GPS

I also prefer a dedicated GPS unit for these same reasons.

I personally would go with a dedicated GPS unit, as they are water/shock proof (more durable), better battery life (run on AA batteries) and better service (GLONASS receiver - connects to Russian satellites as well!), but I have friends that use their phones as GPS, but they are on trails :)

I've used my Garmin 60CSx for years. They're great but the software, maps, and display just haven't kept up. Over the last year or two, I've started using my phone more and more - a Samsung S5. It has GNSS, so it receives GLONASS. I used it to track a three day backpack this last weekend. At the end, it was still at 40% power. I just carry a second battery to replace it if necessary but usually don't use it except for long trips. The battery is small and there's no need to mess with the hassles of solar.

I have been exclusively using my GS5 as my sole GPS lately and have been loving it. I love the resolution of the Topo maps that I have cashed, and the ability to switch between different maps (USGS Topo, Forest Service Topo, and Satellite Imagery layers) is super awesome, not to mention FREE! (well the app did cost $10 I guess)

I do agree with the power managment issues though. A phone, used as a GPS with tracking turned on, lasts about a day. And if you are using the phone for video and pictures, it consumes lots of power and the battery goes very quick. I have been carrying my GoalZero solar pannel and Guide 10 battery pack, as well as a spare phone battery (w/ separate charger so it can be charging while the other one is in use)

hmm, i have a Galaxy Note S4, didn't realize that they have the ability to connect to all the satellites. I am still going to get a GPS though... I've been in situations where even a GPS is not helpful.... not fun

For the phone users, what app are you using? I had the backpacker app but it wasn't very intuative.

I recently picked up Gaia, and really digging. The price has fallen quite a bit; plus, they offer monthly pro account. Combine with printed CalTopo quads and downloaded map makes for a handy tool.

Power was one of the big reasons we chose the Garmin Legend C. Two alkaline AA batteries last 36 hours, far longer than the other units at that time.

Nice! Im still using Legend H.

The mapping interface on my eTrex 30 is so obviously inferior on all points to the iPhone. Garmin will have to incorporate some radical upgrades in future models to remain a contender. Just look at all the users carrying hefty power packs and solar panels to be able to enjoy their phone based GPS.

The mapping interface on my eTrex 30 is so obviously inferior on all points to the iPhone. Garmin will have to incorporate some radical upgrades in future models to remain a contender. Just look at all the users carrying hefty power packs and solar panels to be able to enjoy their phone based GPS.

Solar pannels allow for me to use my phone for more than just GPS. I have a way to charge my SPOT, headlamp batteries, GoPro, and Phone ;) It either a solar pannel OR a bazzilion extra batteries