Deer Creek to Dry Creek Trail #43

Mr. Me

Photographer & Hiker
After having drank through 7 water bottles, I decided to call it quits, and returned home, making this my first failed adventure. This is my trip report.

Me and my mom biked from our home up to the Granite Flats Campground, and then we split up, and I continued up the Deer Creek to Dry Creek trail #43. I quickly found that the trail wasn't suitable for biking up, and so I pushed my bike up an additional 2,633 ft.
I almost ran out of water, but then while leaving my bike, I ventured out a little bit, and seeing a waterfall ahead that looked safe enough to drink from, I refilled and continued on.
I basically got to the top, but when a hiker told me there was no way I was going to be able to get my bike over the approaching saddle, and with the following three reasons in mind, I decided to turn around.

1. things kept getting steeper, and I had to bike back down the mountain.
  2. I didn't know what the terrain looked liked on the other side, and if I could bike down it.
  3. I was running out of water, again.

And so after having climbed 4600 feet, I decided to turn around for a fun downhill ride home -- until my tire blew out.

My worn out tires finally gave out this time around.

Pros
  • Few people on the trail.
  • There are a couple of waterfalls.
  • The climb never got too steep (although it did continue on for many miles).

Cons
  • little shade -- bring lots of water (you can fill up on water at the rock canyon campgrounds).
  • This hike is one-way -- there is no way to loop back around to your starting point.
  • There are much prettier hikes in the area.
Further Reading

There was a little stream that crossed the trail a few times.

I started hiking at the bottom of the canyon.

Climbing my way up.

And as you can see, I pushed my bike up quite a lot of mountain before turning around.

How was the DH and at what point did your tire blow? I also pushed my bike up a parts of steep trail in Hobble Creek Canyon last week. I also had to walk some of the DH section on the "other side" but most of it was a blast (and luckily it was a loop even though 3 miles was on the road). It's fun to get out on the lesser used trails sometimes. Good job.

Last edited:
The DH wasn't that great. It is doable, I only had to get off my bike for like 5% of it all, but it was slow going. There were many big rocks and divots in the trail.
I saw on a map at the trailhead that the trail would take me through the mountains and back out to the valley, however, there wasn't any topographical information on the map, so I had no idea what I was getting into.
However after doing this trail, I would like to do some more DH biking. I'll have to try out Hobble Creek Canyon.

Luckily, my tire blew out as soon as I got to the Timpanogos Cave Visitors Center. So i was able to stop at the center and call home and have my Dad come pick me up.

This picture does a better job of showing the DH trail conditions. The trail looked similar to this most of the way down the mountain.

I was using tires that were in between road bike tires and mountain bike tires, and I forgot to take my bike lock of, so it was rattling against my bike the entire way down. Perhaps if I was a little more prepared, I would have thought better of the DH.

qGUwySB.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
B Thorofare loop from Deer Creek Trip Planning 20
fossana Deer Creek out-and-back (Grand Canyon NP) Hiking & Camping 5
S Deer Creek into the Thorofare Trip Planning 6
Eugene Monument Point to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 9
Jackson Question about Deer Creek Trip Planning 2
cmgz Grand Canyon-Bill Hall Trail to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 6
TIMP Grand Canyon Bill Hall Trailhead to Deer Creek Falls and Thunder Spring General Discussion 3
Nick Deer Creek Ice-Off On The Water 12
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 10
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 1 Thunder River Tr.-->Esplanade-->Tapeats-->Deer. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
natylka Bald Mountain at Deer Park-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Howells Outdoors XC Ski at Southern Utah's Deer Valley Winter Sports 3
Howells Outdoors Cross-country Ski at Deer Valley Hiking & Camping 8
gnwatts Deer Canyon, Cedar Mesa Hiking & Camping 2
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
slieb Lower Muddy Creek in Winter? Trip Planning 7
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19