Gear Lust - What's on your 2012 Holidays Wish List?

My 5DII stopped working this morning....6D is now on the way....forced me into buying it a little earlier than I had anticipated. I'll probably get the 5DII repaired or replaced as a backup.

another tent for me. My 3 person EMS Sugarshack 3 is way too big, I used it for my car camping trips and need something smaller.
It should be something between my EMS Velocity 1 and my Marmot Grid2
Any recommendations?

Titanium Cookset for my backpacking trips

helmet for canyoneering (I've planned to take a class next Spring and hopefully can use the learned skills next season)

a pair of good bike pants

Camera wise:

waterproof housing for my Canon S100
a good tripod

My 5DII stopped working this morning....6D is now on the way....forced me into buying it a little earlier than I had anticipated. I'll probably get the 5DII repaired or replaced as a backup.
what happened? shutter failure?

what happened? shutter failure?

It will still turn on and off and the round dials still work, but none of the buttons will work. I cannot change settings, view files, access the menus, etc... I have tried different lenses, batteries, memory cards, leaving it set for a while with no battery to reset it.

For the very brief time I had a 5d II, I had one moment where I thought I had destroyed it. It turned out there was a piece of sand in one of the buttons that was just ever so slightly pushing it to the side, making it so that none of the buttons worked. Might be worth checking. I was able to blow it out to get it working again.

I received my 6D on Saturday. First impressions are great. I really like the camera ergonomically. Haven't used it a whole lot yet but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. I've got a couple of weddings this month to shoot so I'll post a review after that. I bought the kit that came with the 24-105 4L and really like the 24-105 as a walk around lens so far.

For camera gear I would like jump on the singh-ray bandwagon and pick up a LB warming polarizer, blue and gold filter, and maybe a few grads. I also wouldn't mind a Canon 70-200 and a used 15mm f2.8 fisheye. I'm pretty much good on camping gear but I could see the need for a second ultra light 3/4man tent to use when backpacking with the kids during the upcoming year. Oh and trekking poles... I'm overdue for a new pair.

It will still turn on and off and the round dials still work, but none of the buttons will work. I cannot change settings, view files, access the menus, etc... I have tried different lenses, batteries, memory cards, leaving it set for a while with no battery to reset it.

Bummer... My 60D had similar symptoms, ended up getting a board replaced under warranty.

- DAA

My wish for this year is two 12"+ powder days a week, until mid March.
C'mon ULLR!!!

My mother in law asked me to pick something out this year, so I gifted myself an Exped SynMat UL 7. Can't wait to use it!
ecblank.gif

Mine was a GoPro... my wife told me to go buy the one I wanted so I did :)

I played with some Western Mountaineering bags today in a store in Moscow, ID. Holy cow...those looked nice. I'm afraid my wish list just gained a new item. I'm already thinking of replacing my GoPro with one of the new ones, and I'm definitely going to get a new mirrorless camera.

I'm going to need to save my pennies.

I absolutely love my Western Mountaineering bag...great stuff!
After 12 bags of experience, some if it negative, my wife and I will only buy a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends down sleeping bag. Handmade, and in America. My oldest one is 20 and may last the rest of my life. Camping is NO fun when you are cold.

And expensive! I'd like to ask them to sew on little loops so I could strap the bag to my pad, but I don't know if they would...I like not getting wound up in my Big Agnes bag.
Both companies almost certainly would help you out. I even sent my eccentric and unique Feathered Friends Rock Wren back and they carefully undid all the baffles and added a well distributed, extra 1 lb. of down for me. A little company and a little eccentric, but eccentric is good!

This Wren remains my go-to mountaineering and backpacking bag.