slc_dan

Desert Rat-Weekend Warrior
GoLite Malpais Rain Jacket Review
5-star.png
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Retail: $250 (Comparable)
Price: $124.95 direct from GoLite

golite-malpais-review-3.jpg

Before heading out on a 6 day journey through the Wind Rivers, @Nick sent me an email. "I've got a gear review opportunity for you, what size do you wear?" Medium, I quickly wrote back. As we loaded up the truck he threw a sweet new rain jacket at me. Nice! "Just write an honest review for it, and it's yours" Nick said. Here it is.

With my equivalent of a two year old's spanish skills, Malpais roughly translates to bad country, or bad lands. Perhaps the jacket is designed so that you are comfortable in bad places. Weighing in at a mere 7oz this product embodies what GoLite is shooting for. The medium fits perfect. It features long tapered arms, a snug hood, and slim torso. I’m an average 5’11”, 170lb guy, so size accordingly for yourself.

I’ve taken this jacket on two trips now. 6 days in the majestic Wind River Range, and a quick overnighter up to Ibantik Lake in the Uintas. On both outings, the Malpais was a necessity. Upon first holding the jacket, the lightness has a tendency for feeling cheap. Don’t make this mistake like I did. It stood up to some really tough weather without missing a beat. There is a bill in the hood, when folded up it is the tightest I need the hood to be.

There are no “pit zippers” on the Malpais, and although upon inspection I wished they were there, I never craved them on either trip. On my old rain jacket, I always expected them to cool me off more than they did. These type of extras are often cut out on ultra lightweight gear. I certainly didn’t miss them. In fact, it is more breathable than my other rain jacket, so condensation doesn’t build up on the inside.

Combined with a wool sweater, or a down coat the Malpais works as an excellent shell. On my trip up to Ibantik in the Uintas I was unexpectedly snowed on. Wearing the Malpais underneath the GoLite Poncho has become my go to when facing weather. This combination is excellent for intermittent storms. If I was expecting to hike through bad weather often, I would consider changing the poncho in for some rain pants, and a pack cover. The poncho does have a tendency to get blown by the wind.

Pros:
  • Extremely lightweight, at only 7oz. It can be rolled up, and packed up easily
  • Fitted cut keeps the jacket tight and the rain out
  • Completely waterproof, I didn’t get wet on my base layer anytime I had it on even in severe downpours
  • Use as a lightweight shell provides many options
  • Very Breathable
  • Feels solid after two good outings
Cons:
  • Fitted cut might not be as good for bigger people
Some photos of the Malpais in action:

Hiding from lightning near Elbow Lake
golite-malpais-review-1.jpg

SNOW!
GoLite Model 2 sm.jpg

golite-malpais-review-2.jpg

Hanging out in Taylor's Magic Circus Tent
GoLite Model 3 sm (1).jpg

golite-malpais-review-4.jpg

Here are a few detail shots to give an idea of the build quality which is very good:
Draw String Bottom.jpgInside Stitching 2.jpgInside Stitching.jpgOutside Detail + Zipper.jpgPocket Detail_.jpgSleeve Detail_.jpg

Photos by @slc_dan and @Nick

Nice review! I am super jealous they didn't have my size!!! That looks like such a sweet jacket. Too bad it's completely out of stock now but GoLite tells me it will be back in the spring.

Nice review! I am super jealous they didn't have my size!!! That looks like such a sweet jacket. Too bad it's completely out of stock now but GoLite tells me it will be back in the spring.

Yeah, even for winter, it works great as a shell. It got down in the low 30's on my last outing, and held my down tight to keep me warmer.

I seriously considered one of these but was put off by the sleeve closures. What's your opinion of the hook-and-loop?

@ashergrey: I have the Marmot Mica with similar wrist closures. They are fine. They allow me to adjust; roll up my sleeves when rain slows/stops so I can vent or tighten when the rain/wind become an issue. I like my Mica but it is not 100% waterproof. Well, it wets through at times. So not bomber. Not certain if it is rain coming in or sweat not venting. I am in the humid east where we(cyclist) feel it is either going to be warm sweat or cold rain...take your pick. I have yet to find a great rain jacket while doing high aerobic activities.

@slc_dan :Why wear a poncho if the jacket is waterproof? leg protection? Also, if you run, cycle or do some high aerobic activity in rain could you please wear the jacket and report back. Thanks

I seriously considered one of these but was put off by the sleeve closures. What's your opinion of the hook-and-loop?

The jacket fits me so well, I've never had to use them. It is a nice velcro though. I'm sure they would work just great.

@slc_dan :Why wear a poncho if the jacket is waterproof? leg protection? Also, if you run, cycle or do some high aerobic activity in rain could you please wear the jacket and report back. Thanks

I wear the poncho mostly to protect my backpack, but it does cover my legs down to about my knees.

I did go at quite the trot while it was snowing hiking up hill above the Notch. The jacket fits well enough that snow never never entered anywhere. It's also much more breathable than a cheaper rain jacket I have. I didn't notice nearly the condensation that I did with my other. Next time it rains hard (only about 10-12 inches of rain a year down in the valley here), I'll try it out.

I saw them in stock in the GoLite
Lehi store a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth checking there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The jacket fits me so well, I've never had to use them. It is a nice velcro though. I'm sure they would work just great.

I wear the poncho mostly to protect my backpack, but it does cover my legs down to about my knees.

I did go at quite the trot while it was snowing hiking up hill above the Notch. The jacket fits well enough that snow never never entered anywhere. It's also much more breathable than a cheaper rain jacket I have. I didn't notice nearly the condensation that I did with my other. Next time it rains hard (only about 10-12 inches of rain a year down in the valley here), I'll try it out.

Backpack, makes sense, duh. You probably worked up a good enough sweat to test it out. I think my problems tend to be using it(Mica) in a very humid environment. When RH outside the jacket is higher(95%RH) then RH inside the jacket how can the moisture pass through. Goes against physics. I always find my Mica works well in wet winters Less RH. Thanks for replying