Gold fever...

Deadeye008

Hambone
I've had these guys on my radar for a while but had started to believe they were just a mythical creature. I went up to the uintas with uintahiker and another buddy to try our luck at this elusive fish. It was a beautiful day up there. A little windy ay times but very nice overall. When we first arrived at the lake we made our way around the lake looking for that Golden spot and catching a few Brookies along the way. I was using my fly rod and had hooked up with 4 or 5 little Brookies in our jaunt around the small lake. On about my 6th or 7th fish I struck gold! I couldn't believe my eyes at first. It was a brilliant specimen. All colored up in it's spawning getup. I netted the fish and went to get my camera out when I realized I had left my camera in my backpack that I had dropped off over by all of our other gear! Crap! I made sure the fish was secure in the net and in sufficient water for it to breathe and took off running to get my backpack. When I returned to the fish with my camera I found all was well and proceeded to take a bunch of pictures. The fish was released and I finally started to feel my heart stop pounding from the adrenaline rush I had just experienced. Being still early in the day I thought I might have a chance at catching another but it was not to be. We ended up catching a bunch of very small Brookies the rest of the time and cooked a bunch up right on the lake shore. uintahiker showed me how to prepare and cook them in a way I had not tried before. They were delicious! Doesn't get much better than eating fresh caught, pan fried fish on the shore of a beautiful high alpine lake. Two of the fish we caught were what I am calling grayscale Brook Trout. I have never seen fish like them before. They were Brook Trout but without the color. Only blacks and whites. I have now caught every species/sub-species of trout in Utah. To top things off, my buddy and I stopped off on the Weber just as it was getting dark to try our luck. Within a few minutes I had on a nice fish. It ended up being a fat Brown of about 18". After that I put my rod away and figured my day couldn't get any better. A fitting end to a great day! Here are some pictures.

IMG_5567.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Grayscale Brookie by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Rare and Elusive Utah Golden Trout by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Rare Utah Golden Trout by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Weber fatty by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Had a great time. Still kicking myself over the two I missed. At least one of us got the golden off the bucket list! I'm thinking we should have kept more of those brookies to fry up too- YUM!

They were delicious! Definitely gonna do that next time I go up there. Was it garlic powder or garlic salt you put on them?

Looks like a couple of beauties. I wish I had a pallet for fish or anything out of the water (I don't), but I want to learn the skill in the chance that I DO need it.

Looks like a couple of beauties. I wish I had a pallet for fish or anything out of the water (I don't), but I want to learn the skill in the chance that I DO need it.

I'm betting you would have liked the little Brookies we cooked up lakeside. The way that uintahiker prepared them, they didn't taste fishy at all. Ive found that with fish, it's all about the preparation.

Awesome golden!