Coyote Gulch Loop Starting From Water Tanks

Devin Ashby

Don't Bust The Crust!
I need some help here as I can't seem to find info the I need on websites. Also I am sure this has been asked many times before, so if there is another thread that has my answer please direct me to the link.

Here's my questions.
- Can a loop be done by parking at the Fourty Mile Ridge water tank, (given the info I find of the road after the tank being impassible due to sand) hiking down the road to the trail for Crack in the Wall up coyote to Jacob Hamblin, and back to the water tank by exiting JH?
- Milage? How far is it from the water tank to crack in the wall? How far from crack in the wall to JH? How far from JH back to the Water Tank?

Here's my plan, and is it feasible given shorter time frame?
- Leave Salt Lake City at 2pm Friday. Plan to arrive at Water Tank by 9pm. Spend night at trailhead. Saturday morning, hike from water tank, to crack in the wall, into Coyote, walk all of Lower Coyote all the way to Jacob Hamblin. Spend Saturday night at JH. Sunday morning, exit at JH and walk back to car at water tank.

I am hoping it's not more than 4 miles from the car to crack in the wall, or more than 4 from JH back to the car. I know doing the Escalante confluence up Jacob Hamblin I can do in a day, just need to know the Milage to get from the water tank to crack in the wall.

Also, if our vehicle can get all the way in on the Fourty mile ridge road, how much Milage/distance does it save?

Thanks for the help guys!

Also, glad i searched and found that WAG bags are required down there now.

Yes, that loop and similar routes are done frequently from the water tank. Another option is dropping in at lower Hurricane Wash then coming out Crack.

It's not impassable if you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle and know how to drive in deep, soft sand. In fact, it's pretty damn fun.

Distance is under 3 miles between the two trailheads. Bust out Google Earth and draw it out - that will solve all of your distance questions.

Re: your plan. The trailheads are not campsites and are often quite full of cars this time of year, you really shouldn't camp at them. Stop somewhere better along Hole-in-the-Rock then drive the last bit to the TH in the morning.

Sounds like you're basically doing the whole hike except the exit in one day. If you like to move through a place quickly, that is fine, but it's not enough time to really take the place in.

Yes, that loop and similar routes are done frequently from the water tank. Another option is dropping in at lower Hurricane Wash then coming out Crack.

It's not impassable if you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle and know how to drive in deep, soft sand. In fact, it's pretty damn fun.

Distance is under 3 miles between the to trailheads. Bust out Google Earth and draw it out - that will solve all of your distance questions.

Re: your plan. The trailheads are not campsites and are often quite full of cars this time of year, you really shouldn't camp at them. Stop somewhere better along Hole-in-the-Rock then drive the last bit to the TH in the morning.

Sounds like you're basically doing the whole hike except the exit in one day. If you like to move through a place quickly, that is fine, but it's not enough time to really take the place in.

Thanks Nick. I should have clarified that we wont camp at the trailhead, but nearby. It's been 15 years since i've done Coyote, and I was just a 14 year old kid then. I'll get on google and measure. Thanks!

Did you ever complete this? I am looking to do something similar in September and would love to get some tips if you have them!

Did you ever complete this? I am looking to do something similar in September and would love to get some tips if you have them!
I did not. Due to the weekend i planned being Fathers day, I did not go so I could be home with my family. I went and did the Little Grand Canyon instead as an overnight. Good luck.