Escalante Arm

Nick

-
I had to take most of April off from camping to deal with health issues, then toward the end of the month I learned I'd probably be getting a revision surgery done on my knee around mid-May. That left a small window to get out and do some much needed boat camping to keep me sane through all of this.

We loaded up the boat and headed south from Salt Lake on Thursday. Nate met me at my place and we picked up @slc_dan and @wes242 along the way. Usually when we get down there after dark we'll stop and car camp some place, but we were psyched to get out on the water, so we did something new. Night launching! I'd never even really boated in the dark, and Lake Powell is full of obstacles, but with a new spotlight in hand and some pretty good sonar charts, we set sail under a nearly full moon. We didn't have far to go, thankfully. I scouted out some beaches on Google Earth further up in Bullfrog Bay. The trickiest part was working our way around all the dozens of buoys placed randomly around the buoy fields and slips. The guys settled in with some beers while I navigated.

Not a great shot, but it's the only one I got that night. It was a pretty cool experience to cruise around the bay at night under a big, bright moon.
IMG_2203.JPG

The next morning we packed up camp and headed down lake. We stopped to see the pothole arch near Lake Canyon. It was just the right height to motivate Nate and Dan to go jump off of it.
escalante-arm-39.jpg

And on we went, stopping next to do a little fishing near Annie's Canyon. Wes pulled out a nice Walleye and some Smallmouth were caught amongst the group.
escalante-arm-1.jpg

Mya, meet Walleye.
escalante-arm-2.jpg

Next we took a drive up Iceberg Canyon and found a beach to stop and have lunch.
escalante-arm-3.jpg
escalante-arm-4.jpg

Heading further south, we took a quick turn into Bowns Canyon. The campsite I stayed at last May was under water still, but not by much. I could see my tent spot maybe 2 feet under as we pulled up closer to the waterfall.
escalante-arm-5.jpg

Eventually we made it to our destination, the Escalante Arm. You can't go through there without stopping to see the Cathedral In The Desert. We killed the motor and let the sound of Dan's guitar echo through the space. The only other sound was the waterfall trickling.
escalante-arm-38.jpg

escalante-arm-6.jpg

We continued up the Escalante all the way to the end. I was surprised to see the depth quickly go down to about 4-5 feet with several hundred yards of lake still to go. The result of silt dropping from the muddy water, I suspect. There aren't a lot of sandy campsites in the Escalante, but we just happened to find a good one right there at the end. This shot was taken the next morning, looking up canyon. There is a nice stabilized ruin called Three Roof Ruin right up in that alcove. It is nearly impossible to reach in low water levels but Dan was able to climb up to it. I'm not sure why the park service put those ugly orange buoys in place here. It's the only place on the lake I've seen anything like that.
escalante-arm-7.jpg

I didn't take many photos at that campsite. In fact, I didn't take that many on this trip at all. I just didn't have the motivation I guess. The next morning I trimmed the motor up to see how close to the flowing Escalante we could get.
escalante-arm-8.jpg

Riffles from the Escalante River where it meets Lake Powell.
escalante-arm-9.jpg escalante-arm-10.jpg escalante-arm-11.jpg

At one point I actually pulled the boat right into the flowing Escalante. My depth meter read 1.5 feet. It was kind of neat. The river ended right here on this day: 37.361978, -110.943846.
escalante-arm-12.jpg

And then on to more uplifting pursuits. It was getting hot. The forecast called for nearly 90˚.
escalante-arm-13.jpg

Nate getting his shred on.
escalante-arm-14.jpg escalante-arm-15.jpg

After wearing out the guys on the wakeboard, we went to Willow Gulch to explore and fish. The water was glassy with an eerie green tint.
escalante-arm-16.jpg escalante-arm-17.jpg

We didn't make it far up Willow before hitting the end of the road. Next up, we explored Bishop Creek. There was a ton of driftwood so we didn't make it too far, but we did find a great little alcove that made a great spot to stop and have lunch.
escalante-arm-18.jpg escalante-arm-37.jpg escalante-arm-40.jpg

Nate and Dan on driftwood patrol on the way out of Bishop.
escalante-arm-19.jpg

Back out on the Escalante. It was just an incredibly nice day out.
escalante-arm-20.jpg

