Eating gel on the trail

Vegan.Hiker

Does anyone have experience eating those gel energy packs while backpacking? My wife was bicycle shopping this weekend and I noticed that the cycle shops sell them. There was a big rally the next day and I noticed 2 different presumed cyclists come in and purchase full boxes. I asked the salesman that was helping my wife about them and he said he uses them and that he finds they work well. I don't like stopping to cook a hot meal for lunch so often feel malnourished eating just snacks like nuts and fruit during the day. These packets seem light enough and I was thinking they might be good supplements on tough or long hikes, but I'm weary they are nothing more than caffeine packets.

Any testimonials?

Last edited:
We've used them, and I'd say it depends. One thing to note is that most of the gels have little to no protein, so you'd want to factor in how you perform hiking on the type of energy the gels provide.

I am a super picky jerk about food, and I can barely choke those down, plus they upset my special needs GI system, so I will now only eat them under duress or in extreme circumstances. I'd much rather just carry extra small snacks like power bars to eat on the trail if we are not stopping for lunch. I personally don't mind eating bars and small snacks while walking. Since you say you feel malnourished when you do that, maybe consider adding some additional protein dense items.

My husband and his much lower maintenance stomach use the gels, but solely for a quick pick me up on challenging exit routes or if he's totally out of gas. Or he will sometimes feed them to someone on the trail with us if they are flagging badly. They work for him for that purpose, but he's never tried them as a complete lunch subtitute without other protein dense items.

I like the GU gels. Salted caramel is the best. They are cheap, so just grab some and try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I like the GU gels. Salted caramel is the best. They are cheap, so just grab some and try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I use them occasionally when cycling. They are very sweet, and should not be confused with balanced nutrition. I've never considered taking them backpacking for two reasons:

1. They are not balanced nutrition, they are really just instant energy. I want long term nutrition on the trail. It's not a bike race, it's a day-long hike in the middle of many days of backpacking.

2. I hate the fact that all the packaging is still left over after you use them. If you used them for lunch, you'd have half your bear can full of wrappers after a few days.

On the other hand, when my dad was in hospice care, and not eating enough to stay alive, I used to sneak this into him. He loved chocolate, and one or two of these may have helped him a bit, since he couldn't stand to eat the boiled green beans and other delights on his meal tray...

Thanks everyone. I'll just have to give it a try and see if my stomach can handle them and if they feel effective for me. I wouldn't totally substitute my lunch with them but use them as a pick me up when needed. My favorite trail food is still an avocado and I eat lots of nuts on the trail for protein, I'll pick some of the gels up to see if they're a good complement to what I already eat.

Funny you guys mention the salted caramel GU. That's the exact flavor the guy at the cycle shop told me he eats.

I'm late but I'll add my .02 since I like these. They are most def not a lunch/food substitute. They are a great source of quick energy when you need a pick me up. When I'm on the trail and its one of those days where you're doing a lot of hill climbing or dealing with technical terrain, and a meal is still a ways off, and you are not ready to stop, but your body kind of is, it's great to have them on hand for a little energy blast. Just have water ready because they really are sweet.

Hiking up LeConte Canyon my body rebounded nicely after enjoying Honey Stinger Chews. Only wish had more for remainder of trip.

Hiking up LeConte Canyon ...
Ah…I need to get back to LeConte Canyon.

I've been carrying Gu Chomps for the purpose of energy for the last few miles of the day. Been using those because they are locally available - not really particular about the brand. Quick energy when you are ready to bonk is what they are for.