Finally Decided to Sign Up

swmalone

So I have been reading trip reports and drooling over trips and photos for a while. I decided to just go ahead and sign up. My wife and I were so busy with other activities last year that I don't even think we were able to get out for a hike let alone anything overnight. We are already off to a bit better start this year with some hikes in.

We have lived in Utah for a bit over 10 years. Up by the Idaho border. I am embarrassed to say that we have never been to the Uintas. That is the goal for this summer a one or two night trip into the Uintas. So far the area that I have researched the most is the Amethyst Lake area. I am not sure if we want to stick with that or perhaps go the other direction and go to Ryder Lake. I would prefer the least crowded area.

I am also interested in hikes and even short backpacking trips in the Ogden and North region of the state. We have backpacked to White Pine Lake, Steam Mill Lake, and High Creek Lake in the Bear River range up Logan Canyon.

I would love to hear any suggestions or feedback.

Welcome........... lot's of Uinta people here. Search around the forum and see what it has.....

Welcome to BCP. You're on the right track for some amazing experiences in the Uintas.

Welcome! There are lots of people here with expertise in the Uintas and (Utah in general).
Make sure to go back to comment and "like" all the posts you've been drooling over! :)

I'm planning to be in Amethyst July 1-3. I'm also from Northern Utah and hike/backpack in the areas above Davis and Weber counties. There are a couple of places to do quick overnighters in the area.

I'm planning to be in Amethyst July 1-3. I'm also from Northern Utah and hike/backpack in the areas above Davis and Weber counties. There are a couple of places to do quick overnighters in the area.

Where do you do overnighters in Davis or Weber county? To do relatively close overnighters we usually end up heading up Logan Canyon and going to one of the very limited number of small lakes in the area.

@swmalone Malans Basin above Ogden can be a real nice place for a quick overnight trip. I enjoyed that hike anyways, when I had lived in Roy as a teen. I always wanted to go up and camp up there. If you're into hiking peaks, you can supposedly get Mt Ogden right there above, but it may be a bit of a bush whack in places. You can also follow the stream down from Malan Basin and perch yourself atop the waterfall, which is the waterfall in Waterfall Canyon. I would assume there are some decent sites to camp up along Ben Lomond as well. Oh, and you say you live near the north border? How close? I have a brother-in-law who lives in Richmond. I don't know if one can get much closer to Idaho than that without actually crossing the border.