Desert varnish reclaiming the bathtub ring.
escalante-arm-21.jpg

Next up: Davis Gulch.
escalante-arm-22.jpg

Some moki steps in Davis Gulch.
escalante-arm-23.jpg

The end of the water was still a bend or two away from La Gorce Arch. I wanted to try and walk up to it but there were three boats tied up at the end and we didn't feel like bothering them.
escalante-arm-24.jpg

So instead we found a small beach in Davis and got out for a swim.
escalante-arm-25.jpg

Back out in the main channel, we went to check out the Black Trail fin. I've been wanting to see if this goes for a while now. It's in guidebooks but not much else is said. The view of it on Google Earth looks so incredibly unlikely.
black-fin.jpg

Dan volunteered to walk it.
escalante-arm-27.jpg escalante-arm-28.jpg

Yep, it goes. Excited to use this sometime for a longer hike. Dan said that the really narrow section had some carved steps and that it had a lot of exposure but solid footing.
escalante-arm-29.jpg

Going through the narrow part. It would be about 110-120 foot fall from right there.
escalante-arm-30.jpg

We spent the afternoon fishing the Escalante. Fishing wasn't super hot but we did okay for smallmouth bass and Nate got a Walleye. Once we made it to the main channel, we went south looking for another campsite. We stopped in Ribbon Canyon and found this old sunken boat, now high and dry.
escalante-arm-31.jpg

We found a campsite with plenty of beach that night, but it had a bit of lake stink going on. We spent the evening catching more fish, lounging around and cooking dinner. It got windy but calmed down here and there. There was one point after dark that it got totally calm for about a half hour. Perfect mirror image reflections in the water with a nearly full moon lighting it up. I should have gotten my camera out, but I didn't.
escalante-arm-33.jpg

The next day was forecasted to be quite nice, but we woke up to stormy skies. I put the throttle down and raced back to Bullfrog. We avoided heavy rain and just got a few sprinkles along the way.
escalante-arm-34.jpg

The Wingate-Chinle break near the south end of the Waterpocket Fold.
escalante-arm-35.jpg
All around, a very, very nice trip. Can't wait to get back.

I love your Powell boating pictures Nick. Your adventures down there look too fun!

Lake Powell looks like such a great place to explore. I always learn cool stuff in these reports. Googled desert varnish and moki steps and learned about those too. Great report.

This is awesome. I really want to learn how to do this now. How long do you need to shoot to get, let's say 10 seconds of footage?
Thanks! Well my videos I render at 30 frames per second, so to get a video to play for 10 seconds you need 300 shots.
Its pretty simple once you know what your doing.

I had to take most of April off from camping to deal with health issues, then toward the end of the month I learned I'd probably be getting a revision surgery done on my knee around mid-May. That left a small window to get out and do some much needed boat camping to keep me sane through all of this.

We loaded up the boat and headed south from Salt Lake on Thursday. Nate met me at my place and we picked up @slc_dan and @wes242 along the way. Usually when we get down there after dark we'll stop and car camp some place, but we were psyched to get out on the water, so we did something new. Night launching! I'd never even really boated in the dark, and Lake Powell is full of obstacles, but with a new spotlight in hand and some pretty good sonar charts, we set sail under a nearly full moon. We didn't have far to go, thankfully. I scouted out some beaches on Google Earth further up in Bullfrog Bay. The trickiest part was working our way around all the dozens of buoys placed randomly around the buoy fields and slips. The guys settled in with some beers while I navigated.

Not a great shot, but it's the only one I got that night. It was a pretty cool experience to cruise around the bay at night under a big, bright moon.
IMG_2203.JPG

The next morning we packed up camp and headed down lake. We stopped to see the pothole arch near Lake Canyon. It was just the right height to motivate Nate and Dan to go jump off of it.
View attachment 30319

And on we went, stopping next to do a little fishing near Annie's Canyon. Wes pulled out a nice Walleye and some Smallmouth were caught amongst the group.
View attachment 30281

Mya, meet Walleye.
View attachment 30282

Next we took a drive up Iceberg Canyon and found a beach to stop and have lunch.
View attachment 30283
View attachment 30284

Heading further south, we took a quick turn into Bowns Canyon. The campsite I stayed at last May was under water still, but not by much. I could see my tent spot maybe 2 feet under as we pulled up closer to the waterfall.
View attachment 30285

