack on essentially the same route last year. I split with them at the pass and traversed over to Antoinette and then down Swift Creek solo the next day. Had a peregrine falcon buzz me at camp going over 100 mph that evening up high while it hunted mountain bluebirds. Sadly, I've been following this Cliff Fire because it impacts my impending Winds trip and because, as it turns out, they set a backfire to stop it's northern progress and essentially burned out this whole area (trailhead, Steep Creek, Shoal Lake, etc) to stop the fire. You can follow it's progress at the inciweb site below and see it inching up to Shoal Lake. All this area is inside the perimeter but it may not all be burned. There will be pockets of unburned ground.

Glad you got in and out before this tragedy.
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4865/

Gros Ventre Swift Creek Divide  Approach.jpg

Swift creek is one of my favorite dayhikes.

The Cliff Creek Fire is now just under 30,000 acres with a new containment date of September 30th. Firefighters have done a magnificent job but Shoal Creek burned BAD.

Thanks for sharing. I've been meaning to get bak to Six Lakes via JAgg and Cow Creeks.

Thanks @Artemus. Sorry to hear about your trip. Luckily there's a lot of fine places to hike in this area :D

Did the Shoal Lake are burn? It looks like most of upper Shoal creek is fine from the map.

Thanks @Artemus. Sorry to hear about your trip. Luckily there's a lot of fine places to hike in this area :D

Did the Shoal Lake are burn? It looks like most of upper Shoal creek is fine from the map.
No problem. Looks like the fire is now mostly contained and the smoke is minimal. Trip is back on. I think the actual Shoal Lake area did not get affected. The lower drainage however...

Thank you for sharing! This is an area that i've wanted to spend some time in, just haven't ever done it. We go every year to the Greys River which is fairly close, in the Wyoming Range. We came home the day the fire had started after spending the day in Jackson. Now I have more motivation to spend some weekends in the Gros Ventre!