Cobble Beach Oregon and the Tide Pools

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
I took a trip up to Oregon over the Memorial Day weekend and then some. I'll be posting several of the segments of the trip on here as they make for good places to see.

Reposted from my blog at www.livevicariouslythroughus.blogspot.com

Friday night we made it to the condo in Otter Rock after a long drive across Oregon. It was nice to roll in and know that we wouldn't be doing any more serious drives for a while. Saturday morning, we woke up before everyone else and took a walk down on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. THE OCEAN! It had been over 10 years since I'd been to the ocean, the last time in California. The Oregon Coast was new and exciting. It is beautiful!
I loved looking at the sharp rugged drop off from the land to water, sometimes with a small ribbon of sand between the two, other locations just having the white froth of waves pounding endlessly into the rocks.
Down below we saw several seals relaxing on rocks out of the water. It's amazing how awkward they look on land (I think they look like fat little sausages), but how graceful they are once they're back in the water.
A bald eagle was nearby, possibly on the lookout for a seal pup he could capture for breakfast.

After breakast of our own, we went to Yaquina Head to visit the lighthouse, Cobble Beach, and the tidepools.
Cobble Beach is amazing. It's a solid stretch of smooth dark rocks with no sand to be seen. The cobbles were formed from hot basaltic lava hitting the ocean, exploding, then being worn down into smooth stones. We were lucky enough to be there at low tide so we could go explore the tide pools, but I've heard that high tide is pretty cool too. You couldn't see the tidepools then, but the as the waves crash into the cobbles, it sounds pretty neat.
The Yaquina Lighthouse was pretty neat from Cobble Beach. I liked this picture of a seagull and the lighthouse.
The tide pools were really fun to explore too. Large reefs of mussels clung to the rocks.
Anemones were plentiful in the lower pools. If you touched them, the tentacles would cling to your finger a little bit.
Another pool was full of purple sea urchins. They were very spiny and we touched them carefully. We also petted a few starfish.
Another shot of the lighthouse. Very photogenic!
We actually spent quite a bit of time at the transition between the cobbles and the tidepools finding and catching small crabs. A volunteer said there are 8 different kinds of crabs in the tidepools, but we just had fun catching them. Most of them looked like the one above.
This crab looked like a body builder because of his large claws.
Some small (hermit?) crabs lived in small spiral shells. They had blue edges to their claws. Nobody got pinched, but it sure was fun trying to find the biggest crabs. Some liked trying to find the baby crabs. The bigger ones were the fastest and smartest- they've learned they have to be that way to survive. We really liked it here!

Featured image for homepage:
slide.jpg

Cobble Beach looks awesome. I am SOOOO overdue for a trip to the coast. We were looking at doing something similar and renting a house or something out there. Maybe even bringing the dogs with. Any suggestions?

Cobble Beach looks awesome. I am SOOOO overdue for a trip to the coast. We were looking at doing something similar and renting a house or something out there. Maybe even bringing the dogs with. Any suggestions?

Ahh- suggestions.

Here's what we did for our trip. I'll list the places we visited and tell what are dog friendly.

National Fish Hatchery & Sturgeon center (no idea about dogs)
Bonneville Dam (no idea)
Columbia Gorge Waterfalls and Oneonta Gorge Slot Canyon (dog friendly)
Gonna hit up Eagle Creek next time I'm out there, I got numerous recommendations on it. It's in the columbia gorge
Rose Garden - dog friendly
Trail of Ten Falls in Silver Falls State Park- no dogs
Ape Cave- no dogs
Trail of Two Forests- no dogs
Fort Vancouver NHS- no idea
Covered Bridges (dogs)
Yaquina Head Lighthouse and Cobble Beach (no idea)
Oregon Coast Aquarium (no dogs)
Hagerman Fossil Beds NM- no idea
Hagerman Fish Hatchery- no idea

It's probaby like trips to a lot of places- a crapshoot about what allows dogs and what doesnt.