Eventually we made it to our destination, the Escalante Arm. You can't go through there without stopping to see the Cathedral In The Desert. We killed the motor and let the sound of Dan's guitar echo through the space. The only other sound was the waterfall trickling.
View attachment 30318

View attachment 30286

We continued up the Escalante all the way to the end. I was surprised to see the depth quickly go down to about 4-5 feet with several hundred yards of lake still to go. The result of silt dropping from the muddy water, I suspect. There aren't a lot of sandy campsites in the Escalante, but we just happened to find a good one right there at the end. This shot was taken the next morning, looking up canyon. There is a nice stabilized ruin called Three Roof Ruin right up in that alcove. It is nearly impossible to reach in low water levels but Dan was able to climb up to it. I'm not sure why the park service put those ugly orange buoys in place here. It's the only place on the lake I've seen anything like that.
View attachment 30287

I didn't take many photos at that campsite. In fact, I didn't take that many on this trip at all. I just didn't have the motivation I guess. The next morning I trimmed the motor up to see how close to the flowing Escalante we could get.
View attachment 30288

Riffles from the Escalante River where it meets Lake Powell.
View attachment 30289 View attachment 30290 View attachment 30291

At one point I actually pulled the boat right into the flowing Escalante. My depth meter read 1.5 feet. It was kind of neat. The river ended right here on this day: 37.361978, -110.943846.
View attachment 30292

And then on to more uplifting pursuits. It was getting hot. The forecast called for nearly 90˚.
View attachment 30293

Nate getting his shred on.
View attachment 30294 View attachment 30295

After wearing out the guys on the wakeboard, we went to Willow Gulch to explore and fish. The water was glassy with an eerie green tint.
View attachment 30296 View attachment 30297

We didn't make it far up Willow before hitting the end of the road. Next up, we explored Bishop Creek. There was a ton of driftwood so we didn't make it too far, but we did find a great little alcove that made a great spot to stop and have lunch.
View attachment 30298 View attachment 30317 View attachment 30320

Nate and Dan on driftwood patrol on the way out of Bishop.
View attachment 30299

Back out on the Escalante. It was just an incredibly nice day out.
View attachment 30300

Desert varnish reclaiming the bathtub ring.
View attachment 30301

Next up: Davis Gulch.
View attachment 30302

Some moki steps in Davis Gulch.
View attachment 30303

The end of the water was still a bend or two away from La Gorce Arch. I wanted to try and walk up to it but there were three boats tied up at the end and we didn't feel like bothering them.
View attachment 30304

So instead we found a small beach in Davis and got out for a swim.
View attachment 30305

Back out in the main channel, we went to check out the Black Trail fin. I've been wanting to see if this goes for a while now. It's in guidebooks but not much else is said. The view of it on Google Earth looks so incredibly unlikely.
View attachment 30321

Dan volunteered to walk it.
View attachment 30307 View attachment 30308

Yep, it goes. Excited to use this sometime for a longer hike. Dan said that the really narrow section had some carved steps and that it had a lot of exposure but solid footing.
View attachment 30309

Going through the narrow part. It would be about 110-120 foot fall from right there.
View attachment 30310

We spent the afternoon fishing the Escalante. Fishing wasn't super hot but we did okay for smallmouth bass and Nate got a Walleye. Once we made it to the main channel, we went south looking for another campsite. We stopped in Ribbon Canyon and found this old sunken boat, now high and dry.
View attachment 30311

We found a campsite with plenty of beach that night, but it had a bit of lake stink going on. We spent the evening catching more fish, lounging around and cooking dinner. It got windy but calmed down here and there. There was one point after dark that it got totally calm for about a half hour. Perfect mirror image reflections in the water with a nearly full moon lighting it up. I should have gotten my camera out, but I didn't.
View attachment 30313

The next day was forecasted to be quite nice, but we woke up to stormy skies. I put the throttle down and raced back to Bullfrog. We avoided heavy rain and just got a few sprinkles along the way.
View attachment 30314

The Wingate-Chinle break near the south end of the Waterpocket Fold.
View attachment 30315
All around, a very, very nice trip. Can't wait to get back.
Dang it now you got me jonesing to go down there. We need to get a group together and go down.

Fantastic! I was bummed I got rained out of the Davis/Fiftymile packraft trip but sounds like the lake level next year will be even lower. I can wait...can't get the lower Escalante out of my head.