Dinosaur NM

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
After hiking in Capital Reef Friday I had plans to meet with a friend to descend BlueJohn Canyon all the way into and out of Horseshoe Canyon. The route of the infamous Ralston epic. Sadly, while I packed my GoPro, I forgot to pack my spare batteries and it was DOA. I could type out the whole story, or just direct you to this TR: http://canyoncollective.com/threads/bluejohn-canyon-ralston-route.19250/

I originally planned to adventure in Moonshine Wash Sunday before headed back to SLC but weather threatened to get me stuck in the desert so my plans changed. I decided to adventure to the northeast section of the state since I had not been there since I was wee. Up to Dinosaur NM.

Dinosaur NM 001.jpg Dinosaur NM 008.jpg Dinosaur NM 013.jpg Dinosaur NM 015.jpg Dinosaur NM 016.jpg

It is crazy to think deeply about dinosaurs. We truly are a blink in time.

After visiting the quarry I hopped over to Split Mountain. The storm moving in and a severe stiffness/limp from hiking BlueJohn kept me on the road. Shame because I really liked what I saw. I'll have to venture back.

Dinosaur NM 021.jpg Dinosaur NM 023.jpg Dinosaur NM 024.jpg Dinosaur NM 025.jpg

I then went over to Colorado to go to the Echo Park Overlook but that road was closed with no good warnings. I was kinda miffed. I feel NPS is usually pretty good at warning about closures. Of well it was pretty and I got to visit Colorado for the first time in three years. :D I even got the only sunlight of the day while that way.

Dinosaur NM 026.jpg

I then got to brave the entirety of the end of March storm for the drive home. I hit it in Vernal, crazy lightning and all. It was more like a summer monsooner! By the time I got to Strawberry I was in a full blizzard, which abated by Heber and then hit full force while I drove down Parley's. Got to love March.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I tool love this Park. A full range for fun stuff. Natural history, whitewater, crazy geology, wonderful riparian areas, hiking and 4WD exploring. Thanks for the reminder Scott.