Final day of snowshoe class, Field trip.

kimbur96

I took a snowshoe class through the Colorado Mountain Club. It was two nights in the class room and then a field trip today. We went up to Horsethief Falls. We went off trial quite a few times learning to break trail, how to rotate the person in front to conserve energy, descending steep hills. It was about a 5 mile snowshoe. I had a great time and learned a lot.
The MSR Revo trail snowshoes worked great. I did have one strap come loose but it wasn't a big deal.
One thing I learned was I have been wearing WAY to many clothes. I have been wearing under armor cold gear base layer, then a fleece, then my down jacket. I don't feel hot but on my last hike I was drenched. Today I wore just a merino light weight base layer and my down jacket, hat and gloves. I was pretty cold at the trail head (it was 3f) but in a few minutes I was toasty and even had to loose the hat. At the end I wasn't sweaty. So I found what works for me!
The other lesson hydration bladders when it's 3f out is not a good answer. The tube froze. I was able to stick it in my jacket and get fluid through it finally. But not a good winter way to carry water.
IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5148.JPG IMG_5149.JPG IMG_5153.JPG IMG_5154.JPG IMG_5155-1.JPG

Last edited:
It really is amazing how quickly you heat up. On my last trip I wore a light base layer, a mid-weight fleece layer and a synthetic shirt and I was plenty warm. The only time I put on my down puffer was at the top of the trail where I spent almost an hour eating and taking in the view.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I use a hydration bladder when I'm snowshoeing. I do use the insulated tube and typically don't have problems as long as I remember to blow the water out of the tube and back into the bladder after drinking. If anything freezes it is usually the bite valve and that doesn't take too long to defrost if you put it under some clothing.

It really is amazing how quickly you heat up. On my last trip I wore a light base layer, a mid-weight fleece layer and a synthetic shirt and I was plenty warm. The only time I put on my down puffer was at the top of the trail where I spent almost an hour eating and taking in the view.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
IT's been a learning process. Coming form Florida when I hear it's going to be 3F I think i must put on ALL my clothes. But it's not true especially when you are generating heat. Having been a runner in FL I sweat very quickly and easily. Heat acclimation. Today was a break though in my mentality.

I use a hydration bladder when I'm snowshoeing. I do use the insulated tube and typically don't have problems as long as I remember to blow the water out of the tube and back into the bladder after drinking. If anything freezes it is usually the bite valve and that doesn't take too long to defrost if you put it under some clothing.
I think if I had cleared the tube at the trailhead I may not have had any real issues. I did use the blowback method during the rest of the snowshoe and it worked fine.

Man you are tearing it up out here, lol. We just moved in to Castle Rock this week. I have to go back to Chicago for two grueling weeks of purgatory then I'm back for good. Looking forward to doing all this stuff!