Glassy on the Colorado (with some occasional wind)

gnwatts

I0000ps_HTE5lZhY.jpg

I have made it a habit venturing down this section of the Colorado (this is the third year) mostly by myself, as the jet boat guys come by a couple of times a day, from Potash to the Confluence. So consequently I spend a lot of time in near deafening silence, with the occasional bird or wind gust. This trip was cut short unfortunately, work related issues meant I had only 2 full days, so I just decided to take my time and let things happen. After about 4 hours of floating, about 1 pm, I found this beautiful little beach about 20' long under an overhang, where I proceeded to take a nap, as it was by my thermometer 103. But it felt pretty good. So anyway I get rudely interrupted (similar to a trip a few years ago) mid nap by 3 unwelcome yet very nice NPS personnel floating about 10' below me next to my tied up canoe. It took me a few seconds to figure out where I was, who these people were etc. I explained my situation to them, and the main ranger said take your time. He said he could see most of my required stuff, one ranger asked if my name was Greg (this was a quiz!) I replied that it was. I asked him if he wanted to see my permit and thank god he said no, because it was too frickin hot to get up and go down there. Then they left.

I0000Zb5NYTRETSM.jpg

Later that night from my camp spot across from Musselman Canyon:

I00000wM.GO8WPZU.jpg

I000094IjANbca_k.jpg

I0000ifyjgFAreJQ.jpg

Back on the water that morning:

I0000zsUGg6kaKHo.jpg

I00002qi9cH49jrM.jpg

I0000lCU6ye10T.0.jpg

I00008MRTEBMVHrk.jpg

I0000_52dBsI.84c.jpg

From my camp spot, around mile 14 (I think), I wasn't really paying attention at this point, it was so beautiful and hot and all I wanted to do was get my shade sail up. I did not mention it from the last camp spot, but it is exceedingly difficult to put up by yourself, at least for me. I was lucky the first day as the wind was not so bad, but today was a little windier. I finally got the thing up, with some rocks i searched far and wide for. I decided to take a swim, as the water was about 68 degrees, heaven. So I am sitting in the water, drinking a beer and I see this dust devil tornado about 5' wide heading for my tent WHAMO! all my stuff is thrown in the air. I just looked at it and took it all in. At least it was a big beach.

I0000_Rvj2Nr8GMI.jpg

I00001C7dnw5Jil8.jpg

I0000tZbpI1jjqo4.jpg

I0000ws6Xk4JoFxI.jpg

I0000SEi2SPNLlCY.jpg

I0000.fCx9AqbNCQ.jpg

I0000zizlcM86H0k.jpg

I had a leisurely morning, preparing to get picked up by the jet boat. I saw no one other than two people in a canoe about 2 hours before I was picked up.
Thanks for looking.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
I really want to float this section soon. Although nap-busting NPS rangers is definitely not cool! Love the story about the dust devil. I can totally picture how that went down. Whaddya do, eh? :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
b.stark Colorado Plateau bumming Meet Up (Members Only) 0
labinc98 Greetings from Southern Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
futurafree Colorado and LCR turbidity time Trip Planning 1
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 6
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
westy Colorado Plateau spring Hiking & Camping 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
gnwatts Butt cold on the Colorado On The Water 11
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
futurafree Green vs. Colorado Rivers above confluence Trip Planning 5
futurafree Colorado off-trail ideas? Trip Planning 8
Harrison1991 Colorado climbing Meet Up (Members Only) 2
J Scrambles in the Lower Colorado River Corridor AZ/NV; Dec. 11-14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 5
Gimmy Hello from Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
piper01 fall foliage in Colorado late September Trip Planning 6
W Little Colorado shuttle / transport Trip Planning 7
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
powderglut NW Colorado Snow conditions General Discussion 16
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
Nohmichel Colorado Backpacking in October 7-12 2019 Trip Planning 8
Shirt357 Colorado or Oregon? General Discussion 25
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
D Hello from Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
TrektheWorld Booth Lake Basin - Gore Range, Colorado Backpacking 7
DuneElliot Colorado Trail Section Hike, June 2018 Backpacking 9
stevecochranephotography Blue Lakes Trail... Southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness Hiking & Camping 9
stevecochranephotography Notch Mountain Trail - Mount of the Holy Cross and Shelter - Minturn, Colorado Hiking & Camping 4
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
Janice Recommendations for Colorado Backpack? Backpacking 25
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
stevecochranephotography Storm King Mountain Memorial Trail... Glenwood Springs, Colorado Hiking & Camping 6
O Greetings from a Colorado Noob. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
AbinadiWitness Colorado Adventure 2016: To the Grenadiers! Backpacking 9
gnwatts Mosey down the Colorado On The Water 5
Perry Wow! Another Impressive Feat: Man Climbs Colorado's 100 Highest Peaks. Nonstop General Discussion 2
Rockskipper Colorado Sand Dunes General Discussion 0
Rockskipper Wanna buy a Colorado 14er? General Discussion 13
Rockskipper Howdy from W. Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
b.stark Colorado Springs area Trip Planning 12
tomcat32 Rattlesnake Arches- Fruita, Colorado Hiking & Camping 3