Floating Smith River in Montana

I did a superficial search on the Jefferson and I got the impression that it could work as a multi day trip.

http://www.jeffersonriver.org/floating_the_jefferson.htm

Based on your personal experience is that a misunderstanding on my part?

Thanks
Here is an idea of the type of scenery along the Jeff. This is the Twin to Silver Star Section. Photo taken from Hell's Canyon.
1560755_703983316305514_578835414710227953_n2_zpsv0qojmt0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I did a superficial search on the Jefferson and I got the impression that it could work as a multi day trip.

http://www.jeffersonriver.org/floating_the_jefferson.htm

Based on your personal experience is that a misunderstanding on my part?

Thanks

Here is an idea of the type of scenery found along the Jeff. This is the Twin Bridges to Silver Star section, photo taken from Hells Canyon. Those are the Tobacco Root mountains in the distance.

1560755_703983316305514_578835414710227953_n2_zpsv0qojmt0.jpg

I grew up day floating the Blackfoot and Bitteroot rivers but it's been so long I'm probably not much help. The Blackfoot we used our big family raft on because it had more rocks and rapids and the Bitteroot was a very lazy 3 hour tube ride on the section we did right out of Missoula. I'll be putting in for Smith river permits this year as well!

The Blackfoot we used our big family raft on because it had more rocks and rapids

I was just watching some Blackfoot videos on youtube - it looks like it could be an alternative if the Smith permits don't pan out.

BigSkyFishing.com says it's 110 miles long, which suggests it may be possible to do a multi day trip on.

What do you think of the Blackfoot as a potential 4-6 day float trip?

Thanks!

I was just watching some Blackfoot videos on youtube - it looks like it could be an alternative if the Smith permits don't pan out.

BigSkyFishing.com says it's 110 miles long, which suggests it may be possible to do a multi day trip on.

What do you think of the Blackfoot as a potential 4-6 day float trip?

Thanks!

ooh I would love that! those pictures are amazing I am missing home lately

Does anyone have experience floating the Smith River in Montana?

It looks like just the float trip I'm looking for.

It sounds like the it may be tough getting a permit, but the trip itself sounds
awesome.

Here's the site of one of the local outfitters.

Thanks

I floated it middle of July this year. It was wonderful, although fishing was bad. By this time of year the water was low, super warm and full of algae. We floated single man pontoon boats, and the only time we had to "drag" was when someone didn't read the river right and it was less then 10 ft. For the food storage we used 3 UrSacks and 1 bear can. We are already planning for next years trip!

I live in the Bitterroot Valley, and while the Bitterroot is a blue ribbon fishing stream, if your after a multi day trip this isn't your river. While you could go multi days, you have to take off the river and stay in a hotel or at one of the many outfitter lodges. There's only 1 campground right at the confluence.

Why not float the Wild and Scenic Missouri River here in Montana...Three options from 42 miles to the entire 150 miles..

I have done the Smith in May..2 nights on the river...Cold and windy..Dress very warm if you go...And there are definitely bears..

Why not float the Wild and Scenic Missouri River here in Montana...Three options from 42 miles to the entire 150 miles..

I have done the Smith in May..2 nights on the river...Cold and windy..Dress very warm if you go...And there are definitely bears..

I've looked into the Missouri and its not off the table yet. Do you have some sources you can point me to - maps, images/videos, and off river sites & activities? The only images I've found are all the same stretch of the White Cliffs area. Maybe I haven't searched hard enough, but I just haven't found any substantial info so if you can point me to any sources that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I floated it middle of July this year. It was wonderful, although fishing was bad. By this time of year the water was low, super warm and full of algae. We floated single man pontoon boats, and the only time we had to "drag" was when someone didn't read the river right and it was less then 10 ft. For the food storage we used 3 UrSacks and 1 bear can. We are already planning for next years trip!

I live in the Bitterroot Valley, and while the Bitterroot is a blue ribbon fishing stream, if your after a multi day trip this isn't your river. While you could go multi days, you have to take off the river and stay in a hotel or at one of the many outfitter lodges. There's only 1 campground right at the confluence.
Good to know. Thanks!

Here is a link to a website owned by one of my best friends who had a guide business on the river for 20 years...Also, if you wanted to personally call him I am sure he would be more than happy to answer any question you might have...
http://www.uppermissouri.com/padinfo.htm

I have done the entire 150 miles 3 times and other shorter options another 3 or 4...Great trip..

Here is a link to a website owned by one of my best friends who had a guide business on the river for 20 years...Also, if you wanted to personally call him I am sure he would be more than happy to answer any question you might have...

I have done the entire 150 miles 3 times and other shorter options another 3 or 4...Great trip..
Good info - thanks!

Here's my list, in order of preference - comments are appreciated.

1. Smith River
2. Upper Missouri River
3. North Platte River
4. Green River ABC
5. Green River Lakes

If you were to do only 2 of the 3 sections, which two would you do - 1&2 or 2&3 - and why? Thanks

Good info - thanks!

Here's my list, in order of preference - comments are appreciated.

1. Smith River
2. Upper Missouri River
3. North Platte River
4. Green River ABC
5. Green River Lakes

Our permits are in. Waiting on March 2nd now, fingers crossed!

I just checked and I did not get a permit. :(

Boo!!

I started checking from my phone (several of us put in) and so far 2 nos and then the site and my phone decided they dont like each other anymore. So the last 2 will have to wait til I get home.

Same here - No.

I would be curious to know how many resident vs nonresident permits are given.
Meaning, do they tilt it to favor the residents, but collect less fees or do they tilt
towards the nonresidents and collect more fees, but that's just the cynical side
of me. I thought to myself, "I'm bringing 15 people at $60 each that's going to be
almost a thousand bucks - surely they'll choose me!"

I downloaded the results from last year - they had 27k+ permit requests and and
they gave out about 1200. I think that is what is meant by "slim to none."

I would be curious to know how many resident vs nonresident permits are given.
Meaning, do they tilt it to favor the residents, but collect less fees or do they tilt
towards the nonresidents and collect more fees, but that's just the cynical side
of me.

I would be surprised if they factor in resident vs. non-resident at all. I don't think any other rivers do that, but then again most are run by the federal gov, not the state. Have you heard that they specifically factor residency in for the Smith?