Detailed land name info

BIGHORNtracks

I am wondering, does anyone here know where you can get detailed info on names that have been given to canyons and ridges and peaks, ect.?

The reason I ask is because in my research, specifically looking up spring locations, I have come across names of places that I can not find on any map.

More specific example would be, I read an old mining document and a thesis paper from the UofU on an area that I want to go into.
Both documents had specific names of places and locations of springs. Some of the springs were seasonal, others ran year round.

I have Delorme topo quads software. I also have Alltrials.com software. I also have several USGS maps of the area. None of the names of the canyons, draws, peaks, ridges, ext are listed on any of the maps I have access to.

I have not seen a map that showed the names of each and every canyon on a range.

The documents I have read, came with no maps.

I would like to know how to find out the names of these smaller, less significant places.
Main peaks, basins, and valleys are always listed, but the resource material that gives me the detailed info I want does not come on any maps.

Any ideas?

I can see springs on the map. But only 4 of the 12 run year round.
Don't want to make plans to hit a dry spring. Especially this year!

Land and geographic names are tough... The features are sure more enduring than man's attempt to name them all. How a feature ends up with an approved USGS is a whole complicated process in and of itself. The only recommendation I can give you other than Google is to search out some of the hard copy books that can be found but are out of print. There is one called Utah Place Names and there is another specifically about the Park City area. Good luck. Good research project.

UPDATE - it looks like you still can buy Utah Place Names from the UofU press. http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/upcat/id/1501

... they have a tough price, Nick.
I love the book that @langutah mentioned.

Gesendet via iPhone 6 mit CrapaTalk