Convertible Pants

Nick

-
I'm way overdue for some new convertible pants. Made the mistake of wearing them through too many canyons towards the end of last year so I'm down to one pair with lots of extra ventilation. What brands/models to you guys like?

I've struggled a lot to find good ones that fit right and last over the years. I tried the REI brand a couple years ago, the Sahara I think. I liked them but they don't double seam the crotches (at least didn't then) and I blew two pairs out on the first or second trip in them. After getting the stink eye from the lady at the returns counter, I took the refund from those and picked up a pair of the North Face Paramount Peak pants which I have loved and bought a few pairs since. But sadly, they're like $80, and I just found out REI quit carrying them so I can't blow my dividend on a pair like I was hoping. :(

I scouted around and I can find them elsewhere for about the same price, but no dividend usage so the stokeometer is low. So now I'm debating trying out these Mountain Hardware Mesa backpacking convertibles that are on super sale at Sierra Trading Post. They look pretty nice and with the latest coupon I can get them for a bit over $30 per pair (usually $80). I'd buy up a bunch if I knew they were good. But I'm pretty worried about whether they're big enough and STP has a pretty crappy shipping policy both getting it to me and returning it. I do a XXL in North Face pants so I would think a XXL in Mountain Hardware would be okay? Also, anyone know what 'Canyon twill' is? Sounds like it might not be the typical nylon quick dry stuff. Anyone have any experience between the two brands? Any other suggestions?

I just got some pants at the Golite store for $40 on clearance. I like them a lot. I'm 6'5'' and have trouble finding stuff that fits well. These fit great.

Nice! Those look pretty good and the only size they have left is mine! Did you get them on the online store or the local one?

I got mine in the store. I was planning on dropping @ $80 at the Columbia outlet store. I got the last pair but they are getting more in soon. I blew out my old pair of pants hiking out of Upper Salt Creek to Cathedral Butte Thursday. Thanks for all the info. My wife and I loved the trip.

I have a lot of Mountain Hardwear pants and I always need to buy them a size bigger.
MH somehow comes really small. Just ordered a bunch of MH hiking shorts at STP,I had the same problem with shorts and was down to one pair.

I have a lot of Mountain Hardwear pants and I always need to buy them a size bigger.
MH somehow comes really small. Just ordered a bunch of MH hiking shorts at STP,I had the same problem with shorts and was down to one pair.

Wow. When you have to size up on a brand, I know I should just forget about it! Thanks. ;)

Nick

have you tried Eastern Mountain Sport? They have great convertibles and they usually have a reasonable price. They are comfy, too .

I actually prefer the EMS pants over the REI ones. They feel slightly better quality wise but not by too much. Unfortunately the shortest they come in is a 30" inseam. I can wear them with boots but I walk on them in sneakers. For all you tall folk that shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to try a pair if the new Kuhl zip offs.

I'm interested in this topic as well because I'm going to the GC this year and am worried about getting sunburned. I fry easily and need a good pear of convertible pants and a comfortable long sleeve shirt.

That's so funny because for me mountain hardwear fits great. But everyone is different to. I love the durability of them as well. If you find they fit I'd recommend them.

I actually prefer the EMS pants over the REI ones. They feel slightly better quality wise but not by too much. Unfortunately the shortest they come in is a 30" inseam. I can wear them with boots but I walk on them in sneakers. For all you tall folk that shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to try a pair if the new Kuhl zip offs.

I'm interested in this topic as well because I'm going to the GC this year and am worried about getting sunburned. I fry easily and need a good pear of convertible pants and a comfortable long sleeve shirt.
For sleeves you could look into getting the ones for cycling. I have some i use in the cool seasons and they are great. I know they make some for summer too.

That's so funny because for me mountain hardwear fits great. But everyone is different to. I love the durability of them as well. If you find they fit I'd recommend them.

that's interesting indeed
But eventually the women's version is different than the men's version.
I never had size issues with any other brand before, only with the Mountain Hardwear gear. I still love all of their stuff and buy it a lot.

That just reminded me that I used to have a pair of Mountain Hardware shorts that fit great and I totally loved them until I destroyed them In Escalante a few years back. I just pulled the trigger on a couple pairs of the MH Mesa pants from STP. We'll see how it goes...

5055765493_3c65245230_z.jpg

I just got some pants at the Golite store for $40 on clearance. I like them a lot. I'm 6'5'' and have trouble finding stuff that fits well. These fit great.

Good to know I'm not the only tall dude having trouble finding convertible pants that don't look like the shrunk while I'm wearing them.

I'd go for the Kuhl brand if they made a 36" inseam. Liberator I think. Apparently they are "award winning." I have a few of their products and love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That just reminded me that I used to have a pair of Mountain Hardware shorts that fit great and I totally loved them until I destroyed them In Escalante a few years back. I just pulled the trigger on a couple pairs of the MH Mesa pants from STP.

I'll spare everyone a picture of my blown out "inseam." I just used the SAMs club brand. They held up a lot longer than I thought. But because of my size they never really fit well.

Got my Mtn Hardware Mesa convertibles from STP today. Sweet pants in many ways. They fit good on the waist and length but they're so slim on the legs that they won't work. :( Works fine for walking but squatting, sitting, etc = no bueno. Being large sucks.

Not convertible, but maybe consider these for trips where you expect to abuse your pants/shorts... They dry quick, and are tough as hell. I love em.

I know its like a month later... but I have 2 pairs of Prana Stretch Zion pants and they are the most comfortable pants I own. I have a convertible pair and regular pair. They stretch and shed water too. I'm tall and skinny though. I got mine from backcountry.com - used them on a couple backpacking trips in the Adirondacks... I recommend checking them out.

I love Prana's clothing. I have a couple pairs of capris I bought a few years ago for my trip to Greece. They are still in excellent condition, and are the best for traveling as they are wrinkle free.